RE: How many spwaw players do you think there are? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Puukkoo -> RE: How many spwaw players do you think there are? (6/8/2006 9:54:09 PM)

There certainly are duplicate downloads, I have downloaded 8.2 at least three times.

But then there are some who are not active players and who retain some older version of the game at old summer cottage machine that has not internet connection. Then there are some who still play SP1-3.

My quick estimation: 5000-15000 on Earth.

Warrior -> RE: How many spwaw players do you think there are? (6/9/2006 1:25:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puukkoo

There certainly are duplicate downloads, I have downloaded 8.2 at least three times.

But then there are some who are not active players and who retain some older version of the game at old summer cottage machine that has not internet connection. Then there are some who still play SP1-3.

My quick estimation: 5000-15000 on Earth.

I tend to agree. My guess would be about 10,00 total. A fairly exclusive club.

Svennemir -> RE: How many spwaw players do you think there are? (6/9/2006 1:54:57 AM)

We must remember that quite a number of sequels have been made to the original Steel Panthers, which indicates that the market might not be that small. One problem is that people will still have to stumble on SPWAW before the become actual players. Also there is the question how we define 'regular players'. I for one tend to play SPWAW or SPMBT sometimes, but it can take a long time, several months, where I do other stuff instead. Then someday I'll take start another game.

I think some of the later estimates, i.e. several thousands, are the most realistic, but these estimates - as you will all agree - have little meaning because of the difficulty estimating numbers of players that are not on forums etc.

By the way I used version 5.something for a very long time without updating, so the number of downloads lately are a poor indicator. Also I almost never download extra scenarios. I haven't finished even 10% of those supplied with the game in the first place... there must be quite a few players out there.

Randy -> RE: How many spwaw players do you think there are? (6/9/2006 6:53:58 AM)

Here is something else to throw into the mix. While I am partial to Matrix, how many people play all versions of Steel Panthers? As I said I am partial to Matrix, but I prefer modern stuff so I play SPMBT quite a bit. So I wonder how many people play all the SP versions?

azraelck -> RE: How many spwaw players do you think there are? (6/9/2006 7:22:00 AM)

I have never even heard of the series until I wandered across SPWaW earlier this year in boredom after my wreck had me sidelined for a bit. One of the best things to come out of that wreck, outside my '06 Cobalt. 

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> RE: How many spwaw players do you think there are? (6/9/2006 8:10:09 PM)

Steel Panthers comes and goes.

Right now, Win SPMBT and WinSPWW2 from Shrapnel has probably got the ball. They have made the biggest recent splash on the SP scene.

I have personally created about 50 Steel Panthers players, but it's been fairly quiet for 2006 for me.

Steel Panthers, regardless of it's obvious age, where software is concerned, yet still delivers a solid wargaming experience.
You can't normally say that about a lot of games.

Erik Rutins -> RE: How many spwaw players do you think there are? (6/9/2006 9:16:05 PM)

TokyoBoy,

quote:

ORIGINAL: TokyoBoyTensai
Then again, how can anyone know anything about anyone here without a meeting in person? Flashfyre and Alby could be pedophiles eeking out their long sentences in a prison cell somewhere which allows inmates internet access.

Consider this a first and final warning. If you continue personal attacks on other forum members, you will receive a free involuntary vacation from this forum.

If you have any comments on this, please PM me.

Regards,

- Erik

Riun T -> RE: How many spwaw players do you think there are? (6/11/2006 10:06:01 AM)

Thankyou Erik, about time someone of substance and ability to do something in this forum FINALLY stepped up to be recognized on TBT's crass content and true intentions!!
OH POOO I guess I'm just a beer bellied grump thou EH!!

m10bob -> RE: How many spwaw players do you think there are? (6/11/2006 2:50:57 PM)

I'm gonna guess there are more like 10 or even 20,000 players. Some time ago,somebody did some serious research and came up with an educated guess that maybe only 10 or 20% of the players EVER posted on the forum, (which is only an indirect product of the game itself.)
Since the game can live on a computer in a dorm room or military rec room, with the ability to "save" many games at once, I suspect the number is still pretty high.
While I was overseas, playing "Combat" (of the first kind), we still managed to return to our hooches and play AH's Panzer Blitz, and later Panzer Battles..
Stuff like that never gets counted in forum polls............
The U.S.Army is very aware of the popularity of wargames (within the military), and provides access to them, (to the extent they even funded their own computer wargames and simulators for the edification of their current warriors.
Proof of this is the number of active duty people we currently have here on these forums...............
I STILL feel Matrixgames made an error when they decided years ago to not support/fund a modern era update to the SP platform...........[8D]

junk2drive -> RE: How many spwaw players do you think there are? (6/11/2006 4:31:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Riun T

OH POOO I guess I'm just a beer bellied grump thou EH!!

Post a photo. We'll start a poll and get back to you,

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI