XML File Editing for Dummies (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

Beach23BoyP -> XML File Editing for Dummies (6/7/2006 3:19:53 AM)

Someone needs to do a tutorial on editing the XML file. I don't have the time, plus I'm not smart enough! I just edit stuff and then save it and see what happens. Been doing that for the last three years or so.

Until you look at it you will not believe what it can do (especially you OOTPers). All you have to do go to the XML folder and save/copy the "puresim.xml" to another name. Mine is named "Beach23BoyP_51_Fantasy.xml". Then load-up your new XML up using Wordpad. (Don't forget to change the DESCRIPTION line to something you will recognize inside the program. Mine just says "Beach23BoyP_51_Fantasy" -- the same as the file name.)

I just changed the base running/catcher arm modifiers because there were way too many stolen bases and the catchers weren't throwing out enough runners as far as I was concerned. Plus, I jacked up the HRs a bit.

You can easily change almost ANYTHING in the program! Try it. You will like it. After you edit stuff be sure and go inside the program and force your association (league) to use your new XML file (engine file).

It is that easy. Trust me. You can make PS walk and talk -- and spit out whatever stats you want! I couldn't see playing PureSim without editing the XML file. You'll feel the same after the first night of changing it to what you want. It is without a doubt the best thing Shaun has ever done.

jzicc -> RE: XML File Editing for Dummies (6/7/2006 4:26:19 PM)

I did a lot of fooling around with MVP 2004 datafiles so it is great to see that he made it so accessible ---- A QUESTION --- I assume you don't have to Recompact or anything? It just reads the file? (sorry if it's a dumb question -- I always thought XML was the newer version of satellite radio[8D]

Beach23BoyP -> RE: XML File Editing for Dummies (6/7/2006 4:56:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jzicc

I did a lot of fooling around with MVP 2004 datafiles so it is great to see that he made it so accessible ---- A QUESTION --- I assume you don't have to Recompact or anything? It just reads the file? (sorry if it's a dumb question -- I always thought XML was the newer version of satellite radio[8D]

You simply edit in Wordpad, notepad or via the IE Explorer "source" file part. And then save it like any other file.

I'm now thinking about writing a simple tutorial that shows how to change the basic stuff. If I do I'll post it on my website as a pdf file. I may build to it over time.

sposfan -> RE: XML File Editing for Dummies (6/7/2006 5:12:25 PM)

Here's a link to a thread on the old site. Not sure how relevant eveything is, I haven't had a chance to check out the new XML yet.

http://p089.ezboard.com/fpuresimbaseballfrm21.showMessage?topicID=558.topic

Amaroq -> RE: XML File Editing for Dummies (6/8/2006 4:57:22 AM)

I'll have a go at the old thread later, maybe this evening, maybe this weekend, and I'll post back *here* things I've noticed which are significantly different.

lynchjm24 -> RE: XML File Editing for Dummies (6/8/2006 5:38:38 AM)

That guy who posted that is a dope :).

sposfan -> RE: XML File Editing for Dummies (6/8/2006 5:55:11 AM)

maybe so, but he's just so damn cute! :)

KG Erwin -> RE: XML File Editing for Dummies (6/8/2006 6:51:30 AM)

LOL! Play nice, lynchjm24.  None of us know the big picture, 'cept  Shaun.   We just get a glimpse behind the Wizard's curtain once in awhile, which is fine with me. [;)]

Beach23BoyP -> RE: XML File Editing for Dummies (6/8/2006 6:53:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lynchjm24

Great stuff. I had forgotten all about that! I'm now off the hook!

jzicc -> RE: XML File Editing for Dummies (6/8/2006 1:30:55 PM)

quote:

your quote : --- "Anyway, this is going to be my last thread on the PS/OOTP/FOF boards. I need to find something productive to do with the time I waste on these things."

I'm glad you did not follow through on this...[:D]

lynchjm24 -> RE: XML File Editing for Dummies (6/8/2006 2:55:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jzicc

quote:

your quote : --- "Anyway, this is going to be my last thread on the PS/OOTP/FOF boards. I need to find something productive to do with the time I waste on these things."

I'm glad you did not follow through on this...[:D]

I think I was mad about something that day - but I don't think I ever meant it in a literal sense :).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI