Pitching Staff Strength Increased with 1.16 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Public Beta Feedback

motnahp -> Pitching Staff Strength Increased with 1.16 (6/9/2006 11:38:37 PM)

Using the 1.16 Beta patch, real players, Multiplayer. Under this Beta, AI is defaulting to 12-man pitching staffs when Auto Assign Rosters is selected. It had been 11 since I first started playing PS. Eleven was sometimes too many. Twelve is ALWAYS too many.

Shaun, please patch this back to 11 or (even better) give us an option on the default number.

**An exception to this occurs when a team has less than 12 pitchers on their roster. AI will then promote all that are available and that is OK, but I need to be able to limit that number to the old standard of 11.

Better yet, an option to choose the default number individually for each team would be ideal and more realistic. This option could be used to mimic what most MLB teams do for postseason. IMO, teams typically reduce their pitcher strength by one, knowing that their weakest pitcher will almost certainly see NO action in postseason. They can then carry that extra bat, glove, or wheels in October.

Is there a way for this XML-challenged simmer to accomplish any of this?

***Update: Using the Auto Assign Rosters (which I do for each team twice monthly), AI will accept a team with less than 12 pitchers, but leaves the team short on position players. Example: The 1974 Oakland A's have only 10 pitchers on their entire roster in April. AI assigns all of them to the major leagues, but puts only 13 position players on the big squad with them.

To the program's credit, I can still sim without error using the 23-man roster. This is a little irritating for me, since I have no desire to be the GM or manager of the A's. I fancy myself more of a commissioner/historian.

One odd fact about the 1974 A's. The Lahman dB has no Herb Washington, as he never had an at-bat. He was strictly a pinch-runner. I looked for a player with similar stolen base numbers and age. I created Herb and gave him that player's speed and ratings of 1 everywhere else. When I had to manually promote two A's players, Herb was one of the two I promoted in my (hopefully brief) stint as A's GM.

****Keeping a little closer eye on things with this change in pitching staff strength. Through one month of the season, one team (CAL '75) actually has three pitchers with zero IP. On most teams, the innings are "hogged" by two of the relievers and the others (not counting the closer) get small scraps of innings.

An unfortunate by-product of the 12-man staffs is this: I "watched" a recent three-game series with Oakland at Boston. In two games of the series, Boston relief pitcher Diego Segui was forced to bat for himself in the 8th inning, as the BoSox had run out of position players to pinch hit. These were not high-scoring games and I have injuries turned off. These are just consequences from (sigh) the new default 12-man staffs.

I must be a lousy GM, as the A's finished 5th in 1974. With enough pitchers to keep 12 on the roster in 1975, they won the division. In the '75 season, it was the Yankees with less than 12 on the staff. As I'd done with the A's, I had to manually promote players every time I changed their roster. Under my "leadership", NY finished 5th in the East for 1975. For the '76 season, I'll just import scrub pitchers to make up any differences, keep the scrubs on the bench, and let AI worry about the rest of the roster.

motnahp -> RE: Pitching Staff Strength Increased with 1.16 (6/13/2006 8:45:20 AM)

1.16 bump with a half-twist

motnahp -> Cheaper by the dozen 1.16 ? (6/16/2006 6:07:39 AM)

Double bump with two half-twists.

Claymore Cut -> RE: Cheaper by the dozen 1.16 ? (6/16/2006 9:05:32 AM)

I'd really like to see this editiable and as a league option that can be adjusted. Back int he day 9 man or fewer rotations were common.

motnahp -> RE: Cheaper by the dozen 1.16 ? (6/16/2006 1:40:06 PM)

This sounds like something that could be edited within the XML, but I don't know if there would be just one edit necessary, or if several different things would need to be edited to make it balance. Besides, I'm a driver and not a mechanic.[;)]

SittingDuck -> RE: Cheaper by the dozen 1.16 ? (6/18/2006 1:38:20 AM)

Where the heck does one pick up the latest beta patch?  I have scanned all the forums and can't find it.  Not very intuitive, unless it's right in front of me.

Claymore Cut -> RE: Cheaper by the dozen 1.16 ? (6/18/2006 1:41:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SittingDuck

Where the heck does one pick up the latest beta patch?  I have scanned all the forums and can't find it.  Not very intuitive, unless it's right in front of me.

It's not, I found it at the end of my first simmed season after just browsing the forums. You can find it in this post:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1151404

Shaun, you might want to sticky this!

SittingDuck -> RE: Cheaper by the dozen 1.16 ? (6/18/2006 6:00:37 PM)

Thanks, Claymore. I was wondering if it was found in a separate post. I was searching under 'patch', but should have done 'beta'.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI