old vs. new (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

pauk -> old vs. new (6/11/2006 1:42:17 PM)

greetings...

I've played old OAW and i'm interested what is different in Matrix edition of this great game?

thanks in advance

Terminus -> RE: old vs. new (6/11/2006 2:27:04 PM)

Well, there's new terrain graphics, which are very good looking. The offensive AI is unbe-friggin-lievable. It attacks like crazy. A very wide selection of scenarios to choose from is also a plus. They've redone the AFV fighting routines to take into account hit locations, i.e. weaker side armour. That's about what I can think of for now...

JAMiAM -> RE: old vs. new (6/11/2006 9:52:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk

greetings...

I've played old OAW and i'm interested what is different in Matrix edition of this great game?

thanks in advance

Check out this thread, for the change list from CoW.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1147578

Qni -> RE: old vs. new (6/12/2006 1:37:16 AM)

It is possible to change american date style (M/D/Y) for european ones (D/M/Y). Maybe in next patch ?

Rob322 -> RE: old vs. new (6/12/2006 1:40:37 AM)

AAA and SAMs need respect now. I used to play Desert Storm 91 where I'd select every Allied Attack Helicopter unit and then concentrate on an Iraqi Armored Division set up in reserve. Once a turn a division would go "poof"! And really, I might lose a dozen helo's total. Well, I tried that again and lost 25 Apache's, 18 Cobra's, and around 20 other Allied Choppers and while none of the units evaporated they were all extremely weakened. They still took their toll (the division was smashed) but at a much higher price then I used to pay.

ralphtricky -> RE: old vs. new (6/12/2006 5:14:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qni

It is possible to change american date style (M/D/Y) for european ones (D/M/Y). Maybe in next patch ?

Absolutely. It can be done now, the French and German languages use it.

I'll ask Erik to upload EuroDate into the Members Area early next week.

If you're impatient...

It can actually be done now by using a resource editor, copying the English.DLL to EuroDate.DLL and changing string table entry 17 from MDY to DMY. You can also change string table entry 18 from a / to a . if you want a different date separator.

The following steps are required.
Download XNResource(http://www.btinternet.com/~wilsoncpw/xn_resourceeditor_setup.exe)
Run the setup program.
Run XNResource
Open c:\Matrix Game\The Operational Art of War III\English.DLL
Change the string table entry #17 from MDY to DMY
Change the string table entry #18 from / to .
Save the file as EuroDate.DLL
Close XNResource
Run TOAW
Select File/Choose Language and pick EuroDate.

geozero -> RE: old vs. new (6/13/2006 1:20:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Well, there's new terrain graphics, which are very good looking.

I thought these were the same terrain graphics with higher contrast? Are there actuall new graphics?

Terminus -> RE: old vs. new (6/13/2006 1:32:17 AM)

Hmmm, not sure... As far as I heard, they're new, but then I never played CoW edition...

jungelsj_slith -> RE: old vs. new (6/13/2006 1:50:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk

greetings...

thanks in advance

Read my post here if you're more of a casual gamer:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1157547

golden delicious -> RE: old vs. new (6/13/2006 1:58:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geozero

I thought these were the same terrain graphics with higher contrast? Are there actuall new graphics?

So far as I can tell from the screenshots, most of the changes come from existing user mods.

Going to be sticking with the COW graphics. They suit me just fine.

rhinobones -> RE: old vs. new (6/13/2006 3:24:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious
So far as I can tell from the screenshots, most of the changes come from existing user mods.

I’m finding that I like these new user mods for scenarios at the tactical level, such as squad, platoon and company. Depending on the scenario, battalion can go either way. Anything at regiment or bigger definitely needs the original COW terrain graphics.

Regards, RhinoBones

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI