Artillery inconsistency (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

henri511 -> Artillery inconsistency (6/14/2006 8:25:05 PM)

I don,t mean to criticize, but it seems to me that thre is an unnecessary incnsistency in the way artillery is implemented in the game. Apparently it was very important for the designers to have the ocntent of units as close as possible to the historical counterparts. A consequence of this is that many artillery units can never be used, because short-range artillery is bundled with the large range. I mean in real war, do they keep the mortars with the 150 mm heavy artillery 1o km behind the lines? No, it goes right to the front with the infantry, but in TOAW, the only way to do that is to stick your 150 mm guns right on the front line.[:-]

The could be alleviated by allowing the artillery to go where it belongs, and although this might result in ahistorical unit composition, it would lead to more historical use of the artillery. One way would be to attach the short-range artillery to infantry units; another would be to allow it to shoot from long range, with the understanding that it has been "virtually" shifted to the front line in support of the infantry. I am sure that there are other creative solutions.[8D]

Although this is not a MAJOR issue, it IS a bit frustrating to not be able to use a large fraction of one's short range artillery, not to mention the misleading information on the range indicator that actually only applies to the longest range weapon in the unit (so if you have ONE 150 mm gun and 50 mortars, you have the impression if you don't check that you have an ass-whopping long-range artillery unit whn what you have can hardly force the enemy to blink.[8|]

Henri

Siberian HEAT -> RE: Artillery inconsistency (6/14/2006 8:30:53 PM)

Yep, this is purely a scenario design issue. Not all designers choose to do it this way. You will find the same thing with air groups....with short and long range fighters mixed together. A few can reach 50 hexes, while the bulk only reach 10. If the battle happens at 11 hexes, you will get pummeled because most of your aircraft can't reach the fight and the ones that can get torn up. Sadly, this means you have to pay a bit more attention when using air and artillery. It may be alleviated down the road if we get things like overlays for range of artillery (possibly showing a deep red for maximum coverage, a lighter red for the longest range so you can see if there are mixed ranges). I'm speculating though...not sure if this is possible.

For now, it is all in the design. [:)]

Yank -> RE: Artillery inconsistency (6/14/2006 8:38:55 PM)

One of the nice features in WITP is the ability to do an artillery bombard only attack with artillery that is integrated into a larger formation. In an assault by the larger unit, I'm just assuming the engine figures in the unit's integral artillery tubes.

That would solve the problem maybe?

Chuck2 -> RE: Artillery inconsistency (6/14/2006 10:05:41 PM)

There is a trade-off between unit count and flexibility. The more formations are reduced into smaller component pieces, the more flexibility you'll have. However, this also means you need to move more pieces each turn, making the game longer and leading to micromanagement.

JReb -> RE: Artillery inconsistency (6/14/2006 10:22:01 PM)

So, still can't fire an interdiction mission to disrupt supply?

henri511 -> RE: Artillery inconsistency (6/15/2006 3:49:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chuck2

There is a trade-off between unit count and flexibility. The more formations are reduced into smaller component pieces, the more flexibility you'll have. However, this also means you need to move more pieces each turn, making the game longer and leading to micromanagement.

I agree, and that is why I would prefer a solution without more micromanagement, like for instance "invisible" limited (one hex) movement of short range Art into front line units in support. i.e. simply increase their range when required and justify it by saying that they have moved temporarily to the front (where they could take front-line casualties).[:)]

Henri

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI