Over 300 scenarios (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare

samuraigg -> Over 300 scenarios (6/18/2006 6:28:55 PM)

Hey guys, I am loving Harpoon 3 ANW so far, but I have a question. The website says that the game features over 300 scenarios. From looking around the game and at what scenarios are offered, I see maybe 90 or so. Am I missing something?

Hertston -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/18/2006 6:44:42 PM)

I make it 120, including the eight tutorials... certainly something of a shortfall. Perhaps you need to install alternate databases to make the other scenarios available? I'm still getting to grips with the basics and its likely to be weeks before I start messing with that sort of stuff!

JaguarUSF -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/18/2006 7:03:26 PM)

"Over 300 pre-built scenarios" Hmmmmm...wonder where they are?

mikmykWS -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/18/2006 7:11:27 PM)

I'm sure the count includes whats available for the other databases included with the game and the databases/scenarios available at all the sites around the net. There's a section of this forum that will point you to were those are.

Hertston -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/18/2006 7:28:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk
I'm sure the count includes whats available for the other databases included with the game and the databases/scenarios available at all the sites around the net.

If so, it shouldn't. I appreciate that the standard of user scenarios for this game is likely to exceptional, but that's covered by "support for player databases and scenarios". The 300 figure suggests "official" scenarios included with the game, not those you need to hunt around for.

mikmykWS -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/18/2006 7:35:32 PM)

Who cares really. You can get all scenarios free online so its not like you've lost something or been cheated [;)] 

Hertston -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/18/2006 9:58:39 PM)

Fair point, and 120 is plenty to be going along with anyway.

It just seems odd to say in the blurb there are so many more scenarios than there actually are. That's why I was wondering if some were only listed in the menu if the correct database was being used, but having had a quick look at the directories that doesn't seem to be the case.

SlapBone -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/18/2006 10:00:58 PM)

quote:

Who cares really. You can get all scenarios free online so its not like you've lost something or been cheated [;)]

Actually, if they were advertised, they should have been tidied up and included with the game. [;)]

Terminus -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/18/2006 10:13:52 PM)

Yeah, the other thing is slightly dodgy advertising...

hermanhum -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/18/2006 10:53:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Yeah, the other thing is slightly dodgy advertising...

I can only speak for the 80 or so scenario files I am involved with, but some of the PlayersDB scenarios are finding major compatibility problems with the new ANW engine. For example, the mine model that we recently introduced to the PlayersDB doesn't work for the ANW engine: all the mines come floating to the surface.

This was not the case in 3.6.3. In other cases, one scenario runs just fine in 3.6.3 and cannot even be loaded into the ANW engine. Total crash.

We are currently going through our scenario inventory one at a time and checking. This is why we have only rated 5 scenarios as ANW compatible at the moment. see:

Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB

Dimitris -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/18/2006 11:33:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SlapBone

quote:

Actually, if they were advertised, they should have been tidied up and included with the game. [;)]

Community scens are pretty good enough in themselves as they are (in fact, many of them are arguably superior to the scens included with the release). The main problem in bundling third-party scenarios to the box release is that, being community creations, they get frequently updated. A possible analogy is the software drivers you get bundled when you purchase a graphics card; even chance they're obsolete already the moment you get the CD out of the card box. So IMO getting the scenarios from the community sites is a better method and usually provides a higher quality experience and more up-to-date simulation.

mikmykWS -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/18/2006 11:44:25 PM)

The official scenarios are also over 10 years old in most cases[:)]
You're being given what was there (its not like there is a hidden 100 scenarios you've been cheated out of).Probably bigger issues to worry about then being misinformed about what you can get for free anyways. Square block round hole I know[:D]

Turn ze page[&o]

mikmykWS -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/18/2006 11:46:33 PM)

I can tell no scenarios were left out of the distributions so the crime might just be somebody's ability to count.

Vincenzo_Beretta -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/18/2006 11:51:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sunburn
A possible analogy is the software drivers you get bundled when you purchase a graphics card; even chance they're obsolete already the moment you get the CD out of the card box. So IMO getting the scenarios from the community sites is a better method and usually provides a higher quality experience and more up-to-date simulation.

Yes, but this is a moot point if you give the game as a gift to someone not connected to the internet. [8|]

mikmykWS -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/18/2006 11:53:14 PM)

If they're not on the internet Vinnie they're probably not bugged by what they might **miss**[;)]

Vincenzo_Beretta -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/19/2006 1:16:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hermanhum
I can only speak for the 80 or so scenario files I am involved with, but some of the PlayersDB scenarios are finding major compatibility problems with the new ANW engine. For example, the mine model that we recently introduced to the PlayersDB doesn't work for the ANW engine: all the mines come floating to the surface.

[...]

We are currently going through our scenario inventory one at a time and checking. This is why we have only rated 5 scenarios as ANW compatible at the moment.

This makes me wonder: do the scenarios designed for DB2000 and all the other third-party DBs need checking/rebuilding before guaranteeing full compatibility with ANW? IIRC, they were designed for the old Harpoon 3.

If so, I'll wait before loading any of them into my ANW installation; downloading only "certified ones".

YankeeAirRat -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/19/2006 1:23:36 AM)

I played with a few of the older scenarios off of Harpoon HQ and a couple others that I had floating on a CD-rom of backup stuff I had. They seem to work with out a hick-up. The only problem I saw was that the time set up by the scenario was changed to a more recent time. For example I screwed around with a scenario called "Battle for the Philippines" and found the date change from 1986 to 1988 and from about 0600 to 1800. I really haven't investigated any further but.. go with it and see what happens.

hermanhum -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/22/2006 3:36:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta

quote:

ORIGINAL: hermanhum

[...]

We are currently going through our scenario inventory one at a time and checking. This is why we have only rated 5 scenarios as ANW compatible at the moment.

This makes me wonder: do the scenarios designed for DB2000 and all the other third-party DBs need checking/rebuilding before guaranteeing full compatibility with ANW? IIRC, they were designed for the old Harpoon 3.

If so, I'll wait before loading any of them into my ANW installation; downloading only "certified ones".

Looks like here is your answer (at least indirectly).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flankerk

Have tried a number of the enclosed scenarios with 3.7 and now also run a full test on a larger DB2000 scenario "Attack on the Fortress".
There are some apparent bugs present, I suspect a number are already being worked on.

mikmykWS -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/22/2006 4:53:52 AM)

Jobs and real life keep us from updating alot in a short time period. We have been working on it as well as working with AGSI in a useful/helpful manner to find any problems we come across. We're also giving Matrix and AGSI some time and consideration with their new release. Creating attention for ourselves at the expense of them right now is lame. Its time for them to shine. Dig?

[;)]

Mike

hermanhum -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/22/2006 5:07:21 AM)

That's a good overview of the Harpoon3 scenarios currently available. However, the most important part of the question was missed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta

Is that a "Yes" or "No"?

Can users grab scenarios 'off the shelf' from any fan site and run them with problem-free ease, or is it a matter of 'caveat emptor' [buyer beware]?

mikmykWS -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/22/2006 5:13:15 AM)

I think its case by case and probably not to nice to put AGSI or Matrix on the spot about it as fan scenarios are the responsibility of the fan site not Matrix or AGSI. Less whining and carrying on, more updating and fixing. Be classy.

hermanhum -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/22/2006 5:33:57 AM)

That must be the longest "NO" answer in history!  [:D]

However, it is a definite answer.  Thank you.

So, anyone trying third-party user-made scenarios for the older Harpoon 3.6.3 version with the ANW engine are doing so at their own risk.  [8D]

mikmykWS -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/22/2006 5:49:36 AM)

Reading comprehension was never the boys strongpoint.

Thank you Dale but don't pay him no mind. I don't[;)]

destruya -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/22/2006 6:39:51 AM)

I'm having trouble getting DB2000 scenarios to show up in the selection box.

I can select them manually through the "Load File" menu, but it'd be nice to be able to access them from the scenario selection screen, especially considering the sheer NUMBER of DB2000 scenarios there are.

mikmykWS -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/22/2006 6:50:23 AM)

Harpoon ANW generates of standalone.dsd (these kinds of files are the battleset files) however I'm not sure how to generate them. Seems mine was automatic at some point. JP or Dale any idea?

destruya -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/22/2006 7:21:17 AM)

No XML file in the DB2000 directory. I just downloaded the file directly off HHQ...where do I get the XML file, or do I merely copy it over from the ANW directory?

jpkoester1 -> RE: Over 300 scenarios (6/22/2006 10:29:14 AM)

quote:

Harpoon ANW generates of standalone.dsd (these kinds of files are the battleset files) however I'm not sure how to generate them. Seems mine was automatic at some point. JP or Dale any idea?

The standalone.dsd file is created by the launcher. Please use the H3 Configuration utility to load Harpoon 3 and your standalone scenarios should appear in the scenario selection screen.

Cheers,
JP

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI