Tannenberg 14 - NewBie Guide Needed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room

fei_hung -> Tannenberg 14 - NewBie Guide Needed (6/22/2006 12:46:28 PM)

Playing my first game here as German against computer

Any tips/tactics for this scenario

Thanks

Catch21 -> RE: Tannenberg 14 - NewBie Guide Needed (6/22/2006 2:19:36 PM)

Avoid Warsaw- not worth it and takes too long and dilutes your concentration of forces, though against a human opponent I'd try to make him think that's what I want. [:D]

Go for other VP locations. Oh, and hurry.

PaladinSix -> RE: Tannenberg 14 - NewBie Guide Needed (6/28/2006 3:22:50 AM)

This is one of the few scenarioes where my inexperienced butt has not been totally kicked, at least when I played as the Germans.

Don't forget to use the railroads to move forces around behind the lines, or even to exploit a breakthrough if you can.  I had a lot of success by putting an entire corps in rail cars and just waiting for an opportunity to arise.  Of course, it gets tough to hang on with three or four divisions unavailable, but it can allow you to land a hammer-blow at the right place and right time.

Also, be patient.  Decided on the objectives you want and/or need and take them, but then wait and let the Russians pound themselves to pieces on your (hopefully) fortified units.  The Russian troops suffer from a serious lack of quality and supply; yours are at least nominally better.  In the long run, you should come out on top.

PaladinSix

Catch21 -> RE: Tannenberg 14 - NewBie Guide Needed (6/28/2006 4:03:44 PM)

Putting units in RR cars and keeping them in is going to reduce your total supply. I'm not sure of the cost-benefit, but I'd suggest if you're going to do this just keep them on rail lines until you need them, then load them and move. There's also a reinforcement schedule (T6 & T8) plus some units won't activate until T3. It's always well worth checking these hotseat for both sides. Attacking, hit a unit and it will activate immediately when you could have had 10 more turns to run around it. Defending you need to know what you're going to get, when and where. That also goes for formations that show in reserve. Check when they come on line.

A few other pointers if you're playing Germans, though I'm sort of shooting myself in the foot here, but that's happened a few times TOAW-wise before.

As Germans you start a couple of points shy of a significant victory, so it's more a Q of losing than winning. There's a Victory Point Calculator out there somewhere that helps you know what the levels of victory or defeat are. The first thing I always do in any scenario is strip all units away from a map and get objectives to the top. I usually print out this map so I can see objectives with supply trace on and understand who is going to get what when and if they get there. This way you're forced to look at geography and supply as a priority- rail lines, roads, mountains, rivers. I think it's crucial no matter whether you're attacking or defending.

I've mentioned avoid Warsaw though I'd suggest you always try for the bridge at 10,33. Seeing an enemy column (and he doesn't know composition assuming you're using Fog of War- recommended) will force the Russians to put something sizeable and maybe and hopefully disproportionate there given their desperate proficiency.

Then you just need to hang on to what you have at start or retake it. That means a line from Thorn-Lautenburg-Willenburg-Lyck-Stalluponen. Get those units that can move out and about T1 as far forward as possible. They're expendable if they come up against an aggressive Russian player or Elmer and IMO a company digging a trench in WWI and defending it is worth a division trying to attack it later. Then I'd suggest go for Suvalki and this will get you a Significant Victory. Then if you've done all this, look around and see what's happening- believe me your first casualty is almost always going to be your plan.

If you're still in fair shape and the Russians aren't I'd probably- given the rail line for supply- go for Kovno. Or make him think that and divert resource there, then maybe try for Grodno, which would cripple his already terrible supply to Warsaw. Or vice versa. Always keep the initiative by keeping them guessing.

Edit: Apologies- Warsaw is a supply source so that's not a rationale. But Grodno is still a reasonable target if you've a choice. Or Olita.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI