Andrews map V6.2 question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design

bgibs -> Andrews map V6.2 question (6/26/2006 10:25:55 PM)

I just started using this map so forgive my ignorance.

The problem I am having is TFs are trying to move through 21,53 and getting stuck. 21,53 shows as Ls(land?) why are my TFs trying to move trough this hex?

Halsey -> RE: Andrews map V6.2 question (6/26/2006 11:23:26 PM)

You have the wrong pwhex file data.
It's in the map zip file.

The one you want depends on which map you are using.

bgibs -> RE: Andrews map V6.2 question (6/26/2006 11:33:14 PM)

I have the correct file, even unzipped it again and put it into the witp directory. hex 21,53 is listed as swamp and my ships still try and go through it.

Halsey -> RE: Andrews map V6.2 question (6/26/2006 11:45:52 PM)

Maybe, though not always.

I've seen some move, and others stuck forever.

Better to change it to the non extended map version, then move the TF's out.
Then reapply the correct pwhex data after the TF's are out of the blocked area.

The offmap units and bases will not be available when you do this.
So do it quickly and then change it back.
The troops will remain where they are, without the base.

What map are you using?
Extended or non.

bgibs -> RE: Andrews map V6.2 question (6/26/2006 11:52:07 PM)

I am using the extended map version 6.2. Are you useing 6.2? If so could you check the terrain type in hex 21,53? Thanks for you help by the way.

Halsey -> RE: Andrews map V6.2 question (6/27/2006 12:00:25 AM)

I just checked it out.
You might have just found a design flaw in AB's map.

That hex, and others like it are shown as Ls, they should be Cs.
When the destination shows in the red at the top left of the TF screen, it is blocked.

AB needs to check this out.

bgibs -> RE: Andrews map V6.2 question (6/27/2006 12:12:36 AM)

Again, thanks for your help.

Halsey -> RE: Andrews map V6.2 question (6/27/2006 12:31:51 AM)

No problem.
Nice catch, we'll see if AB has a solution to this.

bgibs -> RE: Andrews map V6.2 question (6/27/2006 12:38:02 AM)

I just thought of another question. Why are the TFs trying to move through a land hex anyway? It a known land hex according to the data file so wouldn't the computer take that into account when plotting the course?

Andrew Brown -> RE: Andrews map V6.2 question (6/27/2006 6:44:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgibs

I just thought of another question. Why are the TFs trying to move through a land hex anyway? It a known land hex according to the data file so wouldn't the computer take that into account when plotting the course?

I have just had a look at this issue. The hex you mention is intended to be a land hex, and has been this way since version 4 of the map, as per this entry in the map versions document (under version 4):

quote:

2. Coastal swamp hexes can not now be used for the landing or picking up of ground forces, unless the hex contains a base. This has been achieved by converting these hexes to land or ocean hexes, depending on the nearby terrain.

However the behaviour of TFs in these particular swamp hexes is a bit odd. I do remember testing the hexes at the time I changed them, and TFs seemed to handle them OK, but having just retested them the coastal swamp hexes that were converted to land hexes do make TFs act a bit strangely.

Firstly, TFs do still go into these hexes. I thought that they would not, but they do. I don't rememer this happening when I tested it before, so I probably didn't notice it. This is, presumably, because although the hex itself is a land hex, some of the hexSIDES are "ocean" hexsides, and the program allows the TF to enter. However my TFs do not get "stuck" in the hex. When you plot a move out of the hex, the required fuel amount is red and shows 9999, but the TF will still move out of the hex to its destination when the turn is run. Return to base also works if selected.

I could clean this up by setting the appropriate hexsides to "land" or "blocked" instead of "ocean", making sure I don't block access to parts of the map as a result. If I do that this particular hex - 21,53 - would probably be changed to ocean instead of land. However since TFs do not actually get stuck, even though it appears that they do, this is not a major problem.

Please let me know if you definitely can't move the TF out of that hex, because in the tests that I just ran I was able to do so withouth problems (despite the red TF display).

Andrew

bgibs -> RE: Andrews map V6.2 question (6/28/2006 12:06:11 AM)

Mine did get stuck, I had to load the stock pwhex file to get them out.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Andrews map V6.2 question (6/28/2006 12:11:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgibs

Mine did get stuck, I had to load the stock pwhex file to get them out.

So you set a destination for the TF, ran a turn, and the TF didn't move? In that case maybe you should send me the save, as when I tested this I had no problem moving my TFs out of the hex.

Andrew

bgibs -> RE: Andrews map V6.2 question (6/29/2006 12:35:47 AM)

I do not have the save, like I said I loaded the old pwhex file and got them out. The original move was a bombardment tf from palembang to kuantan. it plotted the course through 21,53, moved into 21,53 and never moved out. I tried assigning different destinations but it did not help. I have since tested the same move and it behaves as you say it does sometimes and sometimes the tf plots its course around the hex.

It still makes no sense to me why the game is plotting courses through a land hex. Just another glitch? If I can duplicate the problem I will send you the save.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI