I really wanted to like this game... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

swatter555 -> I really wanted to like this game... (6/27/2006 11:26:07 AM)

But I cant.

The semi animated games were much better than the usual text based blandness. I dont mind that the game wasnt all that deep, I dont like managing hotdog prices. What I dont like is the massive number of small bugs every single game. What I dont like is the wackiness of the stat engine. I love it when my pitcher with 90s in his stats gets blown out two out of three games. I love it when the pitcher facing him with stats in the 60s and 70s shuts my team out. The thing is, these are not isolated incidents. I have managed dozens of games over a few different league setups before I just became feed up.

The stat engine just acts so inconsistently and ratings seems to be a secondary consideration. Not only that, there are only a few ratings, which ensures even more unrealistic behavior.

Also, I have to bring up the bugs again. I know the developer is probably one or two guys, but there are sooooo many bugs. Oh well... Im done with it. I wanted to like it, but its just inferior in most respects than even MicroLeague Baseball 3, made over 13 years ago. I think Ill surf some oldies site and pick that game up.

Claymore Cut -> RE: I really wanted to like this game... (6/27/2006 11:44:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: swatter555

But I cant.

The semi animated games were much better than the usual text based blandness. I dont mind that the game wasnt all that deep, I dont like managing hotdog prices. What I dont like is the massive number of small bugs every single game. What I dont like is the wackiness of the stat engine. I love it when my pitcher with 90s in his stats gets blown out two out of three games. I love it when the pitcher facing him with stats in the 60s and 70s shuts my team out. The thing is, these are not isolated incidents. I have managed dozens of games over a few different league setups before I just became feed up.

The stat engine just acts so inconsistently and ratings seems to be a secondary consideration. Not only that, there are only a few ratings, which ensures even more unrealistic behavior.

Also, I have to bring up the bugs again. I know the developer is probably one or two guys, but there are sooooo many bugs. Oh well... Im done with it. I wanted to like it, but its just inferior in most respects than even MicroLeague Baseball 3, made over 13 years ago. I think Ill surf some oldies site and pick that game up.

Are you playing the demo, or the actual game?

Phighting Phish -> RE: I really wanted to like this game... (6/27/2006 4:07:59 PM)

I have to say that I really haven't seen ANY bugs with my game.  Nothing compared to OOTP.  And as far as the pitchers getting blown out and what-not.  That stuff happens.  I mean look at baseball today and tell me that doesn't happen.  People go through funks.  Same with batters.  In my league I had a guy win the triple crown last season and this season in hitting .260 with only 5 homers half way through.  Think it doesn't happen.  Look at adrian Beltre.  Was awesome the year before he went to the mariners.  Now? Garbage.  It happens.  I think that it is pretty realistic and I am enjoying it immensly.  And I am really picky with my games

dickysty -> RE: I really wanted to like this game... (6/27/2006 5:24:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phighting Phish

I have to say that I really haven't seen ANY bugs with my game. Nothing compared to OOTP. And as far as the pitchers getting blown out and what-not. That stuff happens. I mean look at baseball today and tell me that doesn't happen. People go through funks. Same with batters. In my league I had a guy win the triple crown last season and this season in hitting .260 with only 5 homers half way through. Think it doesn't happen. Look at adrian Beltre. Was awesome the year before he went to the mariners. Now? Garbage. It happens. I think that it is pretty realistic and I am enjoying it immensly. And I am really picky with my games

I'm with you Phish! I've pretty much stopped playing OOTP until they fix their mess.
Puresim is playing awesome, the inconsistency in the player stats year in and year out is the major lure that keeps me playing.

Sure there's always plenty of room for more features but I can really honestly say this game is on the right track and only getting better.

Claymore Cut -> RE: I really wanted to like this game... (6/27/2006 7:38:50 PM)

The demo does though have a fair amount of bugs, that is why I asked. 85% of them were taken care of in the first patch, a good deal more in the later beta patches.

swatter555 -> RE: I really wanted to like this game... (6/28/2006 12:38:25 AM)

Nope I bought it.

You dont see any bugs??? Almost any stat given in the pbp text is incorrect. Have you noticed how the cpu pitchers throw half the number of pitches your pitcher does? Notice how many players hit the ball on 0-0 count? I had Randy Johnson pitch 13 innings throwing only 140 pitches.

The bugs are there if you want to see them. I also realize that players have off years, but the thing is so inconsistent that the rating are only a guide to a players potential performance, rather than a measure. I find that annoying. The game is too frustrating to me.

jacmar -> RE: I really wanted to like this game... (6/28/2006 12:48:26 AM)

Swatter555...If you find any old sites that have that game, please let me know. I am disgusted with all sims right now, including APC and DMB. Thanks...

KG Erwin -> RE: I really wanted to like this game... (6/28/2006 12:52:51 AM)

quote:

Nope I bought it.

... the rating are only a guide to a players potential performance, rather than a measure. I find that annoying. The game is too frustrating to me.

Welcome to the majors, Mr. swatter555. Glad you bought the game. However, my friend, no crystal ball is provided, just as in real life.[;)]

Claymore Cut -> RE: I really wanted to like this game... (6/28/2006 12:58:29 AM)

quote:

Nope I bought it.

You dont see any bugs??? Almost any stat given in the pbp text is incorrect. Have you noticed how the cpu pitchers throw half the number of pitches your pitcher does? Notice how many players hit the ball on 0-0 count? I had Randy Johnson pitch 13 innings throwing only 140 pitches.

The bugs are there if you want to see them. I also realize that players have off years, but the thing is so inconsistent that the rating are only a guide to a players potential performance, rather than a measure. I find that annoying. The game is too frustrating to me.

Swatter, if you feel certain things are out of what in various areas, why not post them here and in the beta forums? Shaun has been very responsive in the past, I am sure hew would like to hear your bug list. He might be unavailible for the next short while though, he is on vaction with his family.

tbear2b -> RE: I really wanted to like this game... (6/28/2006 6:04:15 AM)

quote:

I don't mean to be rude, but if those are your idea of bugs in a computer game then PureSim seems to be doing better than 99% of the rest of them.

I share some of the frustration about the little things sometimes, but it's not like you can't play the game.

Nomo Ootp -> RE: I really wanted to like this game... (6/28/2006 3:27:38 PM)

Wow, first of all I would like to say that I am new to this board. It surprised me when Swatter explained his "BUGS" this was amazing because they were not bugs but actual players not living up to his expectations. Regardless of the name given to a player this game and others like OOTP, ARE using fictional players created by a game engine. This game is a simulator and not a replicator which makes it all that much more fun and less predictable. I guess my whole point is that if something is a show stopper then Shaun should fix it, but if I don't like a way a player is created then that is my problem and I should edit to my hearts content.... It has probably been said hear a lot but - THE GAME DOES NOT KNOW NAMES, JUST RATINGS. I have found the ratings in my test in the demo to be pretty good.....

I guess I may be one of the few that may not want to see Babe Ruth dominate every time I create a league with him. I like the idea that in one league he may hit 1000 career homers, in another 400 and then he may just get injured and never reach potential in a third league. I love this in a game. If I wanted to duplicate the Babe I probably would have played him in DMB 9.0

Again, this is a very good game.

swatter555 -> RE: I really wanted to like this game... (6/28/2006 9:07:48 PM)

----------
"It surprised me when Swatter explained his "BUGS" this was amazing because they were not bugs but actual players not living up to his expectations"
----------

I didnt mean to say that was a bug. If the inconsistency I spoke of is intended, then its obviously not a bug. The bugs I spoke of are the pbp errors, pitch counts, and other stuff.

----------
"I don't mean to be rude, but if those are your idea of bugs in a computer game then PureSim seems to be doing better than 99% of the rest of them.

I share some of the frustration about the little things sometimes, but it's not like you can't play the game."
----------

Thats not rude. I agree the bugs are not show stoppers, but more of an annoyance. The pitch count stuff is more than a little annoying though. 

----------
Swatter555...If you find any old sites that have that game, please let me know. I am disgusted with all sims right now, including APC and DMB. Thanks...
----------

home-of-the underdogs I believe is the name. Enter that into google and you should get the correct link. I got a little turned off when I realized I would have to enter the rosters myself... again. I did that 13 years ago, Im not prepared to do that again.

----------
Swatter, if you feel certain things are out of what in various areas, why not post them here and in the beta forums? Shaun has been very responsive in the past, I am sure hew would like to hear your bug list. He might be unavailible for the next short while though, he is on vaction with his family.
----------

I hate paying to be a tester. Doesnt Matrix provide him with people to test his product? 

I guess I require a more realistic playback of an individual's performance. Even if that isnt the intention of the game, the game needs more ratings.

Claymore Cut -> RE: I really wanted to like this game... (6/29/2006 8:30:39 AM)

quote:

I hate paying to be a tester. Doesnt Matrix provide him with people to test his product?

I guess I require a more realistic playback of an individual's performance. Even if that isnt the intention of the game, the game needs more ratings.

I am sure he does, but no product is without bugs. Puresim has bugs, but considering the competition (Mogul and Ottp), I'd have to say Puresim is by far the best in terms of fewest.

Nomo Ootp -> RE: I really wanted to like this game... (6/29/2006 2:46:22 PM)

I am new to this board and plan on making the purchase on Friday to take advantage of the price break.....[:D]  I followed PS when it was first being developed in 1999 reading most of Shauns developers notes until the release of the game.  I purchased the original game but was not impressed with the first version (who is, right).  I went to OOTP.

I am not going to buy OOTP with the amount of issues that are pending and still have my OOTP 6.5 solo fictional leagues set up...I plan to still play these.  With that said, I did play the demo, although it only let me play into my second season until it told me my time expired, I found the game easy, very user friendly, very few noticeable glitches (although it killed me to see the games played in the almanac doubled for pitchers - adding the Games as a pitcher and as a batter), and acceptable game speed.  I also like the sound and flight of the ball (something OOTP has failed at over the years).  Overall this game is a few steps behind OOTP 6.5 but making great stides.  I hope Shaun keeps it simple without going into a Mega Universe system with a crappy interface.  With that said I am again happy with what I see here.

Now the only bad thing is that I am so used to having an active board and the modders at the OOTP boards put out tons of logos, utilities, facepacks, schedules etc.....  I hope to set a trend by contributing when I can.  With the mods this game could be Kick-A$$....[8D]

I did not get frustrated with the demo - you want frustration - try setting up a universe in the new OOTP and tell me again how you don't like this game......[;)]

I hope this game can get to the point of where some of the versions of OOTP are in terms of people playing the game - if the community can grow to that extent the future is bright for this game and for Shaun.

Regards,

Steve

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI