What are you currently playing part 2 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

akcranker -> What are you currently playing part 2 (7/5/2006 1:52:07 PM)

I posted this same thread back in December 2005 and thought I would do it again to see what everyone is playing with thier new Puresim 2007 Associations. Here's a link to the old thread if your interested in reading it What Are You Currently Playing

What are you currently playing(Replay, Fictional, Real Players etc.)??

Are you managing each game or simming?

How is your team fairing?

SpharV2 -> RE: What are you currently playing part 2 (7/5/2006 4:36:15 PM)

I'm currently in the sixth year of my latest fictional association, and I'm thinking that this is the one I'm sticking with since I've gotten quite attached. I started with 20 teams and expanded to 24 before last season. I'm watching the games, but not managing, I play more as a GM type than a manager. I'm playing as the San Antonio Rock Cats in the AL, and have won the championship once, in the third season. We haven't had any repeat winners yet, but New York in the NL has gotten to the championship the past four times losing each one.

I'm starting to feel like the Braves, as I generally have a great regular season, including last year's league record 111 wins, but tend to collapse in the postseason. My lone championship came when I swept my way through. The past two seasons my nemesis has been, ironically enough, Atlanta, who has jumped out to 3-0 leads on me both years. Both times the team fought back to even it up at 3 apiece, then lost in game seven. Last year's was particularly painful as we had a 6-4 lead going into the 9th with my closer coming in who had converted 54 of 57 save opportunities on the year. Needless to say, he walked the bases loaded and then gave up the grand slam. That one hurt.

So far my teams record has gone:
Year 1: 76-86 22 GB
Year 2: 68-94 29 GB
Year 3: 90-72 Championship 4-0 over New York
Year 4: 97-65 Lost to Atlanta in LCS 4-3
Year 5: 111-51 Lost to Atlanta in LDS 4-3

My team started as a speed/defense squad, but my young RF changed that. I've had one very good cleanup hitter in SS Keith O'Toole, who started the league at the age of 32 and led the league in HRs with 48. He peaked in my championship year, hitting .321 with 63 HRs and 142 RBIs. He has begun to decline the past two seasons, but is still a great hitter, posting a .288 34 HR, 101 RBI year last season.

The young new star coming in is RF Michael Stokes. He spent one year in the minors, posting a .345 24 HR season in AAA. he got the call up in 2008 and ht the ground running. He was the 2008 rookie of the year and put up some monster numbers: .309 36 HR and 90 RBI. He had a bit of a sophomore slump, with a .280 avg and 27 HRs, but did pick up his first gold glove. Last season he really broke out when I moved him into the second spot in the lineup. He got his second gold glove, and the silver slugger award, and the MVP by posting a .321, 47 HR, 148 RBI year.

The most enigmatic guy I have is CF/LF Leonard Luse. This was supposed to be the guy I built my speed team around. He's been good, but still hasn't reached his potential. The guy has 9 CH, 3 PH, 9 EYE, nd 10 Speed. He's a freak, a big guy who can run like crazy. Seems like he should be the perfect leadoff guy right? Well, I've tried him there the past two seasons to start the year. In April, when I put him there, he's posting a .218 average with a .277 OBP. I get frustrated and drop him in the order, usually around the 7th or 8th spot and he picks it up (.241/.323 in May, .318/.375 in June) But if I move him back up, he immediately tanks again. I guess he's just not tempermentally suited to lead off. It's not a huge deal now since I'm hitting him 9th so he's leading off...I just have to go through the order once until he does.

My pitching has been good, but with a rotating cast of characters, as they're coming and going fairly regularly. The one guy who I drafted in my initial draft and has really turned himself into a good pitcher in the minors is Phillip Wickstrom. He spent the first 4 1/2 years in the minors, slowly getting ready, then got the call due to injury. He came up in 2009 and went 1-3 with a 8.53 ERA, but impressed me enough that I gave him a shot last year. It was a good idea, seeing as how he went 21-5 with a 2.55 ERA and an even 200 Ks. He won the Cy Young, and was elected to the All-Star game as a reserve. Unfortunately his tryout the previous year made him ineligible for the rookie pitcher award, but I think he'll get over it.

Well, that's about it, I'm hoping I can get over the hump and smack Atlanta around this year...it would help if I don't fall down 0-3 to start the series again. It'll be interesting to see how many championships New York can get to and lose in a row. Even if it's not the Yankees, it's still fun to see New York losing championship after championship. [:D]

matt0177 -> RE: What are you currently playing part 2 (7/5/2006 10:39:32 PM)

1989 Reply with my A's, it's the first season I'm playing, loving every game.

PadresFan104 -> RE: What are you currently playing part 2 (7/5/2006 10:48:09 PM)

NAMBLA (North AMerican Baseball League Association)  24 team fictional association.  All fictional players, managing every game.  Coaching the San DIego Surf Dawgs.  We're 6-4 right now, battling the Phoenix Coyotes for first place.

SpharV2 -> RE: What are you currently playing part 2 (7/5/2006 11:06:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PadresFan104

NAMBLA

Please tell me you just came up with that on the spur of the moment without considering what it could mean...it really is quite an unfortunate name for a league. [:D]

PadresFan104 -> RE: What are you currently playing part 2 (7/5/2006 11:46:00 PM)

I was hoping someone would get the joke.  Got the inspiration from South Park and then the Daily Show.  Kind of a nod to two of my favorite shows...  (Not a nod to the other stuff..) [:-]

Unless you were thinking of the National Association of Marlon Brando Look Alikes, cause that would be ok then.... [8D]

Claymore Cut -> RE: What are you currently playing part 2 (7/5/2006 11:48:21 PM)

Recently simmed a 1927 Giants replay (we beat the Yankees!).

I'm now starting a 1936 league playing the Giants again, and am still trying to in my spare time create my All-Time HoF League (yes, I will share once complete).

tbear2b -> RE: What are you currently playing part 2 (7/6/2006 1:17:49 AM)

A completely fictional association based in the upper midwest. I manage all the games (which is why I'm only like 55 games into the first season right now) but my team is leading the division easily at this point, I have the batting leader, two top home run hitters, and I keep bringing up pitchers from my minor leagues that play better than the original starters at the beginning of the season. I actually only have one original starter left from the opening day rotation.

I did create a website and blog for the league, but due to a wedding (in which I was the groom), moving twice this summer, and trying to find a job, I have had precious little time to work on it. Hopefully soon though!

akcranker -> RE: What are you currently playing part 2 (7/6/2006 10:30:43 AM)

Congrats on getting married tbear!!!

Rhett -> RE: What are you currently playing part 2 (7/7/2006 12:33:06 AM)

I was playing a 2003 replay of the Chicago Cubs up until 2007 came out. Stopped playing that one because of the inability to expand the roster size (wanted to take advantage of the three levels of minor leagues. Now playing a 2005 replay of the Anaheim/Los Angeles Angels. Enjoying it so far!

motnahp -> RE: What are you currently playing part 2 (7/7/2006 1:12:45 AM)

Replaying the American League, starting in 1969. Just finished the 1977 season. Results posted in "The Locker" area.

renojedi -> RE: What are you currently playing part 2 (7/7/2006 1:21:46 AM)

I am playing a 2005 association. I made all the major trades and then did a work around for an expansion team. Basically, I replaced the Tampa bay Devil Rays and re-named them the Carolina Storm. Then I selected up to two players from each of the other teams with the following restrictions: no rookies on the main roster, none of the starting 8 fielders, none of the first three SPs, none of the closers, and none of two other players in the farm system that are top prospects.

Now as a play each time, I make the 25-man roster match real life so it is not so overwhelming updating the rosters. I also released all the retirees (instead of forcing them to retire) so they can play a little longer.

I made a couple of trades and am doing well. I have C John Buck, 1B Jeff Bagwell, 2B Omar Infante, SS Bill Hall, 3B Abraham Nunez, LF Matt Holliday, CF Gary Matthews Jr, RF Carl Crawford, and DH Sammy Sosa. It has been a rough go in the AL East but, again, that is part of the fun of building a team from scratch.

akcranker -> RE: What are you currently playing part 2 (7/15/2006 4:20:07 AM)

Right now I'm working on a 16 team 2 league 4 4 team divisions association.  My association is called "Greatland Association" and it's based all in Alaska.  I have all 16 teams named and I'm working on naming all the minor league teams.  Hopefully someday I'll find some logos for each team.  I've customized the climates for each team and the financials.  I'm working on customizing a 40 game schedule to start in June and end in July or August to resemble our local baseball league.  Once I'm done setting up this league and simming about 5 seasons I'll hopefully post my almanac to my website for everyone to see.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI