CHS aircraft upgrades (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

irishman -> CHS aircraft upgrades (7/9/2006 1:51:56 AM)

Playing my first CHS game. Allied aircraft manufacture seems to be much lower! I've noticed some strange things. For instance, some Buffalo squadrons upgrade to Hurricanes while some upgrade to Dakotas! Surely a fighter wing should stay as such?
Is there an outline of the upgrade paths for CHS anywhere?

Terminus -> RE: CHS aircraft upgrades (7/9/2006 2:13:04 AM)

Actually, one of the Buffalo squadrons is MEANT to become a transport squadron. That's what happened historically: it was destroyed in Malaya, and rebuilt with Dakotas...

irishman -> RE: CHS aircraft upgrades (7/9/2006 2:25:14 AM)

That's a bit of a slap in the face for a fighter squadron!
Yes, yes you're great pilots, aces all, a real danger to the enemy.... now we need you to undertake a very dangerous mission. We need you to fly these tubs of butter out to the frontline!!!

spence -> RE: CHS aircraft upgrades (7/9/2006 2:29:52 AM)

Quite likely the rebuilding of the squadron included none of the original fighter pilots from Malaya considering they were flying Buffalos.

JeffroK -> RE: CHS aircraft upgrades (7/9/2006 2:51:33 AM)

Irishman,

Do not assume that the RAF (or RAAF) Squadrons kept their "type" through the war. Often a Sqn number would be reassigned, especially after the original was destroyed as in Malaya/Java Some of the RAAF Sqns (example 23 & 24 Sqns) started as Fighter Sqns, equipped with AiraCobra/Buffalo/Wirraway, retrained as Dive Bomber Sqns with Vengeances and finally ended the war as Liberator Heavy Bomber Sqns

spence -> RE: CHS aircraft upgrades (7/9/2006 2:54:04 AM)

And let's not forget that Ben Afleck or that other guy in "the movie whose name shall not be mentioned" were in all kinds of squadrons in all sorts of countries when they won the war.[:-]

irishman -> RE: CHS aircraft upgrades (7/9/2006 3:03:56 AM)

Ok fair enough. But in my game the Buffalo pilots have beaten off the dastardly Japanese Zeroes and have at least 20 kills each. Therefore I want to keep them as fighter pilots and upgrade them to Corsairs......... dream becomes reality........ each squadron has about 2 pilots left each..[:D]

timtom -> RE: CHS aircraft upgrades (7/10/2006 2:01:03 PM)

I presume the sqd you're referring to is No. 243 Squadron. Historically it was disbanded in February 42, later to be reformed in Britain as a Spitfire unit. This unit was in turn disbanded in September 44, and reformed as a Dakota squadron in December of that year. This unit trained in Canada and later operated out of Oz flying "scheduled flights", which I take to be VIP- and mail runs. AFAIK, The three units have but the name in common.

The British weren't shy of mixing their units - there are several that goes bomber -> fighter or visa versa.

CHS tries to model the historical upgrade paths as closely as the system allows. This is everything but an exact science, and often judgement calls and/or compromises have to made. However I believe a decent job has been made of it.

For strict historical play, permanently disband No. 243 Squadron [:)]

herwin -> RE: CHS aircraft upgrades (7/10/2006 3:30:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: irishman

That's a bit of a slap in the face for a fighter squadron!
Yes, yes you're great pilots, aces all, a real danger to the enemy.... now we need you to undertake a very dangerous mission. We need you to fly these tubs of butter out to the frontline!!!

Over the hump--not a fun run.

Sardaukar -> RE: CHS aircraft upgrades (7/10/2006 4:58:08 PM)

Was bit peeved when my Dutch bombers all upgraded to Dakota Is in my CHS 2.04 campaign !! [:D][:D]

timtom -> RE: CHS aircraft upgrades (7/10/2006 5:47:19 PM)

The Hudson default upgrade path has been changed to -> Dakota I to accomodate No. 62 Squadron RAF, which used Blenheims -> Hudsons -> Dakotas.

As a consequence, the Dutch bombers upgrade -> Hudson -> Dakota, so basically one can choose between a patrol bomber and the transport. It's no less historical than the CHS 1.60 upgrade path.

AFAIK, the NEAIF units didn't much survive the fall of the DEI and the remnants were absorbed into the RAF and RAAF. To my mind, the Dutch units shouldn't even have an upgrade path - as it stands, the Allied player gets to both keep the original NEAIF units and receive the units that were created from the disbanded NEIAF, effective making them dublicates. I think it should be either - or, and to add, I'm rather sceptical that there were enough trained pilots or potential pilot candidates among the ex-pat Dutch to keep the NEAIF flying post March 42.

Sardaukar -> RE: CHS aircraft upgrades (7/10/2006 5:57:10 PM)

True. Was just bit surprised when not paying much attention to Dutch.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI