TOAW vs. HPS - Newbie question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

mashkis -> TOAW vs. HPS - Newbie question (7/11/2006 6:52:58 PM)

I have never played neither HPS series nor TOAW series. My intentions are not to start a flaming war between the two. I just don’t know which way to go in regards to a good operational game.

My questions are which series has a better AI since I don’t play over the net. I realize that TOAW III has a lot of scenarios but I want a solid quality game with a well developed engine. I don’t like the games that it takes the AI forever to make all of its moves. I just loose interest since I can only play one turn per hour. Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks.

Rainbow7 -> RE: TOAW vs. HPS - Newbie question (7/11/2006 7:17:42 PM)

Just to add more into the mix, if you like strong operational games with excellent AI, then consider Battles in Italy or Battles in Normandy.  Both fantastic, with several good scenarios added after release.

Der Oberst -> RE: TOAW vs. HPS - Newbie question (7/11/2006 7:20:16 PM)

The main difference between the series is HPS is sold single battle with detailed scenarios surrounding that battle. Scale is 1km per hex. Down side is it'll cost you $29.99/$32.99 per battle. Each game in the series has an editor.

TOAW III covers a LOT more historical territory, but not as much detail regarding an individual battle. Scale is 2.5 - 50 km per hex. It also has an editor.

As far as the AI... it's very good in both (OK, don't everyone shoot me....[:)]) The thing you'll never escape in either game is the size of the battle will drive the amount of time to AI thinks and runs. From what I can tell... pretty even in both.

My take.... If you really like operational level warfare buy TOAW III, and then pick your favorite battle from HPS offerings and buy it. That's what I've done.[8D] I like em both.

golden delicious -> RE: TOAW vs. HPS - Newbie question (7/11/2006 7:41:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Der Oberst

The thing you'll never escape in either game is the size of the battle will drive the amount of time to AI thinks and runs.

Yeah. Larger scenarios open up all sorts of problems. They tend to be the most popular ones- but it's smaller situations with which TOAW copes best, due to the ability to use global settings to reflect local conditions.

BAL -> RE: TOAW vs. HPS - Newbie question (7/11/2006 7:59:51 PM)

This has already been covered.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1158444

Der Oberst -> RE: TOAW vs. HPS - Newbie question (7/12/2006 3:32:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BAL

This has already been covered.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1158444

I know, but Golden and I are being much more polite [:D]

golden delicious -> RE: TOAW vs. HPS - Newbie question (7/12/2006 5:49:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Der Oberst
I know, but Golden and I are being much more polite [:D]

That's probably because I've never played an HPS game. So I can't comment on them. I just get to make jibes about the problems with large scenarios.

hank -> RE: TOAW vs. HPS - Newbie question (7/12/2006 5:58:31 PM)

I have several PzC's and I have TOAW.  What der Oberst says is right on.  The two games play very different with different GUI's but they're both great games. 

Try them both.  As far as one battle for PzC, my favorites for eastern front are Smolensk and Kursk (maneuver vs slug fest, respectively) and Bulge for a western front battle.  I've heard the north africa battles are also good but i don't have one of these.  Modern battles ... Fulda Gap if you like 80's / 90's era battles (hypothetical of course).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI