any word on release of 3.0 yet ?? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

max -> any word on release of 3.0 yet ?? (7/22/2000 5:32:00 AM)

just curious when it may be out thats all thx ??

Wild Bill -> (7/22/2000 8:03:00 AM)

No definitive date, except soon. We keep adding things, which is both good and bad. Good for changes, bad for the waiting. Probably around a week, but that is a guess, a semi-educated guess....Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

max -> (7/22/2000 10:38:00 PM)

thx for the info ...cant wait for the online play will be great [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Paul Vebber -> (7/22/2000 11:22:00 PM)

I played a tough mid 42 Russian German game last night against Neil Stalker - Me in Rhode Island - He in Australia! An truley Global War! This was August 42 on a med map. I had a Company of LL Stuarts and a PLt of Recom T-70s with a Plt of KVs supporting a Btn adance, one Guads CO and 2 regular Companies with a Havy mortar plt and an Offbaord 122 btty in support. I also had two plts of 45 and one of 76mm AT guns guarding my rear with recon troops in anti-Specs ops mode). Neil had a Section of Tigers suporting what seemed to be two plts of Pz IVs Two of StuGs and maybe a Comapany of infantry, and a recon company with motor cyclists and PSW233 (mean machines those:-) with an SP btty in support. I had a hill to the south that one pltoon of stuarts used to guard the southern flank, and the other two platoons and the KVs assaulted with the infantry force right up the gut to get and flank a key hill. A large woodes to the north offered a good oparaea for teh infantry. The recon tanks and SMG troops watched the northern flank. We immediately met in teh center where the Mk IVs who caused two of the KVs to bail (including the plt CO) sending the platoon into a command tailspin it would never really recover from becasue the plt HQ could never rally (turns out he had like 38 rally!) So my KVs where stuck - abou 4 hexes behind the hill. Actually not a bad place as they helped dust the crest when the Germans pushed forward, but never really part of the battle as I couldn't change their objective!. My Stuarts behind the large hill sniped at flanking attempts by the Pz IVs and StuGs and managed to cause a couple to bail. The Tigers made an appearance but I hammered them with all 6 mortar tubes and suppressed the daylights out of one and managed to sneak a squad up to close assault it. Unfortunately that gave away my force in the woods and 150 SPA rained down causing about a dozen casualties to one CO and effectively taking out of the game for 4 or 5 turns. HE Direct fire is balanced, with the StuGs and Mk ivs doing good serice keeping my guards at bay with much higher suppression and a bit higher kill rate. Though I managed a couple of each close assaulted when they tried to hold their ground in the woods with meager infantry support. About that time Neil's Spec Ops plt showed up in the midst of my artillery park and took out my 6 mortars and one AT gun before my rear guard could capture them! Turns 3-6 with the heat down in the center due to good artillery support allowed Neil to probe my flanks and for many turns had just horrible luck, losing a Pair of Mk Ivs and a StuG to the Stuarts. Just When i was getting a bit cocky and pressed ahead, a single PZIV turned the flank of ridge I had my T-60s behind and killed three with as many shots causing the other two to retreat! (the suppression penalty for having your formation mates killed was raised substantially). The next turn in the South my probe with the Stuart Plt lost two to a well placed StuG. The new Opfire rules played a big role in the mind games of trying keep the enemy guessing about whether a move is a feint or n assault and a real game in a game of do I fire at the cheap easy target, or wait for something juicier! We jockeyed about for another 4 ro 5 turns his armor fire brigading my infantry and my armor ineffectual against his Panzers. As his infantry dwindled and my Armor dwindled, I realized I could not sustain an advance against his armor outside the woods unsupported, likewise he could not root me out of the woods with his meager infantry. So with the objectives Split 3 Russ/2 German (and it getting to be like 3am :-) we called it a draw at turn 13! Had my KV plt been able to get its act together I think I could have pulled off a win, but I had fair points advantage as the Russians. Neil still had a Tiger to blunt that so I don't know! Neil, had he gotten his infantry concentrated likely could have rolled out my infantry Btn 's flank once he crushed the remants of one or the other flank protection plt, But I sensed it was scattered and not rallying very fast. All in all one of the most exciting battles I've had in a while, both sides seemed to wax and wane several times as we pushed, got blunted, regrouped and tried again. The tweaks to suppression for HE direct fire and formation losses worked well, and indirect fire was deadly, without being overwhleming, denying a 4x6 hex area for about 5 or 6 turns. A few bugs to squash, but we seem well on track for a release of 3.0 in a week or 10 days. Cross your fingers! [This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited July 22, 2000).]

Toey -> (7/24/2000 10:03:00 AM)

Nice battle report.

Larry Holt -> (7/24/2000 10:10:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: The new Opfire rules played a big role in the mind games of trying keep the enemy guessing about whether a move is a feint or n assault and a real game in a game of do I fire at the cheap easy target, or wait for something juicier! (edited July 22, 2000).]
Sounds great! Let me ask, I understood that the new OP fire rules of deciding to take an OP shot or not was only against the AI. What does V3 have new for OF against humans? ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Tom Proudfoot -> (7/24/2000 10:49:00 PM)

Actually, the op fire confirm was originally only vs. humans, but was worked in for vs. the AI after everybody requested it. [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Tom

Wild Bill -> (7/25/2000 12:09:00 AM)

This feature really makes two player fighting so much more fun. You are no longer just sitting and waiting. Though still turn based, it gets very close to simultaneous action. It is one of the best new features of the game. Sorry I missed that fight, Paul! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

Nikademus -> (7/25/2000 11:04:00 PM)

wow! Sounds like one heck of a battle! cant wait for the new version. By the sound of it, sounds like the direct fire artillery routines have been reworked nicely.

max -> (7/27/2000 2:13:00 AM)

Man im gettin figity for this 3.0 for tcp/ip i hope its soon [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] i was also curious how large the download will be for 3.0 if we allready are up to 2.3 ?? thx [This message has been edited by max (edited July 26, 2000).]

Larry Holt -> (7/27/2000 2:36:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Tom Proudfoot: Actually, the op fire confirm was originally only vs. humans, but was worked in for vs. the AI after everybody requested it. [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Tom
Can I send you roses!!! A gaming company that actually does what its gamers ask for. Truely a paradim shift. Many games set new standards for technical achievement. I hope that the rest of the game design community takes notice of Matrix and that this sets a new standard in customer support. Come on Matrix fans, from now on when we get poor support from a gaming company, lets mention how well Matrix does it and put the pressure on them. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Scipio Africanus -> (7/28/2000 7:40:00 AM)

Hi Paul, Nice Report. I'm glad to hear about the increased effect of direct fire, as well as the higher suppression rate for indirect fire. The fact that artillery had a real effect in your battle, without making it into a 1916 scenario, is promising. I really appreciate the attention that you guys at Matrix have given this issue and eagerly look forward to the new release. Best, ------------------ Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus

Paul Vebber -> (7/28/2000 8:09:00 AM)

I think we have a pretty good compromise between adequate suppression and kills. Hopefully mid to end of next week you guys will be able to see for yourselves :-)

Wild Bill -> (7/28/2000 9:19:00 AM)

Maybe we can wake up some sleeping giants to a new day, Larry! Perhaps a new trend will start, one that favors the gamer. I hope we'll be an influence for that....Wild Bill ============================== ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

Neil -> (7/28/2000 10:25:00 AM)

Thanks for the great game report Paul - it was a great battle. The ability to choose op fire is a great tool. The change in the way suppression works is marvelous know while the enemy have their head down you can move in to take advantage - just like the real thing. [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] TCP/Ip play even at the other side of the world is fast and no breakdown in graphic quality - just like playing it against the AI. You'll love 3.0 when it comes out - congrats to Dave, Michael,Tom, Paul et al for an amazing bit of work. [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/cool.gif[/img]

defenseman -> (7/28/2000 10:48:00 AM)

Great combat report Paul. If you ever decided to get out of gaming, you might think about doing play by play for a hockey team or something! Sounded like a heck of a battle! Rob ------------------ Sincerely, The Defenseman "Offense wins battles, but defense wins wars"

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI