Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

Tanaka -> Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/16/2006 3:28:12 AM)

I dont know about anyone else but I hardly ever have to use my relievers or more than three starting pitchers. I can go with my three best starters in three games throwing complete games and by the time I go through 3 the first is feeling great again and thats all I need. Makes it very easy to want to give away relievers for trades because I dont ever have to use them. Anyone else feel this way?

akcranker -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/16/2006 4:38:40 AM)

You must have some superhuman starters there because I've never seen that in any of my associations...

Tanaka -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/16/2006 11:03:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: akcranker

You must have some superhuman starters there because I've never seen that in any of my associations...

Are you personally managing your games? I find when managing I usually can leave my starters in the whole game...

akcranker -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/16/2006 11:33:40 AM)

On one of my associations I managed all of my games and I would have to take my starter out by the 6th inning in almost every single game.

torque561 -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/16/2006 5:17:41 PM)

I have to take my starters out by the sixth or seventh inning usually. I find that inning count is often a greater factor then pitch count.

SittingDuck -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/16/2006 5:30:57 PM)

How do you know when to pull your starter or reliever?  Don't you have to guess based on pitch count?  Because AFAIK, there is no way to find out their fatigue status during a game.

Deltadog -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/16/2006 5:43:51 PM)

When he starts to get shelled[;)]

I have not noted any superhuman preformances. My team has quite a few complete games, because I am patient and am managing in a time period when pitchers were more likely to go a complete game. I watch the pitch count and results. If they loose control or the hitters start getting to them, it is time to yank them. I have several who have had off days, just as in real live and got knocked out of the box in the first inning. The next turn, they might pitch a shutout or they might last 4 innings or so.

KG Erwin -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/16/2006 5:48:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SittingDuck

How do you know when to pull your starter or reliever?  Don't you have to guess based on pitch count?  Because AFAIK, there is no way to find out their fatigue status during a game.

If the starter has an endurance rating in the 80-90 range, there's a good chance he can finish a game. Yeah, I watch pitch counts, and the speed of the pitches. When the fastball starts dropping speed, that's usually a sign that he's tiring.

Hard Sarge -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/16/2006 6:07:30 PM)

my hassles with the pitch count is how it works

I have had good pitchers, throwing a 1/2 hitter in the 6th inning and be in the 90-100 pitch range, basicly no troubles at all the whole game, but the other guy, who is loseing 5 to 0, and been in trouble each inning has only thrown 50-60 pitches

(which, to be fair, your getting hits on 0-0 counts his numbers don't go up fast, while you getting strike outs or pop ups on a 3-2 pitch, yours do)

but it does seem that my counts per inning is always higher then the AI's counts

plus would have to say, on a 0-2, 1-2 count, I strike out over 90% of the time, the AI does not, so those base hits gotten on a 1-2 count, just starts up a new count for the next batter, while for the AI, it is a out 

I about 60+ games in, I have 1 HR, 1 double and about 5 singles on the 0-2, 1-2 count, (I have kept track of that)(LOL just had a game vs the Reds, they had more 2 strike hits and outs on the 2 strike count then I have had all season)

33sherman -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/16/2006 10:16:16 PM)

I think pitch counts are generally a bit low...I don't seem to see instances where a guy fouling off five or six pitch pitches is reflected.

JimboJ -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/16/2006 10:30:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 33sherman

I think pitch counts are generally a bit low...I don't seem to see instances where a guy fouling off five or six pitch pitches is reflected.

I think this is true. If you look at the count and add the balls and strikes, and then add 1 for the final pitch, that number is what is always added to the pitch count. If there were foul balls added, the number would be higher.

akw4572 -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/17/2006 3:04:12 AM)

quote:

Agree......pitch counts are a bit low IMO.

henry296 -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/17/2006 3:06:08 AM)

The foul balls are reflected in the game log.  The couple I've looked at have shown some 10-11 pitch at bats.

matt0177 -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/17/2006 3:34:12 AM)

After I patched to 1.18, the pitch count seems much more in line with reality. Before that, I would have quite a bit more then the computer.

Amaroq -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/18/2006 12:08:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JimboJ
quote:

I think this is true. If you look at the count and add the balls and strikes, and then add 1 for the final pitch, that number is what is always added to the pitch count. If there were foul balls added, the number would be higher.

That's definitely in there - I was paying very careful attention to this in the pre-launch beta, managing every game and I definitely noticed single at bats with, say, '2-2 pitch, fly out to center' which billed my guy 10 or 11 pitches. It happened enough that I started paying close attention to the pitch count after it got about sixty or so, as it could jump 20 pitches in just two at bats.

So, keep paying attention to it, but I'm not convinced its broken. [:)]

KG Erwin -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/18/2006 2:17:07 AM)

Alright, as an experiment, I left Warren Spahn (endurance 70) to complete a 1946 game --  he threw 106 pitches in a CG victory. 

That's the thing-- if the guy has his stuff on a given day, he can go the distance.    Pitch counts and speed DO matter, as well as a hidden endurance rating.    

You just never know --  your ace can just as easily get blown out after 1 or 2 innings.   That's the way it works in real life, so don't be surprised if it happens in Pure Sim.   

PadresFan104 -> RE: Starters too powerful? Relievers useless? (7/18/2006 2:53:28 AM)

I just had to laugh when I saw this thread.  I tried coaching the 79 Pirates in the All-Time Greatest Teams association I have up on my webpage.  First game of the season I try to get a complete game out of Blyleven (who had been laboring for about 5 batters) and at about pitch 120 he goes down with an injury.  Out 8 weeks...  Ugh!!!  First time I'd seen that happen, so now I'm always quick to pull a starter for fear of injury!!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI