Small Feature Request (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

PadresFan104 -> Small Feature Request (7/20/2006 10:48:11 PM)

Just started playing with the Speech Engine again. It would be nice if instead of "At Bat <player_name>" being said for every batter, that there could be a series of possibilities like "Now Up..", "Now Batting..", "Up Next..", "Stepping to the Plate...", etc.

KG Erwin -> RE: Small Feature Request (7/20/2006 11:01:51 PM)

That's fine, Al, but the speech engine can severely mangle many players' names --- some guy of Central European descent might end up sounding like, "At bat, Joe Mxylptlk."  [:D]

To do it right, my suggestion would be to dispense with the names altogether, and simply describe the plays -- "The count is 2 and 2, and it's a high fly out to right field -- the wind kept it in the park."  

What I'm asking for is too much, I know, since it's just ear candy.  Heck, if nothing else, I'd like more ambient sounds from inside the park -- in Bwooklyn, for example , youze have some trash talk from the  stands -- "trow da bum out!". (I'm exaggerating, but you get the gist).  [;)]

PadresFan104 -> RE: Small Feature Request (7/20/2006 11:07:45 PM)

Ok, you and I will have to respectfully disagree on this point then. [:)]  I like to play through games I manage pretty quickly and there is no way that the speech you are proposing could keep up with how fast I have the PbP running.

My idea wouldn't add any real overhead, just mix things up a bit for folks like me who are using the feature.

KG Erwin -> RE: Small Feature Request (7/20/2006 11:24:40 PM)

That's fine, Al.  I manage my games in real-life fashion, but without each pitch being shown (thankfully), they still can last 20 minutes or more.   I don't use the speech routines, just the ambient sounds.  That's why I wish we had more of them.  

My preferred POV is from the dugout, not from the stands.  

CrashDavis -> RE: Small Feature Request (7/21/2006 1:06:19 AM)

quote:

"trow da bum out!".

Can you digitize that and pass it around, KG?
Now, you ARE from Bwooklyn, right? I have to keep to historical accuracy. [:D]

KG Erwin -> RE: Small Feature Request (7/21/2006 2:06:58 AM)

For a good sample of the Brooklyn accent, go here:

http://www.classbrain.com/artstate/publish/speech_accent_new_york_brooklyn.shtml

No, Crash, I'm not a Brooklynite -- I'm a West Virginian, and we have our own distinctive way of pronunciation.  I don't ridicule it --each dialect holds its own charm, and I think it's interesting . [;)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI