RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

SittingDuck -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 1:01:43 AM)

As far as a 'new' feature, I really think something needs to be provided so we can check the fatigue level of pitchers when managing a game.  Pitch count alone is not a proper feedback option, for many reasons.

Woodruff -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 1:49:20 AM)

Shaun,

Using 1.24 here.

At the end of the season, I proceeding through fine up to the FREE AGENCY section of the off-season.

During my free agency signings, I got within 23,000 of my roster cap.

Unfortunately, I only had 55 players on my team at that point (70-player roster).

So, I tried to go ahead and cut one of the guys I just signed (knowing I would still have to pay him most of his salary!), so that I could sign the other 15 guys.

But the game won't let me cut anyone because "I cannot afford to cut this player and sign another to fill out my roster".

So I'm stuck...cannot proceed with my career league. I can't sign the players to make the 70-man roster and I can't cut anyone so that I can sign some $50,000 guys.

So clearly, there are two bug issues here:

1) The game doesn't properly guage whether I can afford players in free agency (It should check to make sure I'll have "50,000 x empty-player-slots" worth of dollars left if I sign a guy...otherwise it should tell me I can't.

2) I should be able to cut a high-salary guy in order to sign a bunch of $50,000 guys. It seems that the game isn't figuring that out properly.

This is a pretty serious issue because as far as I can tell, my association is done...unable to continue.

Woodruff -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 1:56:31 AM)

Oh, and to stress how important I think this issue is...it's PRECISELY the reason I quit playing OOTP. Exact same sort of issue.

(In fact, I sort of asked you about it when I was considering purchasing PureSim...you may remember.)

verizon32 -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 2:01:44 AM)

The contract of the player you cut does no come off the books if you release a player.

Your still responsible for the rest of the player contract.

PadresFan104 -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 2:04:46 AM)

Nevertheless, the game should do something to allow you work your way out of this situation.  Maybe as a work around you could edit your available finances?

verizon32 -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 2:25:18 AM)

True

Or for puresim, just have the contract of the current year of the player come off the books if you release a player. And then charge the current year contract and remaining contract years for next season toward the budget.

KG Erwin -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 2:30:00 AM)

The posts above demonstrate why I dispense with finances altogether.   Woodruff, apart from the difficulties the human GM has to face, how in the world can you expect an AI GM to deal with those situations? 

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or overly-conservative codger, but these are legitimate issues regarding the BUSINESS of baseball, not the game on the field. I suppose it's a philosophical issue, so I'll just shut up for now. [8|]  

verizon32 -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 2:34:48 AM)

Another way to solve Woodruff problem is a option to make the team's budget go up a certain % increase each year.

You can pick the % you want for the entire league or an option to set different % for each individual team.

RandyChase -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 2:35:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainbow

Is there any way to address (in this version) the import feature, so that you can swap real world players with younger or older versions of themselves? 

How would you want that to work? As a different player, or overwite the existing one?

I've posted about this one too.

Here's how I see it. Let's say that I'm starting a new association seeded with 1950 players. There are quite a few Hall of Famers in that given year who are mid-way through their careers. What I'd like to do (and do it easily) is drop Diamaggio, Feller, etc. from the draft pool of players, replacing them with versions of themselves from earlier in their career.

Does that explain it better?

Leegen -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 2:36:17 AM)

Great as is but would like to see the following added as time and priorities allow

- in-game box score as mentioned above.
- fly ball distance inside pop up window for runner advance.  i always have to move window to see distance before making decision.
- continuity on in game commands: (I)nfield in on screen means press i to move infield in, (O)utfield shallow on screen means outfield has already been adjusted to shallow.
- correction to AI trade value of relievers
- option to bunt for hit or hit and run at any time

however if this game gets any better, i may lose my job.  I'm already addicted to the point of distraction.

PadresFan104 -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 2:40:44 AM)

Leegen, I like the comment about the continuity of commands, hadn't really noticed that before. 

SittingDuck -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 3:02:27 AM)

Mmmm.  I'd like to see the date on more menu screens (like the Schedule Calendar) and others, such as the Front Office page.

Also would like it if on the Schedule Calendar, the date on the calendar was highlighted by a box.  You know, use a light box around the square on the calendar.

Woodruff -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 3:17:09 AM)

Verizon...no, I'm NOT responsible for the full contract when I cut a player, or at least I SHOULD NOT be. The software specifically states that I will be responsible for ONLY 75% of the contract. Thus, I would have that 25% for signing $50,000-guys to round out my roster. But it doesn't allow me to do that.

KG Erwin...if the AI can't handle the financial aspects, then it shouldn't be part of the game. However, PLENTY of other games are able to manage this just fine and it's definitely not a difficult concept...it is purely and simply a mathematical formula (I even pointed out what that formula would be in my original post).

Putting that formula into the proper place in the code (possibly multiple proper places) would alleviate the situation quite simply.

Woodruff -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 3:18:53 AM)

Also verizon...regarding the idea of increasing a team's budget each season...according to the software, it already does this (my budget increased by more than $6,000,000 last season).

SittingDuck -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 3:21:36 AM)

Slight inflation.  You must be playing modern 'baseball'.   hehe

verizon32 -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 3:32:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woodruff

Also verizon...regarding the idea of increasing a team's budget each season...according to the software, it already does this (my budget increased by more than $6,000,000 last season).

cool

But still be nice if we can set the % we want for the entire league or for each team individually.

henry296 -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 3:55:00 AM)

A couple of quick ones.

1.  Add WHIP and Batting average against to pitchers stats in Modify Rosters / Page
2.  Still need more complete games in early baseball (1920s)
3.  How about the Runs Allowed bug for league totals in the Almanac.  I mentioned it before, but haven't seen if it is fixed yet.

henry296 -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 3:58:44 AM)

Did you fix the issue with pitcher's healing too quickly when told to not play them?

puresimmer -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 4:03:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woodruff

Shaun,

Using 1.24 here.

At the end of the season, I proceeding through fine up to the FREE AGENCY section of the off-season.

During my free agency signings, I got within 23,000 of my roster cap.

Unfortunately, I only had 55 players on my team at that point (70-player roster).

So, I tried to go ahead and cut one of the guys I just signed (knowing I would still have to pay him most of his salary!), so that I could sign the other 15 guys.

But the game won't let me cut anyone because "I cannot afford to cut this player and sign another to fill out my roster".

So I'm stuck...cannot proceed with my career league. I can't sign the players to make the 70-man roster and I can't cut anyone so that I can sign some $50,000 guys.

So clearly, there are two bug issues here:

1) The game doesn't properly guage whether I can afford players in free agency (It should check to make sure I'll have "50,000 x empty-player-slots" worth of dollars left if I sign a guy...otherwise it should tell me I can't.

2) I should be able to cut a high-salary guy in order to sign a bunch of $50,000 guys. It seems that the game isn't figuring that out properly.

This is a pretty serious issue because as far as I can tell, my association is done...unable to continue.

One thing you can do is edit your team's finances at least to work around this. While I agree more can be done here, it is important to note that the AI teams are not having this problem. If you were down to 23,000 from the cap and still needed to sign 15 players that's a tough one.

It makes me wonder if I should make the cap a soft cap, or remove roster size restrictions altogether. Of course that opens up the possibility of AI exploits. Its a tricky one. Can you zip up the association and send it to me using www.sendthisfile.com (shaun@puresim.com)

It seems you should be able to dump players and gain back 25% of each of their salaries in order to work out of this, so maybe I can make a change.

Amaroq -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 4:23:06 AM)

Woodruff - to get you un-stuck, I'd say you should be able to use the 'Edit' button to give yourself 700,000 (14x50,000) to get past Free Agency.

Then, after Spring Training, but before the first game of the season, force yourself to make a trade to get back down to your old budget limit, then use the 'Edit' button again to reduce your budget to the original number.

Yeah, the game could handle that for you nicely.. but you aren't stuck, and your association isn't done. [;)]

Woodruff -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 4:27:07 AM)

Shaun and Amaroq...good point on the editing of the budget, I'll do that.

Shaun, yes I'll definitely zip up the file and send it to you.

Thanks.

Tanaka -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 4:36:56 AM)

Please improve the TRADE AI a little more. It seems to be only a few more tweaks from getting much better...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1187035

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1201942

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1187357

hano13 -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 5:06:08 AM)

I'd like to see closers come in occasionally in non-save situations. I know it is rare that this happens in real life, but it does sometimes. In my main association (currently in 1987) Tom Henke has pitched in 36 games so far and has 36 saves for the Blue Jays. For almost all closers in the association saves+blown saves=appearances.

hano13 -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 5:15:24 AM)

Oh, almost forgot - In game WHIP does not calculate properly as the game goes on. It appears to track IP, but not WH. WHIPS go down for all pitchers during the game no matter how much they get shelled. Outside of the game screen their WHIPs are calculated correctly though.

henry296 -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 5:20:45 AM)

I know the draft underwent a nice overhaul early, but I think there is still room for improvement.  While I know the CPU doesn't know names, here are the results of my 1939 draft.  This is using the 1.25 with the default XML.  This is a career started at the very beginning and affinity mode is turned off.

For hitters, the ratings are Age/CH/PH/POT and pitchers it is Age/ST/CO/POT

1.  Jerry Priddy (2B) - 20/8/5/10
2.  Pee Wee Reese (SS) - 21/7/5/10
3.  Vern Stephens (SS) - 19/7/6/10
4.  Ray Lamanno (C) - 20/7/6/10
5.  Nanny Fernandez (3B) - 21/6/5/10
6.  Frankie Gustine (3B) - 19/7/2/10
7.  Johnny Pesky (SS) - 20/7/2/10
8.  Al Javery (SP) - 21/9/9/10
9.  Phil Rizzuto (SS) - 22/7/3/10
10.  Ted Willaims (LF) - 21/9/8/7 - This was my pick
11.  Stan Musial (RF) - 19/10/8/9
12.  Dom Dimaggio (CF) - 22/7/6/9
13.  Tommy Holmes (CF) 22/7/4/9
14.  Stan Spence (CF) - 24/8/6/8
15.  Johnny Sturm (1B) - 23/6/3/10
16.   Mickey Vernon (1B) 21/8/5/9

Here are my remaining 4 picks

2nd round - Junior Thompson (SP) - 22/10/9/4
3rd Round - Walker Cooper (C) - 24/8/6/5 - somewhat of a need pick
4th Round - Mickey Witek (2b) - 24/ 8/5/6
5th Round - Bill Crouch (RP) - 27/10/10/3

First, it looks like potential is very highly valued since the first 9 picks all had 10 potential ratings.   However, for many of these players they are at least a couple of years away from reaching the current ratings of Ted Williams and Stan Musial.  While, I realize most of those taken were more premium postions and that might impact the draft, this still could use some tweaking.  Also there were only 6 pitchers taken in the top 25 and there were many 10 stuff/9 control type pitchers that are very successful in this league.  I have lots of success taking slightly older pitchers in round 2-4 that are rated 10 stuff/9 control and getting 4-5 good years out of them.

I realize it is late in the process but could you take a quick look at the draft algorithms. 

Todd

SittingDuck -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 5:54:03 AM)

I think the program definitely needs to look at career stats.  That's the only way it can be effective against a human player.  Because I question the way PSBB rates players on imports.  Waaaay too many 8-9-10 ratings.  Just an ungodly amount.

PadresFan104 -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 7:32:43 AM)

On plays with lots of PbP, you do not have the ability to scroll back and read the entire play over again, because as soon as the play is over, the scroll bar to the right goes away.  It would be nice if that were fixed.

Nukester -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 7:36:06 AM)

"Import players early" option in PureSim Classic mode, so we can do an initial draft and have the early imports........Pretty please

motnahp -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/29/2006 8:23:53 AM)

I mentioned this in another thread just after it happened. We lost the link between a player's almanac page and their assn. "card". After one of the recent updates, this link was taken away. Were there some stabilty issues? What's up with the "missing link"?[:(]

puresimmer -> RE: Closing the book on new features for PS 2007 (7/30/2006 7:52:05 PM)

Yea, I have not tracked down that 0' display bug yet.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI