Quess the pic (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Korpraali V -> Quess the pic (7/30/2006 11:26:48 AM)

What's this?

[image]local://upfiles/17362/5C41AC12912F4E95AD5843630008E2A1.jpg[/image]

Don: Shhh! [;)]

Mau Fox -> RE: Quess the pic (7/30/2006 12:12:07 PM)

Hey Thero ... well, it looks like one of those things that can fly. I guess they call it "a-i-r-p-l-a-n-e".

Is it correct? Did I win something? Let me know ...

Mau.  [:D]

Steve Wilcox -> RE: Quess the pic (7/30/2006 4:08:19 PM)

Snow-Devil (Finnish) Brewster Buffalo?[:)]

m10bob -> RE: Quess the pic (7/30/2006 4:45:21 PM)

Steve is right, and I wish I could have seen this earlier,(to beat him to the punch.
In the mid sixties, a Brit aviation magazine called FLYING REVIEW INTERNATIONAL gave a detailed account of this plane used in the hands of very resourceful Finn pilots.
(In those days, the English spelling of their best ace was "Eino Luukannen", but more recently the English spelling has been corrected (and I don't recall the correct spelling), but he downed something like 54 planes in this sluggish beast against planes like the very nimble I 16 and I 15's..
This plane (shown being salvaged from a Russian lake) is from the same squadron..
Wonder id Flying Review International is still being printed? It had excellent 1/72nd scale model reviews and provided 6 color profiles of each plane featured every month.
Nothing like it since.

Riun T -> RE: Quess the pic (7/30/2006 6:54:42 PM)

Hey Korpraali, what did the finnish arm their buffalo's with most had .30 cal. armourment but I heard that the Astralians put a couple of .50 cal. on a few?? and I don't know if those were gunpods replacing bombs?

pbhawkin1 -> RE: Quess the pic (7/31/2006 9:13:59 AM)

hi all,
following is info from
http://www.raaf.gov.au/raafmuseum/research/aircraft/series2/A51.htm

two 0.50 guns in fuselage and two in the wings!!

also see this link:

http://www.awm.gov.au/units/subject_688.asp

regards

Mau Fox -> RE: Quess the pic (7/31/2006 11:42:01 AM)

Hey m10bob, [:)]

actually Maj Eino Eino Antero "Eikka" Luukkanen (1909-1964) scored officially 56 aerial victories but 39 of them while flying on Messerschmitt Bf 109G. [;)]

"Only" 17 while flying the BW. Notice  in the pic below, that he has marked the victories with beer bottle lables ...

[image]http://www.saunalahti.fi/fta/luukk5s.jpg[/image]

Mau Fox.

Riun T -> RE: Quess the pic (7/31/2006 6:00:16 PM)

Gotta love the hipwaders he's wearing !![:'(]RT

Korpraali V -> RE: Quess the pic (8/1/2006 6:15:33 AM)

LOL! [:D]

Points to Steve!

25th of June 1942.

BW-372 among the seven others engaged approximately ten Soviet Hurricanes. Pilot, Lauri Pekuri, shot down two Hurricanes before his plane was set on fire. After failed landing Pekuri crawled to land, walked 20km, crossed a minefield and reached the Finnish lines.

According to my sources Finnish Brewsters were at first armed with three 12,7mm and one 7,62mm (.50 and .30 cal) MG's. Later on the lightest MG was replaced with one more 12,7mm MG. It was known as "the Pearl of the Sky."

[:)]

Korpraali V -> RE: Quess the pic (8/1/2006 6:16:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mau Fox

Hey Thero ... well, it looks like one of those things that can fly. I guess they call it "a-i-r-p-l-a-n-e".

Is it correct? Did I win something? Let me know ...

Mau. [:D]

Yes Mau, you won a...

B A D G E R !

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

Mau Fox -> RE: Quess the pic (8/1/2006 11:19:09 PM)

Finn = Evil!

Mau Fox. [:D]

m10bob -> RE: Quess the pic (8/3/2006 2:18:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mau Fox

Hey m10bob, [:)]

actually Maj Eino Eino Antero "Eikka" Luukkanen (1909-1964) scored officially 56 aerial victories but 39 of them while flying on Messerschmitt Bf 109G. [;)]

"Only" 17 while flying the BW. Notice in the pic below, that he has marked the victories with beer bottle lables ...

[image]http://www.saunalahti.fi/fta/luukk5s.jpg[/image]

Mau Fox.

The fact he could *survive* combat while intentionally seeking combat in a Brewster is a major accomplishment.
The Brits in Rangoon said it cornered like a rhino on a slippery mudbank.....

Did you know the Finns license built some of the 2nd series Brewsters,(along with some Fokker D xx1 and Hawker Hurricanes?)
(Now i'm really going back some time to remember this, so forgive me if I am in error on the planes, in any way..[;)]

Korpraali V -> RE: Quess the pic (8/3/2006 7:23:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Did you know the Finns license built some of the 2nd series Brewsters,(along with some Fokker D xx1 and Hawker Hurricanes?)
(Now i'm really going back some time to remember this, so forgive me if I am in error on the planes, in any way..[;)]

I don't know about the Brewsters and Hurricanes, have to check somewhere. But Fokker D.XXI's were license made as well as few others. [:)] Finns had quite large variety of airplanes in Winter war... most of which were only few. Many times fortunately, not unfortunately... [;)]

m10bob -> RE: Quess the pic (8/5/2006 4:26:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korpraali V

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

I don't know about the Brewsters and Hurricanes, have to check somewhere. But Fokker D.XXI's were license made as well as few others. [:)] Finns had quite large variety of airplanes in Winter war... most of which were only few. Many times fortunately, not unfortunately... [;)]

Here ya' go!!!!

http://hkkk.fi/~yrjola/war/faf/brewster.html

Korpraali V -> RE: Quess the pic (8/6/2006 6:51:18 AM)

Ah, yes... Humu. Now I recall.

Thanks! [:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI