What's the most popular rating scale? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

rpommier -> What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 12:46:21 AM)

Which scale do you guys use to rate players in your association? I use 1-10. Just tried using 1-100 and it was difficult for me to quantify my players. I think 1-10 is very manageable and gives a decent reflection of talent level.

Rod

JimboJ -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 12:50:53 AM)

I use 1-10 as well

DandricSturm -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 12:55:12 AM)

I use 1 to 20

Nukester -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 12:58:58 AM)

I use a 1-10 scale. Just enough to give me a small idea of a players skills, but small enough where I have to rely on stats too.

PadresFan104 -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 12:59:56 AM)

1-10 here

Abev -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 1:12:12 AM)

I always wondered why shaun put in other ratings scales. Now I know. I use 1-100. I thought everyone did[&:]

rpommier -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 1:14:36 AM)

Using 1-100 really messed me up. I have a base stealing phenom on my team with a speed of 9. When I went to 1-100 I was scared to send him. I think he dropped to the high 70's. I wonder if the ratings affect how the game is played?

Rod

akcranker -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 1:20:05 AM)

I use 1 - 100 on all my associations and I'm most comfortable with that scale, but in PadresFan's NAMBLA association I'm having to deal with the 1 - 10 scale which is difficult for me to transition to but I think I'll get used to it real quick.

SittingDuck -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 1:47:00 AM)

1-10 here.

Paul Vebber -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 2:30:15 AM)

I guess I'm odd using 1-8 [sm=crazy.gif]

Beach23BoyP -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 2:34:57 AM)

1 to 10.

verizon32 -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 2:41:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: akcranker

I use 1 - 100 on all my associations and I'm most comfortable with that scale, but in PadresFan's NAMBLA association I'm having to deal with the 1 - 10 scale which is difficult for me to transition to but I think I'll get used to it real quick.

You know you can change the scale by going into options

henry296 -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 2:58:44 AM)

I'm trying to increase the difficulty and I'm currently using 1-5. 

SittingDuck -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 3:29:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

I guess I'm odd using 1-8 [sm=crazy.gif]

I tried 1-8 at first but for whatever reason switched to 1-10. Maybe it was because I was getting used to the system, but I think 1-8 leaves the biggest challenge for the player, and I kinda like that. It's a great option. I'll have to go back and give it a try again once I feel this isn't a challenge.

JimboJ -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 3:52:20 AM)

I'm curious where the 1-8 scale came from.  I have never heard of that in any other context.

SittingDuck -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 4:06:22 AM)

I thought I saw it in another game once, but can't recall the game.  Anyhow, I think it is an interesting concept.

verizon32 -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 4:08:08 AM)

Its 2-8 in ootp.

That what the scouts use.

jwarrenw13 -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 4:18:23 AM)

I use 1-5 because of what I hope is a greater challenge.

SittingDuck -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 4:52:56 AM)

Take the 2006 Orioles and there is a challenge that can be called 'Great'.

rpommier -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 5:18:57 AM)

So you guys think the lower the ratings the more challanging the game?  Is that correct?  It seems the lower the ratings numbers the easier it would be to find good players.

Rod

henry296 -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 5:30:32 AM)

The lower numbers are just rounded versions of the bigger numbers.  You can't tell the difference between 81 and 88 since they will both be 9s.

verizon32 -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 5:37:18 AM)

Be nice if there an option to have no rating to show.

jono -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 5:37:20 AM)

In a 1-100 scale if you pick a player with all 90's you pretty much know exactly what you're getting although you don't know the hidden ratings.  On the other hand on a 1-10 scale if you pick a player with all 9's it means that his equivalent ratings on a 1-100 scale would be roughly from 85-94 so your all 9's player might be all 85's if you were using the bigger scale.  Hope that made sense.
Whoops, someone posted a better explanation than mine while I was one finger typing.

SittingDuck -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 5:44:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: verizon32

Be nice if there an option to have no rating to show.

I had been thinking this very same thing. This would be a very powerful option.

Of course, for drafting you'd have to have hs/college stats to base your analysis off of, unless you went by your scout's analysis (which you wouldn't want to be perfect, for the sake of challenge). Which means you'd have to reintroduce the scout thing again...

SittingDuck -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 5:48:06 AM)

Even better would be a small one-line summary of the player with different adjectives being used:

Decent contact, potential for good power, limited speed, excellent range, etc.

Deceptive delivery (stuff), potential for high contact ability, slow bat speed, etc... Not every analysis covers the same thing and wording is not always the same for a bit of 'fog of war'.

Although all of that would be difficult in analyzing a field of players. But perhaps you only use ratings at draft time or something. Once they have stats and are playing, only the text analysis is available.

Abev -> RE: What's the most popular rating scale? (8/1/2006 6:21:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SittingDuck

Even better would be a small one-line summary of the player with different adjectives being used:

Decent contact, potential for good power, limited speed, excellent range, etc.

Deceptive delivery (stuff), potential for high contact ability, slow bat speed, etc... Not every analysis covers the same thing and wording is not always the same for a bit of 'fog of war'.

Although all of that would be difficult in analyzing a field of players. But perhaps you only use ratings at draft time or something. Once they have stats and are playing, only the text analysis is available.

Very interesting. Maybe just ratings before they get drafted. Then only stats after that. Maybe if there can be different ratings, it would be just as easy to suppress the ratings programatically? oF course that obsoletes every addin I ever made :)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI