How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

KG Erwin -> How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/5/2006 8:09:07 AM)

I get the feeling that the solo players are the silent majority here. Yeah, I did a well-publicized PBEM match (see http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1051872), but I still prefer the solo campaigns.

So, let's do an informal poll. Which style of play do you prefer?

1) Solo
2) PBEM
3) A combination of the two

junk2drive -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/5/2006 8:12:37 AM)

I could tell you but I'm in the silent majority.

dje -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/5/2006 9:41:20 AM)

Han solo

Twotribes -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/5/2006 10:45:29 AM)

I like PBEM BUT my medical problems make it hard for me to be reliable, so I play Solo.

Alby -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/5/2006 3:54:58 PM)

PBEM or online mostly
sometimes solo

BruceAZ -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/5/2006 4:15:34 PM)

I play some PBEM with my sons [&o] but they cheat [sm=00000939.gif] and beat their Dad [sm=00000016.gif] so mostly I play solo or against old ladies [X(] who are partially blind [sm=00000459.gif] and hard of hearing [sm=00000506.gif].

Recon [:D]
Semper Fi

FlashfyreSP -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/5/2006 4:28:10 PM)

I don't play....much anymore, that is. Too much time spent designing and researching unit data. [:D]

Alby -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/5/2006 4:48:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlashfyreSP

I don't play....much anymore, that is. Too much time spent designing and researching unit data. [:D]

Well same here, hehehe
I meant when I have TIME to play.
[:D]

Huffy -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/5/2006 5:39:53 PM)

Mostly solo...some over LAN,...no PBEM.
Huffy

Riun T -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/5/2006 7:11:35 PM)

I've played all three{solo,PBEM,and LAN }but enjoy solo's divercity of planning and timing,kind of hard to have my guys pull the Grade 1 tactic of [ hold them on this flank for this length of time and then retreat here and hold for this length of time] AI can be better anticipated and useually takes twice as long to preform same tactic in the simplest path. Therefore you can script your actions a little more detailed then against a human opponent.
AI doesn't play a really good shot and move defence and useually prefers a broad front advance,and its reaal not good at planning airborne or commando type behind the lines raiding and strike deployments.
And gunny I've been thinking of asking how youd feel on paritcipating in a little challange I'm trying to cook up??
Useing the battle generator in a lan or pbem style of compatition where we could have 3 or more participating players, HAVE a 50 maned limit platoon sized multinationed DEFENDOFF, or ASSAULT OFF, and obviously a fighting race to point, and what I was thinking could be called the hurtlers event where your platoon has to run threw a gammit of ever increasing in size and streangth pillboxes , bunkers, and the other assortment of fortifications.
SO what do ya think sort of a round robin tourniment against the AI with made up idealistic platoons made up  from any of the nation sellection screen with agreements being made or posted forthright on what the #'s and year your liking the battle to be in / theatre /topography you get the Idea.

Krec -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/6/2006 2:51:02 AM)

online............its the only way

azraelck -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/6/2006 2:56:15 AM)

Solo, entirely. I do play PBEM on Age of Wonders, but it is far simpler to master (though the solo vs PBEM/Online strategies differ so much that they are two seperate games entirely).  SPWaW would require far too much time to play PBEM, and that's something I'm short of (aren't we all, though?) With solo playing, I can play whenever I feel like it, or have the time, and can often do fairly much in short stretches, and can simply not play when I'm unable to.

JEB Davis -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/6/2006 4:50:59 AM)

PBEM - there's nothing like a human opponent.

Would love to play solo, but never have the time, too many PBEMs going all the time.

Online? Never tried it. Does it require a high-speed connection?

Korpraali V -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/6/2006 6:54:23 AM)

PBEM and solo. In that order.

Alby -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/6/2006 9:19:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JEB Davis

PBEM - there's nothing like a human opponent.

Would love to play solo, but never have the time, too many PBEMs going all the time.

Online? Never tried it. Does it require a high-speed connection?

No it doesnt require highspeed.
hook up with Krec, he and some guys usually play evrynight

JEB Davis -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/7/2006 1:37:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby
No it doesnt require highspeed.
hook up with Krec, he and some guys usually play evrynight

Thanks, Alby-Wan-Kenobi, maybe if I get some time someday I'll try it... [;)]

Jevhaddah -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/7/2006 1:45:06 AM)

Solo here, coz I am not very good...[:(]

Cheers

Jev

Goblin -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/7/2006 2:13:57 AM)

PBEM, online, and Solo, in that order. The first two are real life sensitive (work, kids, etc), but I do enjoy them far more than beating the spit out of the 'AI'.[:)]

DROregon -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/7/2006 8:22:44 AM)

Solo.  (My available time schedule wouldn't be fair to a PBEM opponent.)

bud -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/7/2006 2:16:46 PM)

used to play pbem -- and just found a small list of old players ( i do mean this is a same list too ) -- like to list a few -- remember going with 24 games at a time --- but here a few of the old guard - star luck , tank jockey , tank head , redleg , rebel bug , panzer mayer , panzer jaeger , red baron , major dest , lynx , krec , jad panther , jarhead , mule skinner , iron fist , galka , fluid will , prado , weasel , rtr , longbow , t - bone , lazarus --DONT KNOW WHERE MANY ARE NOW -- BUT HOPE ALL IS WELL - again just a small list -- but great times --- but back to the post -- havent played pbem in 4 years now -- no solo in about 8 -- ONLY ONLINE GAMES ANY MORE --- good hunting ( aka ICED ) [;)]

baevans99 -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/7/2006 4:47:20 PM)

Solo - Long Campaign

sabrejack -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/8/2006 5:04:26 AM)

PBEM.

Very occasionally I'll play through a particularly special solo campaign like Das Reich, but I get far more of a kick out of fighting against a 'real live person'.

Alby -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/8/2006 5:35:04 AM)

Dont you mean kicking a live persons butt?
[:(]

sabrejack -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/8/2006 7:44:13 AM)

Only yours Alby... Captain Jack is doing a pretty good job of kicking mine right now in the ACL...

m10bob -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/8/2006 1:14:51 PM)

Solo....Time and career constraints prevent dependable online play............
Any game I even consider must have a very good AI.........

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: How Do You Play ? Solo or PBEM? (8/21/2006 1:16:04 AM)

Spwaw I play solo.   But just finished a pbem game after 18 months of playing one campaign(war in the pacific).

1. War in the pacific - Pbem and solo- my favorite game of all time.

2. Spwaw  - solo, maybe pbem later - my all time runner up game.

3.  Age of Wonders shadow magic-  online, pbem and solo- all time favorite fantasy strat game.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI