supply gotta ask (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory

gdpsnake -> supply gotta ask (8/8/2006 10:30:59 PM)

OK, I remember several threads about deployment on the detailed combat map and for the most part, things seemed to have improved in the patches.
EXCEPT for supply. In EVERY case where it's been visible, the AI set-up always starts with it's supply close by and it can immediately resupply it's units.
My supply on the other hand is ALWAYS SO FAR away from where my troops are set-up that it takes 4-5 turns just to get them close enough to even start resupply and that's if I can keep the AI's Cav off of them which is a task in itself.

One of the MOST important concepts that Napoleon mastered in this age was the supply and quartermaster system. I can't think of a major battle fought where he was so STUPID as to leave his supply unguarded and almost a day behind his troops deployed in a battle. Can't think of any of the other countries that did as well although it probably happened once or twice.

BUT in this game, my supply IS ALWAYS RIDICULOUSLY PLACED never near the troops. Has anybody else seen this?

Russian Guard -> RE: supply gotta ask (8/9/2006 12:45:02 AM)

In the most recent patch I am finding my supply slightly closer to my front lines. Maybe that's an anomaly, as I have not heard anywhere that they made a change in placement of supply caissons in 1.2.25.

Having said that, the supply caissons are placed back quite a ways behind the front lines, as a direct result of player input - players were annoyed that caissons were being initially deployed too close to the front lines, where enemy cavalry and artillery shots were slaughtering them before they could move. Eric and Co. responded to this input - and they were reluctant, for good reason - but aceded to the players request (for the record, I was one of those players requesting a change).

With all due respect to you, I find this "problem" not really a big deal. It isn't optimal, no, but I always manage to get my caissons up to the battle in the nick of time, and it's far better than watching your caissons overrun by enemy cavalry before they even get to move.

gdpsnake -> RE: supply gotta ask (8/9/2006 3:14:39 AM)

I suppose that makes sense but certainly when the units are placed, the "computer brain" knows where the enemy is and where your units are and it could easily set your supply close to your troops Opposite to the side the enemy is placed and outside of 5 mp's of the closest enemy cav. I've never seen a placement that allowed art to immediately shoot an enemy due to range so as long as the supply isn't placed in front, they should be fine. And they could be a lot closer.

Kadrin -> RE: supply gotta ask (8/17/2006 5:46:41 AM)

Actually, I still have problems with the AI overrunning my supply on turn one even on the latest patch. It seems to always be able to hit my supply on turn 1 or 2 and always Always ALWAYS capture any artillery I have on turn 1 or 2 aswell. In fact, I have yet to see the AI not capture my artillery. The worst part is, I don't even get a chance to move anything before the AI is upon my artillery/supply.

I would love to see some sort of change where either: the opposing armies start a little further apart, artillery/supply isn't so high on the AI's must kill immediately list, reduce the AI's ability to know where everything is at all times, or maybe start with artillery and supply encircled by your forces and not exposed.

And just to be clear, the above mentioned is only a problem with the AI. Verse human players the game is near perfect.

Also, in a recent battle I had a most peculiar set up. British 1st Army, under the command of Wellington (some 8 or so units) started with half of the army on one side of the map, the other half on the other side of the map, and the supply right in the middle facing off against the AI army. I was defending. Needless to say I was butchered in short order. Anyone have any ideas as to why my army would be deployed as such?

goodwoodrw -> RE: supply gotta ask (8/17/2006 1:42:10 PM)

While on the subjectof arty in tact battles, one thing I have noticed is you try and assault the AI arty and a note comes up unable assault guns whilst enemy infantry is adjacent, but the Ai doesn't have much of a problem attacking guns even when I have an infantry unit along side mine???

Kadrin -> RE: supply gotta ask (8/17/2006 4:09:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

While on the subjectof arty in tact battles, one thing I have noticed is you try and assault the AI arty and a note comes up unable assault guns whilst enemy infantry is adjacent, but the Ai doesn't have much of a problem attacking guns even when I have an infantry unit along side mine???

Noticed this aswell.

gdpsnake -> RE: supply gotta ask (8/19/2006 10:51:08 PM)

The infantry or cavalry unit must be in good order (not disordered but column or line-facing NOT important) and adjacent to the artillery unit AND the hex you are charging from (in other words adjacent to the charging unit).  I've never seen the AI violate this rule.  Usually, he waits until I disorder my infantry in a freak change of formation or through his fire then those 'boys on horses' are right there to take advatage.
ALWAYS keep good order troops on opposite sides of an art unit to cover ALL six hexes surrounding the art unit with ZOC or a unit.  Remember that the order of troop movement means you may have to sacrifice position sometime to keep all six hexes covered because the AI dashes all over and around the map to get to supply and art units.
Yes, this works for supply too.
I RARELY see AI cav charge infantry or cav that is not disordered-the one eception is it likes to charge units in skirmish order ANYTIME but especially in woods?!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI