Repairing ships (scenario 4 - Guandacanal) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

rudbeck47 -> Repairing ships (scenario 4 - Guandacanal) (8/9/2006 9:13:57 AM)

Still on the learning curve - I'm playing US against the AI in scenario 4.

I have had the AI targeting a number of my CV's (and one or two BB's) - hitting them with TT's and bombs. One of two of them are in dire need of repair (no flotation - but SYS damage).

I tried to send the ships to Noumea (port size is 6 - as far as I recall - I'm not at my gaming computer), but even though the ships were there for more than 20 days very little happened regarding the SYS damage. What size of harbour is needed to repair CV's and BB's? I have made plans for sending the damaged ships to BRisbane (port size 9) but will this help?

I have seen others in this forum mention ports with docks - where can I find information on these - or does docks only work in scenarioes where production is included?

Greetings

rudbeck47

kkoovvoo -> RE: Repairing ships (scenario 4 - Guandacanal) (8/9/2006 9:37:35 AM)

Hi,

in small sceanrios there are no repair shipyards.

The best thing you can do is to expand Noumea port to lvl 9, but heavy ships will still repair slowly - if heavily damaged they wont be probably repaired until end of scenario.

rudbeck47 -> RE: Repairing ships (scenario 4 - Guandacanal) (8/9/2006 9:46:55 AM)

Thanks. So the lesson is - don't get your ships damaged - becasuse they cannot repair.

Greetings

rudbeck47

wild_Willie2 -> RE: Repairing ships (scenario 4 - Guandacanal) (8/9/2006 10:46:37 AM)

The small scenario's have you SCORE POINTS for damaging an enemy ship, the big ones do not have this feature because there you can actually repair them...

dtravel -> RE: Repairing ships (scenario 4 - Guandacanal) (8/9/2006 11:04:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rudbeck47

Thanks. So the lesson is - don't get your ships damaged - becasuse they cannot repair.

Greetings

rudbeck47

They repair, but capital ships like BBs and CVs take a long time. A seriously damaged large ship can take a year or more to repair. A DD could be back in action in a few months.

saj42 -> RE: Repairing ships (scenario 4 - Guandacanal) (8/9/2006 2:44:00 PM)

In the small scenarios don't expect to repair more than 1 pt of Sys damage every 2 days.

rudbeck47 -> RE: Repairing ships (scenario 4 - Guandacanal) (8/9/2006 2:57:18 PM)

So in other words - "almost" don't bother.

The port size does have an effect on this - doesn't it?

wild_Willie2 -> RE: Repairing ships (scenario 4 - Guandacanal) (8/9/2006 3:38:46 PM)

The bigger the port the higher the chance of an repair point being gained. This is dependant on the durability of the ship: the higher the durability of the vessel in port, the SMALLER the chance of getting a repair point. Destroyers repair quickly in a level 4 port while a battleship is virtually static....

Disbanding AR's to that port will increase the virtuall port size by 1 for every AR disbanded in port with a max of 4. So 4 AR's in a level 4 port will give the same repair capacity as a level 8 port....

Ar's are your best friend in this game......

dtravel -> RE: Repairing ships (scenario 4 - Guandacanal) (8/9/2006 10:04:49 PM)

Re: ARs.  That is what the manual says.  But the way it is worded leaves a lot to be desired.  Where the manual says "maximum 4", does that mean 4 ARs?  4 ships helped by the ARs, in total?  4 ships helped per AR?  Which 4?  Etc.  To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how much effect ARs have.  I have tried to do some testing on ship repair but ran into issues with too many factors and a broken scenario editor.  What I have figured out is below:

There are two types of ship repair.  The first I call “Inherent Repair”.  This is the ship repair that can occur at any port (it can also in theory occur at sea but is so rare that it isn’t a factor).  The second I call “Shipyard Repair”.  This is the repair that occurs only at ports with Repair Shipyards and uses Repair Points generated by those facilities. 

The two types of repair are independent of each other.  No relation or dependency has been observed in testing.

Inherent ship repair does not consume supplies.  It appears that Shipyard Repair does not either but this has not been definitively confirmed.

Either type of repair can repair two points in one day, one point each during the Night and Day phases.  Theoretically therefore it is possible for a ship to repair four points of damage in one day.  But don’t expect it to happen during your lifetime.

Shipyard Repair uses Repair Points equal to the ship’s Durability +20.  I.E., a DUR 5 DD will use 25 Repair Points, a DUR 120 CV will use 140.  This is confirmed from actual play, the manual is incorrect on this point.

It is not known what, if any, factors affect the success of Shipyard Repair.  Based on what the manual hints at and observation I don’t think anything besides the DUR of the ship does.  Not ARs, Naval HQs, nothing.  There is one caveat, the number of ships.  While there is no evidence that the number of ships in port affects any individual ship’s chances of Shipyard Repair, if sufficient other ships have successfully made their checks prior to a given ship there may not be enough Repair Points to perform the repairs on the given ship.  Based on general observation of the program, I assume that the checks are done in the order the ships are listed in the scenario’s database.

As best as has been determined to date, the factors that affect Inherent Repair in order are:
1)      The ship’s Durability (the higher it is, the slower repairs are)
2)      Random chance.  (I.E. the program’s random number generator.)
3)      The size of the port (bigger is better)
4)      The presence of repair support ships (AR, AD, AS, AGP) and/or Naval HQs.
5)      The manual states that the experience of the ship’s crew affects repair, but this writer distrusts the manual.

Please note, observation indicates #2 above has a larger effect than all the lower factors combined.  Random chance appears to play such a large role that it has so far proven impossible to measure the effects of any factor with any certainty.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI