No more MLB license (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

BigBen -> No more MLB license (8/9/2006 4:04:22 PM)

Good news for Fantasy Baseball Games
No more MLB License
Take a look here :
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2543720

PadresFan104 -> RE: No more MLB license (8/9/2006 7:49:52 PM)

Interesting... Are computer games like PureSim covered by this ruling?

Edward -> RE: No more MLB license (8/9/2006 8:12:02 PM)

Well, I aint no lawyer but there doesn't seem to be any relevance for Pure Sim cause it only involves player names & stats. the lahman database comes with the game nowadays so I don't see how this helps.

However, I do wonder just how much a MLB license costs for PS anyhow.
Shaun, have you ever attempted to secure one?

In the 1980's my friend had a MLB license to put team logos on toothbrushes.

then again, with all the free 3rd party add ons - who needs it.

MPHopcroft1 -> RE: No more MLB license (8/9/2006 8:27:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward

However, I do wonder just how much a MLB license costs for PS anyhow.

The problem is not so much cost as availability. Historically, the MLBPA has never had a real understanding of the hobby game industry, with the result that their legal and licensing departments cannot fathom the difference between the cards produced by a company such as Upper Deck or Topps (intended to be a collectible) and one produced for a boardgame such as APBA or Strat-O-Matic. Nor do they see the design distinctions between a game such as Puresim and one such as MLB '05, which may not be legally relevant but are vital to the economics of their publication and marketing.

Add that to the tendency of large videogame companies such as EA Sports to seek exclusivity in league licensing, and we have a problem of offical MLB licensinging and player licensing being unavailable at any cost to must small presses (and compared to EA, very few companies AREN'T small presses).

Amaroq -> RE: No more MLB license (8/10/2006 12:04:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward
Well, I aint no lawyer but there doesn't seem to be any relevance for Pure Sim cause it only involves player names & stats.

It certainly gives Matrix a legal precedent to point to if somebody tries to sue them over inclusion of the Lahman database, which was a bit of a controversial decision when first implemented.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI