Dug in tanks! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room

Ecthelion008 -> Dug in tanks! (8/14/2006 6:42:44 AM)

So... why are dug-in armored units so unbelievably tough? I mean, they do not receive the enormous dug-in/forest/urban bonuses that infantry and towed guns get. Yet it seems their lethality and defensive power skyrockets once they dig-in, especially on good terrain.

I realize that a tank in the hull down position is tough to knockout, but things like airstrikes and artillery combined with overwhelming numbers of tanks and infantry should do the trick, though more often than not, the lone tank units prevail...

Industrial -> RE: Dug in tanks! (8/14/2006 10:29:27 AM)

...especially if it's a tank unit with just a few tanks, say 15 StuG. I have a suspicion, that TOAWs combat resolution is at least partly based on percentages instead of actual attacks equipment vs equipment.

I saw it quite often, when doing pure bombardment with Heavy Bombers on an infantry unit, every combat turn I'd inflict 10% losses, at turn 1 thats 10 infantry squads dead (in a unit of 100), but after a few attacks with the defender down to say 20 squads, I will still inflict only 10% damage and thats just 2 squads by than.

Yes, the defender is probably more dispersed with only 20 squads in a hex than with 100 squads and therefore harder to hit, and I suspect this to be coded into the combat code. So when you take your division of tanks to attack the lone 10 remaining tanks, the defender gets an artifical bonus for beeing dispersed, and your tanks simply cant hit them. While you might be attacking from a red stacked hex and take a stiff overstacking penalty.

This is only speculation from my part, as I don't have the game code, but I agree that sometimes it gets really strange, same when 2 armored trains manage to defend a 10km hex against a whole attacking division, makes you wonder how they do that, the gaps between them should be so big that a whole regiment should be able to slip through without them noticing.

Oh well, more work for Ralph I guess [:D]

Catch21 -> RE: Dug in tanks! (8/14/2006 2:53:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Industrial
I saw it quite often, when doing pure bombardment with Heavy Bombers on an infantry unit, every combat turn I'd inflict 10% losses, at turn 1 thats 10 infantry squads dead (in a unit of 100), but after a few attacks with the defender down to say 20 squads, I will still inflict only 10% damage and thats just 2 squads by than.

I've noted similar observations. Another reason to break units down in smaller scenarios rather than keep whole- the reduction in losses can more than balance the loss in proficiency, though I believe (?) this will also reduce the number of replacements the pieces get due to rounding.

Anthropoid -> RE: Dug in tanks! (8/14/2006 4:07:59 PM)

It might partly be the Advanced Game PO settings. I had my jacked up to the highest possible level of PO advantage, and I was getting walloped. Turned it down to moderate PO intelligence and no handicap and things seem more like in PBEMs against a human. Evidently, the PO in this version is highly improved from previous versions, and if you give it advantages in some of the scenarios it becomes a super-PO.

golden delicious -> RE: Dug in tanks! (8/14/2006 6:23:02 PM)

See this discussion;
http://www.tdg.nu/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1152466524/0#0

JAMiAM -> RE: Dug in tanks! (8/14/2006 7:46:59 PM)

When we rework the combat routines, we'll address this.

a white rabbit -> RE: Dug in tanks! (8/14/2006 8:14:02 PM)

..not tiil i've finished with Chuck2 you won't..

MikeC_81 -> RE: Dug in tanks! (8/15/2006 8:55:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

When we rework the combat routines, we'll address this.

I don't know if this means you already come up with a solution but here is my 2 cents.

I remember back in TOAW I when armor penetration used to work differently since it wasn't done shot by shot but rather in an amalgamated fashion, armor tended to be quite easily destroyed by hordes of infantry making tanks much less valuable.

TOAW seems to have swung the balance a lot farther in the other end by the very harsh penetration calculations. For example an Assault AT+ squad would be representative of a modern day infantry squad armed with assault rifles and light man portable anti-tank weapons like RPGs and AT-4s. These squads in the game might as well have anti-tank strenghts of 0 when on the attack.

Following the calcuation provided in the manual.

Infantry's chance to kill a modest tank. Say a basic T-72 (unimproved model) with a HEAT defense of 39.
PQ= 15*100/39
=38.46

Chance to kill = (38.46^2)/100
=14.8%

Thats for a tank who's unit is deployed in a fortified deployment. If we dig in those tanks they become nigh unkillable.

fortified deployment = defensive strength x3 for vehicles.

PQ= 15*100/39*3
=12.8 < 25

so chance to kill is 0. And this is for a tank that has relatively low on the defense chart. Effectively, infantry have no chance to kill any armor with a defensive strength of 60 if in mobile deployment, 40 if dug in or in a lot of different defensive terrains, and 20!!!! if the armor is fortified or in a fortified hex.

You could have 10,000 infantrymen smash into those tanks with absolutely no effect. In higher level scenarios (division and up) this problem isn't so glaring since units tend to be mixed enough so that even if the tanks don't get destroyed, enough other equipment will be mauled so that it fails a quality check and retreats.

But in battalion level or even regimental/brigade I think you are going to run into a lot of very pure or close to pure armor where even if it is heavily outnumbered, defending armor gets a huge advantage.

My proposed solution.

I understand you can't make infantry anti-armor strength anymore than what it is otherwise we would run into the same problem as earlier versions of TOAW I where tanks were too underpowered.

But what if we assign a range check to all AT fire or other relevant systems and multiply their AT strenghts via quality checks. Here is what I am thinking.

An AT strenght of 15 is a very reasonable AT score for Infantry rolling in to attack some T-72s in well prepared fortifications at the beginning of the attack (could be tucked in by engineers with multiple hulldown firing positions for each tank). As the infantry roll into the maximum engangement range for the tanks, your puny RPG isn't going to hurt those tanks. But in a real life battlefield situation if a unit commander was faced with that situation, he wouldn't continue to stay at standoff range and let the tanks pound his infantry. He would either break off the attack or close rapidly to get into range in which his weapons would be effective. After each round of combat, the attacking unit must already perform a check to see if it breaks off the attack.

I propse an additional quality check. If more than half, for argument's sake (this value could change or other conditions could be suggested) of the attacker's equipment finds itself unable to penetrate (or if it finds the penetration chance too low), it will attempt to close with the enemy to a range in which its weapons would be more effective. If it passes this quality check, all the equipment in the unit recieves a multiplier (2x? 3x? discuss?) to its anti-armor and anti-personel strength. At the same time the defending units anti-armor and anti-personel strenght is increased by the same amount to reflect its ability to kill at a closer range.

If it fails check, then it must continue to fight at "standoff range" and get pounded for another round before it again is allowed to check to see whether it breaks off or whether it can close with the enemy and bring its weapons to bear.

Additionally, this could be combined with recon values as well. A recon check could allow a unit to determine whether it wants to try and close right from the start or if it wants to start off closing in right away. If it fails the recon check a unit must start the engagement off at standoff range and then determine correct course of action after the first round.

This can idea can be used for defense as well. A unit on defense may make a quality check to see if it can avoid detection and ambush the enemy and fight at its desired range. For example: An infantry unit facing attack from a tank heavy force might decide to wait for them to close before really opening fire. In effect simulating ambush conditions or the defenders themselves moving forward to better engage with their weapons.

Or a defending unit of tanks might choose to back off and restablish standoff range after the attacker has managed to close. If both attackers and defenders pass their "ranging" qualiting tests, ties go to attackers which will choose the range.

Whether there would be multiple ranges I don't know. Obviously the devil is in the details. But from pure theorycraft, it would address several problems.

1. You can no longer, especially in WWII scenarios send small units of armor backed by artillery to absolutley slaughter infantrymen with nearly 0 risk.

2. You will no longer have small units of dug in armored vehicles/ mobile AA guns etc. stand up to large masses of infantry simply because they can't penetrate.

3. It will encourage more combined arms and give more power to infantry and or underpowered tanks vs other armored vehicles in very specific instances where this game has a problem without severly hurting the top end of the combat food chain in most situations.

4. While not a problem it does give recon another use besides unit identification and adding a bit of combat power in the first round.

Thoughts?

golden delicious -> RE: Dug in tanks! (8/15/2006 10:17:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeC_81

fortified deployment = defensive strength x3 for vehicles.

PQ= 15*100/39*3
=12.8 < 25

No. This test is made against armour value, not defensive strength. So this equation is unaffected by entrenching.

quote:

Effectively, infantry have no chance to kill any armor with a defensive strength of 60

Infantry squads. If you have one of the separate ATGM equipment types then this isn't true. Few infantry units in the period you're talking about will not. Add that TOAW III adds a side/rear armour penetration possibility, which further boosts the chance to knock out tanks. The problem is that on the attack these weapons only fire a minimal number of shots.

quote:

This can idea can be used for defense as well.

Pure armour attacking infantry currently works fine in TOAW. It's only the reverse that is a problem.

TOCarroll -> RE: Dug in tanks! (8/18/2006 6:33:53 PM)

Probably a dumb question, but didn't most (historical) WW2 batallion sized infantry inits have some anti-tank capacity attached? I know that later in the war, you couldnt run into a squad of infantry that didnt have bazooks, panzerfausts, ect. They were cheap to produce, and by '42 both sides knew (theoretically) how to deal with armour. (Please don't remind me of the English 2 pounder--no one is perfect[8|]--by by 42, they had the 6 pounder.

I'm not saying a pure infantry unit should be able to smash an armour division, just curoius about the combined arms (area anti-tank) capacity of a batallion sized unit.

golden delicious -> RE: Dug in tanks! (8/18/2006 6:55:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOCarroll

(Please don't remind me of the English 2 pounder--no one is perfect[8|]

Well, the Army was faced with a straight choice between hundreds of 2 pounders and dozens of 6 pounders. The 2 pounder sufficed against the vast majority of Axis armour (long-barrelled Pz-IVs were NOT the norm in the desert war), and was preferable to having nothing at all (or the Boys AT Rifle, which was about equivalent to having nothing at all).

Anyway, non-motorised anti-tank equipment makes very, very few shots on the attack. So anti-tank guns and anti-tank rockets will only kill a handful of tanks when attacking.

TOCarroll -> RE: Dug in tanks! (8/19/2006 2:48:09 AM)

'Preciate it, Golden. I need all the desert lore I can get, as well as other WW2 goodies. [:D] This has always been such a fascinating game system; I'm very glad to see a bit of how the pieces all fit together (or don't in a couple of cases) [;)]. Gotta agree with you about the 2 pounder. The Italians managed to hole quite a few British tanks with their equivalent 47mm, if they got close enough or got a side or rear shot. [:'(]

golden delicious -> RE: Dug in tanks! (8/19/2006 4:57:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOCarroll

'Preciate it, Golden. I need all the desert lore I can get, as well as other WW2 goodies. [:D] This has always been such a fascinating game system; I'm very glad to see a bit of how the pieces all fit together (or don't in a couple of cases) [;)]. Gotta agree with you about the 2 pounder. The Italians managed to hole quite a few British tanks with their equivalent 47mm, if they got close enough or got a side or rear shot. [:'(]

Yeah. Got to remember that even the Germans were only using 50mm and even a few 37mm guns as late as Alamein. People tend to like to make comparisons between the best that was available- so we get long-barrelled Pz-IVs versus Crusaders & Matildas. Of course there were only thirty of the former at Alamein.

TOCarroll -> RE: Dug in tanks! (8/19/2006 5:32:04 PM)

Yep, just like in real life, the big guns get all the publicity.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI