Magic Carpet (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room

Arkady -> Magic Carpet (8/15/2006 1:10:34 PM)

Hi,
I need resupply front-line bases in first half of 1942. As japanese have full air superiority I must rely on submarines.
Unfortunately there is not dedicated transport sub around. What is best to use ?
Gato class have best capacity - 60. Only eight subs arrive within first three months though.
Narwhal (2 subs) and Salmon (16 subs) are second choice - capacity 48.

Or there is another way how to reach base where all waters around are under strict interdiction of japanese air units ?

Terminus -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/15/2006 1:58:29 PM)

What bases are we talking about? Is it really worth using your boats?

Arkady -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/15/2006 3:35:35 PM)

Pearl Harbor :)

Japanese quickly captured all Hawaian bases except PH, strong land based air force is reinforced by KB and some bombardment TFs.
Later they invaded PH, their nominal assault value is twice my numbers but I have fort 5 for now =  stalemate for last three weeks.
There is not chance run AKs there and subs are only option to keep japs at bay. It's mid March and I need wait till Zero bonus fade before I try set up something like operation 'Pedestal'. Fortunately my CVs are intact.

niceguy2005 -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/15/2006 3:42:19 PM)

Oh, you're in a lot of trouble. [:D]

I can't imagine that every sub you have will even begin to supply a decent defence of PH.

How bad is the supply situation? If you can last until may and mass your carriers you may be ok.

niceguy2005 -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/15/2006 3:42:44 PM)

Just a thought, who controls Midway, Palyrma and Johnston? If you can last until May you might try a flanking manuever by attacking some of his rear bases and cut off his supply lines.

Arkady -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/15/2006 3:59:22 PM)

Yes, I'm in trouble for now :)

Midway and Johnston are japanese bases, I stop two invasion attempts  on Palmyra though, first my CA squadron destroyed one TF in second week of the war and last week after I reinforced P. with 2nd USMC division and 30k supplies, another attempt was stop on the beaches.

On PH I have for now 10k+ supplies but it is just enough to fed my forces, no chance to quickly repair airfield after bombing or reinforce air groups

I switch around 25-30 subs to transport duty and lifting supplies between west coast and PH, I plan reroute some subs to supply PH from Palmyra after another convoy reach P. within  few weeks.

niceguy2005 -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/15/2006 4:10:56 PM)

Sounds like you are doing all you can. DOn't forget about Christmas Is though.

Hoplosternum -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/15/2006 4:14:06 PM)

I would have thought Pearl just needs far too much supply to make it worth while. Hence your subs would be better off interdicting his long supply lines, or trying to scare away his CVs. ASW ships run out of depth charges fairly quickly especially with the new ASW routines meaning they fire lots of depth charges but don't hit often.

Have you tried fast transport runs? A single destroyer can bring in 250 supply. 4 times as much as a Gato and if sent in one at a time or in small groups should have a low detection profile. Plus they will be 6 hexes out by morning [:)]

Anyway good luck with this one [:D]

But quite frankly Pearl is not that important a base except psychologically. I would not lose your CVs trying to save it. You can supply Australia and your counter attacks from India or by pathing from San Francisco far to the South and East of Pearl. You are unlikely to launch any offensives from their even in the longer term. You can strike South West from the Aleutians for Wake & Midway and from Fiji etc. for the Gilberts/Marshalls. The most painful loss will be the nice shipyard for your upgrades and damaged ships [:)]

Arkady -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/15/2006 4:31:16 PM)

Christmass island is  secured, army division and some engineers with a lot of supplies.

I tried DDs run, lost 5 of 6. Japanese deployed Nells on Lahaina and they detect too early.

Yes, keeping PH is psychological and of course I must keep it as long as I can, 4 heavily damaged BBs in port without chance to escape.

niceguy2005 -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/15/2006 4:44:30 PM)

Its a long shot, but is PH within supply transport range of B-17s or Cats? Even with air superiority many transports can get through, in paticular the B-17s.

Arkady -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/15/2006 5:08:05 PM)

Unfortunately I don't have any base within supply transport range.
Palmyra is 17 hexes away and Coronado need 15 hexes for extended range.

Fishbed -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/15/2006 5:15:46 PM)

Arkady, any plan to make an AAR out of your game?
I am sure a lot of people would be interested - we already have the japanese perspective thanks to Admiral Laurent, but his opponent just lost all his fleet in an liberation attempt - you still have yours, I guess it would be nice to monitor your moves too [:)]

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/15/2006 6:08:05 PM)

Arkady i 'think' supply transports fly to 1/2 thier transfer range which is longer then extended range for supply runs, try setting some up is my advice.

niceguy2005 -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/15/2006 7:04:49 PM)

I think Rob is right. B-17s can haul a lot of stuff a long way. Plus they can defend themselves quite well when facing enemy cap.

Dino -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/15/2006 7:50:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arkady

Yes, keeping PH is psychological and of course I must keep it as long as I can, 4 heavily damaged BBs in port without chance to escape.

This only makes sense if you can win that battle...otherwise, those BBs are doomed, sooner or later.

I might even consider using one of the BBs as bait for LBA, while I run multiple single-ship supply TFs in from various directions...dicey and costly, but it might work.

As a side note, there are also some Tambor class subs with 60 capacity, but the amount of supply that subs carry is only 1/2 or 1/3 of their stated capacity, anyway

ctangus -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/16/2006 3:06:15 AM)

Yep, both B-17s and Coronados have the range. Although Catalinas are 1 hex short IIRC.

On the subs, I agree with an earlier poster - the amount of supply they can carry is very small & they'd be better off trying to interdict his supply lines (despite the dud rates).

He also has to have most his naval strength near Hawaii. Is there any trouble you can make in the meantime in the SRA?

VSWG -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/16/2006 6:03:11 AM)

Interesting situation! Is he making bombardment runs to Pearl? Air attacks? If not, you might be surprised how long your supplies will last.

scott64 -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/16/2006 7:30:24 AM)

How about Coronado's from Xmas Island? [:'(] What I am doing in my 2x2 with Farber...Revenge of the Penguin [:'(]

[sm=00000028.gif][sm=00001746.gif][sm=Crazy-1271.gif]

Arkady -> RE: Magic Carpet (8/16/2006 12:11:31 PM)

Good advice about using planes from Christmass Il - I'll try it
I'll not use damaged ships from PH as a bait for LBA, my opponents  will gain too many points

SRA is almost completely conquered, they bypassed Filipines and all extra forces commited there.
I'm trying few flanks attacks with bombardment TFs and I used my CVs too (sunk 5 TK near Midway)

No AAR at all...no time for it, I'm playing 3 multi player PBEM games (2x2) and another WPO PBEM game

heenanc -> RE: Magic Carpet (5/18/2007 11:59:46 AM)

This is an old post but I've only just read it. The people who were battling it out for pearl maybe long gone but if there still around I was wondering what happened!!

KPAX -> RE: Magic Carpet (5/19/2007 5:44:41 AM)

I am in the same situation, but lost Christmas but hold Palymra.  The supply thing to PH is tough, but with single AKs from the W Coast you can get a few in.  With 6k each evern a few in there will help.

I have used my subs from PH to mine the crap out of the Hawaii bases he controls.  With crap torps, may as well use mines.  That works pretty well.

Another thought is use some of those SC ships to do quick raids.  Even if they are damaged, just do a quick raid with set to Auto-Disband.  They make their run and disband into port.  Not much, but can keep him on his toes.

Yes, tough situation, but requires a lot of resources for Japan to hold all that.

Mynok -> RE: Magic Carpet (5/19/2007 5:53:26 AM)

Why not use your carriers to LRCAP fast transport TFs to Pearl? Or use small AK in cargo TFs. You will lose some, but the Japs will lose lots of Nells/Bettys and you'll unload lots of supplies because PH is a big port.

Sardaukar -> RE: Magic Carpet (5/19/2007 11:25:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok
Why not use your carriers to LRCAP fast transport TFs to Pearl? Or use small AK in cargo TFs. You will lose some, but the Japs will lose lots of Nells/Bettys and you'll unload lots of supplies because PH is a big port.

If you LRCAP Trasport TF with your CVs..they won't have CAP against air attack... And Betties/Nells have looong range... It's impossible to LRCAP outside their range. And even IJAAF bombers have decent range compared to Wildcats...

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI