Composite Units (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design

TOCarroll -> Composite Units (8/19/2006 5:42:19 PM)

What do you folks mean by "composite units"? On a divisional scale, I have seen infantry divisions with attached artillery, anti-tank, recon, ect. Are we talking about an infantry batallion with attached tanks? An infantry division with attached air? All of the above?

I believe I am going to hit the 150+ posts simply from sheer stupidity. I've had this game since the day after it was released, and WOTY since ~2000, and every time I read this forum, I find out I know even less about the game than I thought.[8|] Kudos for a VERY deep system. [&o][&o][&o]

golden delicious -> RE: Composite Units (8/19/2006 6:03:41 PM)

It's a feature which doesn't exist yet. The idea is to be able to attach smaller units to larger ones, as was done on numerous occasions historically (much like attaching a brigade in HOI2) or to form a Kampfgruppe of various smaller units for a particular task.

Sandrik -> RE: Composite Units (8/20/2006 6:59:10 PM)

Most armys do this and in the case of the Israeli Defense Forces it is (and has been) SOP. Many times they will take several smaller units and on the fly assign them to a commander creating an Ad Hoc Brigade or Division (Udga). This units have no formal structure and may be very fluid in their composition. This was done in the battle of Chinese Farm in 1973 when Reshef's 14th armored Brigade was actually a seven (7) battalion unit (with three (3) additional Battalions assigned for the mission at hand) + supporting units. Adan covers this aspect very well in "On the Banks of the Suez" as does Herzog in "War of Attonment." I used both sources in developing an OOB for Chinese Farm '73. This is just one example of a composite unit. A little further into the Battle MG Kalman Magen was in command of the 146th Composite Udga which had a very fluid structure and ceased to exist after the war.

Al

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI