Announcer Pronunciation of Name (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

DaddyO -> Announcer Pronunciation of Name (8/22/2006 6:56:41 PM)

I am currently checking out the demo. In the regular game, can the pronunciations of the player names be edited using phonetic spelling so they are correct? The current mispronunciations bug me. In the old Amiga version of Earl Weaver Baseball you could correct this if you could figure out the phonetic spelling.

Amaroq -> RE: Announcer Pronunciation of Name (8/22/2006 9:10:17 PM)

I don't know.

The pronunciation is, I think, from Windows Speech, so I doubt there's anything the game can do about it - but I don't know for sure.

Abev -> RE: Announcer Pronunciation of Name (8/22/2006 10:28:25 PM)

I another really cool sim I play (Air Traffic Control Center) you control aircraft via speech comands, and that sim uses the MS Speech SDK 4.0 and it allows you to adjust the way names are pronounced. If PS uses the same engine, maybe you can adjust their output. We would need to Shaun to weigh in on this tho.

DaddyO -> RE: Announcer Pronunciation of Name (8/22/2006 10:52:03 PM)

Since I don't have the full game, only the demo, I don't know what is accessible, but I can tell you from past experience the announced names are generated by a program (like you suggest, probably a Windows program) that follows phonetic rules of interpreting typed speech. If the player database has the capability to insert or edit a phonetically spelled version of a player name the announcer will pronounce it correctly.

DaddyO -> RE: Announcer Pronunciation of Name (8/22/2006 10:57:58 PM)

I should add that if this is not currently part of the game Shaun should look at this as for the 2008 version. It would seem to be the perfect opportunity for third party mods. He wouldn't have to do the work himself on the phonetic spellings. Let the whole community have at it and before long you would have a mod for all existing players with the right pronunciation. Would sure help the game.

KG Erwin -> RE: Announcer Pronunciation of Name (8/23/2006 1:27:00 AM)

DaddyO, my first suggestion to you is to go ahead and invest in the game.   We're closing in an official patch and many third-party mods are available. 

I don't use the speech mode, but some of us have altered the music for the game.

Btw, man, have you ever tried to come up with phonetic spellings for players of Central/Eastern European or Greek descent?  Yikes. [X(]

DaddyO -> RE: Announcer Pronunciation of Name (8/23/2006 1:38:11 AM)

KGE,

Re: Investing in the game...thinking about it. I already own DMB, and am used to the fabulous play-by-play it provides. Puresim needs work there. But I HATE the fact that in DMB if you don't use real life transactions your only choice for roster management is to do it manually.

Re: Central/Eastern European or Greek heritage phonetic spellings...no, I never quite got around to THAT one, but if I ever move there or try to set up a league based on that locale, I'll sure give it some serious thought...[:)]

Beach23BoyP -> RE: Announcer Pronunciation of Name (8/23/2006 5:23:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaddyO

I am currently checking out the demo. In the regular game, can the pronunciations of the player names be edited using phonetic spelling so they are correct? The current mispronunciations bug me. In the old Amiga version of Earl Weaver Baseball you could correct this if you could figure out the phonetic spelling.

Might be possible to change their names to the phonetic spelling, but then their names would look kinda strange on the player cards and in the line-ups. I don't think very many people use the Windows speech engine. I couldn't stand it myself.

If you want "speech and announcing" -- I suggest you try and pickup a copy of APBA's "Broadcast Blast" with Ernie Harwell (Baseball for Windows). I use to really enjoy listening to Harwell call the games. However, it is not a career type BB sim.

Nukester -> RE: Announcer Pronunciation of Name (8/23/2006 6:16:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaddyO

If you want "speech and announcing" -- I suggest you try and pickup a copy of APBA's "Broadcast Blast" with Ernie Harwell (Baseball for Windows). I use to really enjoy listening to Harwell call the games. However, it is not a career type BB sim.

Best audio EVER in a sports sim

KG Erwin -> RE: Announcer Pronunciation of Name (8/23/2006 6:35:01 AM)

With Pure Sim, I'm pretty happy with the player photos.  Hearing the speech engine mangling names like Ted Kluzsweski or Felix Mackiewcz is just distracting.  Heck, I can barely pronounce them, if at all.  Don't need it. 

DaddyO -> RE: Announcer Pronunciation of Name (8/23/2006 7:22:47 AM)

Just to be clear, I am not talking about changing the player name field, per se. I'm talking about whether there is an editable separate field in the player database where you can enter phonetic spelling so the name is announced correctly. Earl Weaver Baseball for Amiga used to have this. I was just wondering if Puresim did. Apparently not. Again, I think if you're going to have the feature where player names can be announced, you need to make sure there is a way for the pronunciation to be correct.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI