Angle of Attack (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

RERomine -> Angle of Attack (9/22/2006 7:39:29 PM)

Does SPWaW take into account the angle from an armored target is fired up?

Example: A tiger tank, facing directly north is fired at by pershing tank from the northeast. The angle of attack effectly makes the tiger's nearly vertical armor front and side armor act as though it's sloped 45 degrees, resulting in a greater ballistic thickness on both sides.

I know in the above example, it is possible to hit the front of the side of the tiger. Once hit, is the angle of attack considered or is it calculated as a square on shot taking into consideration only the slope of the armor? Obviously, I'm referring to kinetic energy projectiles and not HEAT, HE, HESH, ect., rounds.

chief -> RE: Angle of Attack (9/22/2006 8:19:01 PM)

Yes, it is taken into account.  If you also want to leave ur frontal armor facing a possible threat, try using "T" key then only your turret will point elsewhere (on turreted vehicles of course). I can't give you the ballistics of ur original question, but its definitely figured in.

Alby -> RE: Angle of Attack (9/22/2006 8:54:41 PM)

plus AFVs have "slope" armor ratings too.
along with the standard armor ratings

RERomine -> RE: Angle of Attack (9/22/2006 8:57:28 PM)

There are instances where tanks with thick sides opted more for an angled orientation to the threat because of the the ballistic advantages and that's why I asked. The tiger is one of those tanks. An angled hit on the side armor was safer than taking a square on hit on the front. Obviously, there are other considerations, however. On an angle, more of the tank is visible to hit. Getting hit might not a concern if your armor can't be penetrated, but a mobility kill is easier unless there is a convenient stonewall nearby.

RERomine -> RE: Angle of Attack (9/22/2006 9:06:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

plus AFVs have "slope" armor ratings too.
along with the standard armor ratings

Yes, but it is based on the actual slope of the armor. A tank engaged from 20 different locations would realistically have different ballistic thicknesses for each angle of attack. If the angle of attack is not considered, it is best to have the best ballistic thickness (usually the front armor) toward the threat. Obviously not realistic if engaging 20 targets but in a one on one and your tank is a tiger, which is better in the game, square on or on an angle? In real life, the angle is better, from a ballistic thickness point of view.

Alby -> RE: Angle of Attack (9/22/2006 9:15:41 PM)

you need soomeone with more knowledge of the armored combat program than me...LOL

oh Mike Wood!!!

[:D]

vahauser -> RE: Angle of Attack (9/22/2006 9:26:55 PM)

RERomine,

Angle of attack is taken into account for each and every shot.

Angle of attack is even taken into account when the firing unit and the target are on different elevations.

Armor slope is also accounted for in an identical manner for each and every shot.

RERomine -> RE: Angle of Attack (9/22/2006 9:39:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: vahauser

RERomine,

Angle of attack is taken into account for each and every shot.

Angle of attack is even taken into account when the firing unit and the target are on different elevations.

Armor slope is also accounted for in an identical manner for each and every shot.

That's as it should be, but I thought I would check.

Thanks.

Mike Wood -> RE: Angle of Attack (9/23/2006 2:25:07 AM)

Hello...

All angles of attack are considered, as is ammunition type and armor type. So, APCR, has trouble sticking against some armor types and large, heavy rounds have greater chance to crack hardened armor, et cetera.

Bye...

Michael Wood

Steve Wilcox -> RE: Angle of Attack (9/23/2006 7:12:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

you need soomeone with more knowledge of the armored combat program than me...LOL

oh Mike Wood!!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Wood

Hello...

All angles of attack are considered, as is ammunition type and armor type. So, APCR, has trouble sticking against some armor types and large, heavy rounds have greater chance to crack hardened armor, et cetera.

Bye...

Michael Wood

Hey Alby, your summoning spell worked! [:)]

Alby -> RE: Angle of Attack (9/23/2006 11:30:15 PM)

I knew Mike could even take it a little farther, as per ammo and armor types..
Thanks Mike

KG Erwin -> RE: Angle of Attack (9/24/2006 12:00:44 AM)

Man, oh, man, I already knew that Mr. Wood was a genius (after all, he was a Marine [;)]), but the subtleties of the game code still leave me in awe. 

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI