AARs (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865

Oldguard -> AARs (10/16/2006 10:48:16 PM)

While I haven't had any time at all to lend at hand on the general bios, that doesn't mean I haven't been mulling things over in my head in eager anticipation.

In other games I've played, writing an AAR and reading those of others has always been something I've enjoyed greatly. I intend to do something along this line with FoF, but I'm unsure right now which tack I'll take.

* Historical timeline. Less personal, possibly less interesting but faster to write it would involve detailing the movements of corps & armies, battle results and political events. If there's a good chance of anomalous outcomes that contradict history these can still be interesting.

* Personal memoirs. My own inclination is toward this option. I'm a fair writer and have done some work on the American Indian Wars before, and it's always interesting trying to put myself into the viewpoint of a 19th century general. I could see this including snippets of the Historical Timeline approach but with much more personal embellishment. Going days without sleep in order to outmarch your enemy, then braving the musket volleys and walls of bayonets to achieve your objective --- that's the stuff of great fiction if crafted well.

Have any of you given thought to AARs you might be interested in writing?

While I'm on the topic, is there any chance of us seeing some beta AARs when the NDA comes off? I'll be devouring the manual but I would think that the gameplay experiences of the testers would be invaluable to inspiring us and also informing us as to what works and what doesn't.

Gil R. -> RE: AARs (10/17/2006 12:17:40 AM)

It would be nice to post one or two AAR's, but the truth is that I and the others are so busy play-testing (and programming, etc., of course) that we can't take the time. But maybe in that 2- or 3-week period between when we deliver the finished product to Matrix and Matrix delivers it to you all we'll find the time.

Also, one or two of our beta-testers enjoy that sort of thing, and might be up for it.

Oldguard -> RE: AARs (10/17/2006 6:20:49 PM)

Gil, thanks for the reply.  I don't want to imply that I think beta testers should be doing anything other than finishing the game - that would run against my own selfish impatience to finally have a copy in my hands :)   But if some of you guys can post some AARs after the deadlines are past and the game is on the way, it would be most welcome and serve to intensify our already-enthusiastic anticipation.

Grotius -> RE: AARs (10/19/2006 12:46:45 AM)

I'd also like to see an AAR, and like Oldguard I understand that testing comes first. But if, as part of testing, a tester happens to keep screenshots of how the game went, I'd love to see them at some point!

dh76513 -> RE: AARs (10/19/2006 7:05:23 PM)

Me three!

Terminus -> RE: AARs (10/19/2006 7:08:51 PM)

We're working on providing some screenshots. Can't just throw out any ol' ones, you know...

Hard Sarge -> RE: AARs (10/19/2006 7:29:10 PM)

Oh, I got some Villes to show ya, but I do not think those are allowed

don't say anything about the Knob Term

the next build, we may be able to get some short AARs done

Terminus -> RE: AARs (10/19/2006 8:06:42 PM)

I will not be mentioning the K-word...[:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI