New Toy Need some Suggestions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

sfbaytf -> New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/3/2006 12:58:26 AM)

Got me a new toy:

http://www.oqo.com/

I'm about to load WitP on it. I already loaded Europa Universallis 2 and it works. The device runs in 800x600 32 bit color if not attached to a monitor. I need some suggestions for some games I could play on it...

tsimmonds -> RE: New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/3/2006 1:31:54 AM)

WitP on that? Son, you must is got a sweet tooth for punish-mints. [;)]

BrucePowers -> RE: New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/3/2006 2:11:44 AM)

Cooool!![:)]

sfbaytf -> RE: New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/3/2006 2:43:04 AM)

No doubt the small screen size is a challenge, but this is the wave of the future. This will give life to those old school games that will run in 800x600!!!

bradfordkay -> RE: New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/3/2006 6:47:30 AM)

Damned young whippersnapper... Nothing that was designed to run in 800x600 (or on any other video screen!) can truly be called "old school". That moniker is reserved for boardgames published by Avalon Hill, SPI, Battleline, Yaquinto and others from the pre-binary era...[;)]

mogami -> RE: New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/3/2006 6:50:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Damned young whippersnapper... Nothing that was designed to run in 800x600 (or on any other video screen!) can truly be called "old school". That moniker is reserved for boardgames published by Avalon Hill, SPI, Battleline, Yaquinto and others from the pre-binary era...[;)]

Hi, NO "OLD SCHOOL" is little lead figures painted and mounted and pushed around on table tops by men who use tape measures for distance and dice.

bradfordkay -> RE: New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/3/2006 6:55:43 AM)

That's what got me into wargaming in the first place. My dad and I went to the "Toy Shoppe" in Richmond, Virginia to buy more Britain's miniatures so that we could expand our play using H.G. Wells' "Little Wars" system. As we were walking down an aisle towards the Britains display case, we saw these boxes marked Gettysburg, D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, Jutland, and Afrika Korps. We bought the last one and I've been hooked ever since (it was 1969 and I was eleven at the time).

wworld7 -> RE: New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/3/2006 7:11:20 AM)

quote:

That's what got me into wargaming in the first place. My dad and I went to the "Toy Shoppe" in Richmond, Virginia to buy more Britain's miniatures so that we could expand our play using H.G. Wells' "Little Wars" system. As we were walking down an aisle towards the Britains display case, we saw these boxes marked Gettysburg, D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, Jutland, and Afrika Korps. We bought the last one and I've been hooked ever since (it was 1969 and I was eleven at the time).

Ah...the GOOD old days were FUN!!!

Flipper

Mike Wood -> RE: New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/3/2006 7:29:27 AM)

Hello....

Ya. Old rule set, "Tin Soldiers" was first published by H.G. Wells.

Bye...

Michael Wood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

quote:

Hi, NO "OLD SCHOOL" is little lead figures painted and mounted and pushed around on table tops by men who use tape measures for distance and dice.

rokohn -> RE: New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/8/2006 10:38:33 PM)

For me, it was back in '68.  Saw a box labeled "Bismarck" in a toy store.  Thought it was a plastic model from a new company called Avalon Hill.

Surprised I was when I open it and saw my first War Game.

Then I started noticing the other games next to the box.

The rest is history.

Mike Solli -> RE: New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/8/2006 11:04:41 PM)

For me it was AHs Panzer Blitz at Christmas 1970 (age 10) from my sister. She's been kicking herself ever since. [:D]

wild_Willie2 -> RE: New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/8/2006 11:39:41 PM)

1970 [X(][X(][X(][X(] I wasn't even BORN then......

I think my first wargame was "rattenkrieg" on my amiga 500 + (spend 80 bucks on an EXTRA 1/2 MB of RAM in order to get the + ) [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

I just rememberd asking myself WHY those mechanised german recon units had such an high assaul value in an urban enviroment.

After some reading I found that mechanised german recon units often where confused with german mechanised INFANTRY units. I found that an plausible explanation for that anomaly. I must have been arround 12 at that time [8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]

While other kids went out to play, I was thinking about multiplying my assault values by adding arty, engineers, armour and air support in my assault on the "Red October" factory....

Mike Solli -> RE: New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/8/2006 11:46:28 PM)

Pffftttt! [;)]

wworld7 -> RE: New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/9/2006 3:16:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

For me it was AHs Panzer Blitz at Christmas 1970 (age 10) from my sister. She's been kicking herself ever since. [:D]

For me it was my mother giving me AHs Luftwaffle for my 13th birthday (1972).

Soon followed Afrika Korp, Stalingrad, D-Day, Waterloo and a bunch of others.

I would pay $500.00 for a computer verison of D-day or Stalingrad (or something close). I miss the days of combat reults tables (CRTs).

Flipper

RevRick -> RE: New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/9/2006 4:13:11 AM)

Hmm. I got D-Day on my 12th birthday, too. But it was in 1962. Been playing ever since. Finally found a war gaming buddy for keeps when I got out of the Navy and went back to college - Wooden Ships, Iron Men. Ever get a US 44 in a stern rake at range 1 with a double shot load? Played havoc with a RN 74, it did - dismasted the beastie with one broadside. Then I was really hooked.

Ursa MAior -> RE: New Toy Need some Suggestions (11/9/2006 10:42:28 AM)

WSIM! I have this beauty. Organized a summr long campaign (with photocopied and enlarged school map of the Atlantic and Mediterranean) for my brother and his friend (aged 12). Of course I was playing France and was annihilated twice then gaiing a draw in a 30+ SOL per side battle (we used photocopied counters to have more ships +basic rules). The thing lasted a day! my mom and my fiancee wer not happy at all. We spent days sitting around the table in the house )instead of going to swim etc.).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI