Is Sapporo connected? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

mc3744 -> Is Sapporo connected? (11/13/2006 12:38:16 PM)

After over one year of playing exclusively the Allies I'm now giving it a shot with the Japs.

I brought oil to Sapporo, but it disappears in 1-2 turns. Is Sapporo connected to the main Island?
What other Islands are connected? (movement-wise)

Thanks [&o]

witpqs -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/13/2006 12:42:20 PM)

That might depend on what pwhex file you are using. Here is how to see for certain.

Press the 'R' key. That will toggle on the display of the trail/road/rail network.

You can also press the 'F6' key, which will show hexsides. That will tell you if land units can move across the hexsides.

AmiralLaurent -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/13/2006 1:32:20 PM)

oil/resources/supplies will cross one hex of water if there is a port on each size. In the case of Sapporo, it is linked in this way with the Japanese mainland.

Just drop oil and resources in a Japanese port, and let the computer mess around with them. It seems to me it will bring enough for HI to work everywhere each turn, but I'm sure that any dump you will create outside Sasebo, Tokyo or Osaka will be moved by the computer shortly thereafter.

On the other hand remember to drop oil in Indochina, Formosa and China/Korea, and resources in Formosa, or you will have a part of your HI not working. You have some months before taking care of this anyway due to pre-war stocks.

Ursa MAior -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/13/2006 2:25:42 PM)

Thx this was really useful

mc3744 -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/13/2006 4:38:59 PM)

Yes it was!!! [:)]

Thanks [&o]

Sardaukar -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/13/2006 5:59:18 PM)

IIRC; the ports have to be size 5 or bigger for resources, supply, oil etc. to "jump" over the water.

Xargun -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/13/2006 9:30:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

IIRC; the ports have to be size 5 or bigger for resources, supply, oil etc. to "jump" over the water.

Size 5 ?? I thought only size 3 was required. I believe that is what the manual says - but it has been wrong in the past. Has anyone done any actual tests ?

Xargun

The Duke -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/13/2006 10:39:54 PM)

So does this mean that oil dropped at Singapore can be fed to industry in Manchuria, assuming Japanese owned roads/railways in between????

Mynok -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/14/2006 12:19:23 AM)

Yes.

Also, oil tends to move to the farthest north location in northern Japan. For instance, if you dump a bunch in Toyohara (sp?) on Sakhalin Is. It will then migrate to the city north of it. It will still get moved to the factories in time for production, so long as it is on the railroad.

mc3744 -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/14/2006 1:06:09 AM)

I've been playing almost daily for over two years [8|] ... and I'm still learning!!! [X(]

Thanks guys [:)]

Xargun -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/14/2006 2:55:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Duke

So does this mean that oil dropped at Singapore can be fed to industry in Manchuria, assuming Japanese owned roads/railways in between????

Yes and no. Oil/Resouces travel furthest on rails, but roads cut the length it travels down a lot. So Oil dropped in Singapore may feed into Bagkok and maybe Saigon / Camranh Bay but thats it. Its kinda like supplies - it only moves so far per turn. And the further it travels the less that gets moved.

You're better off dropping off oil in Singapore (for Singapore only) and dropping off in Saigon for there.

Xargun

tsimmonds -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/14/2006 3:46:28 AM)

I take oil to Singapore, Saigon, Formosa, Shanghai, Hong Kong, the Home Islands, and Foochow. Think of each port as serving a hinterland of Heavy Industry. Singapore also serves Bangkok. Saigon also serves Hanoi. Shanghai serves the mainland, etc. It is a simple matter to total the HI requirements of these regions, factor in oil production within the region, and come up with how much oil you need to haul to each port.

Clearing the rail line in China means something[;)]

Xargun -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/14/2006 4:58:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant
Clearing the rail line in China means something[;)]

Exactly. The rail line in china is very important for moving not only oil / resources to the ports, but for moving supply around between bases - and not to mention quick troop movement as well.

Xargun

Sardaukar -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/14/2006 5:19:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

Size 5 ?? I thought only size 3 was required. I believe that is what the manual says - but it has been wrong in the past. Has anyone done any actual tests ?

Xargun

I think limit is size 5, since I play CHS with Andy's 6.2/6.3 map and supply doesn't seem to jump from Wellington to base in south (not present in stock anyway)...and while Wellington is built up to 9 (IIRC), other base is max 4.

I can be wrong..but to me it seems so.

Andrew Brown -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/14/2006 6:21:13 PM)

quote:

I think limit is size 5, since I play CHS with Andy's 6.2/6.3 map and supply doesn't seem to jump from Wellington to base in south (not present in stock anyway)...and while Wellington is built up to 9 (IIRC), other base is max 4.

Interesting. I added that base - Picton - to allow supplies to go to the NZ South Island, as I also thought that the base size for this was 3. If it is really 5 then I will have to reconsider!

Andrew

mc3744 -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/14/2006 6:51:19 PM)

If I knew how many things I was missing I would have posted sooner!

[:D][:D]

Sardaukar -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/14/2006 7:18:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

Interesting. I added that base - Picton - to allow supplies to go to the NZ South Island, as I also thought that the base size for this was 3. If it is really 5 then I will have to reconsider!

Andrew

I'm not 100 % sure. It might just be that I don't have enough supplies in north to that happen. After 1.8 patches bases are really stingy when it comes to supply flow..[:'(]. But I'll try to dump 30k or something to Wellington to see what happens.

Sardaukar -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (11/20/2006 5:34:37 PM)

For Andrew Brown and others interested:

It seems that at least supply doesn't "jump" from port to port when under size of 5. AB's map, New Zealand: Picton is size 4, Wellington size 9 (or was it 8, don't remember). Wellington is "orange", low on supply. I dumped 45 000 supply on Picton and waited 10 days. No supply moved to Wellington during that time. So, I think the minimum size of port is 5 even when manual says it's 3. Couldn't test oil & resources, tho.

Can anyone confirm this ?

VSWG -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (12/29/2006 1:32:12 AM)

See this thread for some tests:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1305034

Raverdave -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (12/29/2006 3:58:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc3744

After over one year of playing exclusively the Allies I'm now giving it a shot with the Japs.

Turncoat. [:'(]

mc3744 -> RE: Is Sapporo connected? (12/29/2006 10:34:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raverdave

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc3744

Turncoat. [:'(]

[:D][:D]

It's just to learn a few more tricks kick kick their collective ... [:'(]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI