RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Marc von Martial -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (11/30/2006 1:05:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

And it appears the media love it. It was the focus of an entire show of the Colbert Report. The media seems to really like the Wii.

Sure, cause there is actually something "new" to talk about and on top of that you can show activity.

I find the concept great.

As for Veldor complaining if it needs to take a console to get some people moving their extremities. Well, I can only say sadly it seems so these days. And I ad, better this way as no activity at all [;)] Next stage Holodeck and everybody will be in great shape again, hehe.

ravinhood -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (11/30/2006 2:41:42 PM)

**Next stage Holodeck and everybody will be in great shape again, hehe.**

Heh, if I live to the Holodeck I'm going to be in the bed exercising. ;) 

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (11/30/2006 5:26:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

The difference between a 60yr old aunt playing it out of curiousity and someone playing it because it's their main hobby, is quite a major difference. In my case, as I said, it's worse than that, because I'm at a computer terminal about 95% of every day. My main recreation is through the pc, but when your work is constantly doing that as well, those wrists get very worn out and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that more movement and larger size of the instrument lead to more problems than need be. If you spend an entire waking day behind a computer, you have no idea what I'm talking about. It's something that wears on you over a much greater time period.

I doubt the games are good enough to where it would be too much a problem for the casual player, but those controls scare me away, even if I did have the least attachment to console games.

I have NO sympathy for anyone that works all day behind a PC, and then expects to whine about anything connected to being behind a PC :)

I have a sister that she sits behind a PC all day at work as well (insurance industry, real exciting work hehe). No surprise that she has no interest in anything to do with being behind a PC when she gets home. No surprise she has no interest in ANY entertainment that involves sitting on her butt after having done that all day at work hehe.

Myself, I don't spend hour after hour behind my PC as well. I can't picture how kids play hour after hour after hour of online games.
But I can understand how it is they can end up overweight.

To a normal human being, use of a Wii should come as no burden. Anyone that actually can complain though, is either not active enough long before getting in front of the Wii, or merely in bad enough health the Wii won't be enough to fix the problem.

But clearly the Wii will create a lot of "new" conditions.
My friend is a big dude, works in a physical job, is no weakling hehe. Still managed to wreck his arms day 1 from uncharacteristic motions for a protracted time.

There ARE going to be a lot of people over doing playing with this thing. And you can bet it will show up in doctors offices.
I can also assure you if I started real bowling, or real golf, or real baseball, I would be in rough shape in short order if I was playing those games 3 hours every day of the week.
I would hurt like hell, and likely be dropping weight incredibly fast too.
I'd get over the pain, I'd love watching my waist shrink too. :)

ravinhood -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (11/30/2006 11:17:54 PM)

I have this picture of an all in one exercise machine with games you play to do the exercises. ;) Like the rowing part, with a visual of you in an olympics rowing contest....well you know you'd want to win so you'd row faster and thus lose more calories and more weight and have fun doing it. I could make MILLIONS....who wants to back me? ;) Of course a track running machine with a game on it could have all kinds of olympic type sporting events on it. Marathon runs and such. The bike machine used for that French bicycle race Tour de France is that it? If they made more exericise machines with games you could play on them to imulate the exersise you are doing in a competitive nature I think they would become popular. Instead of selling just one to a household you might sell 3 or 4. ;) I think I could exercise more if I were entertained while doing so.

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (11/30/2006 11:33:53 PM)

Stick to designing a holodeck Ravinhood :)

Zakhal -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/1/2006 12:12:04 AM)

I wonder how long it is going to take until PC has wii kinds of controls. One could use them to close combat with handweapons and cast spells (i.e arx fatalis style)

As for wii I have nothing against consoles (I actually i have ps2) but i have only so much room for them and wii's games simply dont seem that interesting.

Does the wii controls have vibrators? Shooting with weapons the controls could shake lil bit like real weapons forcing you to adjust your aim accordingly.

Jevhaddah -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/1/2006 1:27:39 AM)

I can imagine the carnage in my house if I bought a Wii, sigh.

That waggle stick doohicky is positivly dangerous.

My twin girls, waving them about, spooking the cats, smashing all the family heirlooms....

Mmmmm, might be worth it to get rid of that Horrible china fish that aunt Sadie gaves us...shudder [:D]

Cheers

Jev

Veldor -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/1/2006 3:17:59 AM)

Does anyone remember the P5 Glove that came out originally for "Black and White"? It was essentially a motion capture device. Spells in the game were cast my moving your mouse to make certain symbols for certain spells, the accuracy of your movement affected the strenght of the spell and/or whether it fizzled outright or even ended up casting the wrong spell.

The P5 Glove moved this functionality off the mouse and onto your hand. So you moved your hand in the air to cast the spells. For D&D types it was a dream come true.

This was years ago on the PC.. The P5 Glove was later adapted for other games and functions as well.

So honestly the whole Wii thing doesn't even seem all that new to me. I did not even see that sort of usage for spell casting in Zelda. Maybe it is there and if so.. Its one thing that MIGHT attract me a little more to the game.

Its not that the graphics need to be better on the Wii, they just have gone for that sort of kiddie cartoon style with everything and I personally hate that look and feel. Its too cutesy & campy. So there is just no reason left.. Id rather get the new P5 Glove or wait till similar is available for the 360.

The P5 Glove in a way is already superior to what the Wii offers.. here are some videos..

http://www.cwonline.com/video/teaser_hi.mov
http://www.cwonline.com/video/demo_hi.mov

[image]local://upfiles/8250/C762310CD754480888DFC9019AB44545.jpg[/image]

Marc von Martial -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/1/2006 1:15:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veldor

The P5 Glove in a way is already superior to what the Wii offers.. here are some videos..

http://www.cwonline.com/video/teaser_hi.mov
http://www.cwonline.com/video/demo_hi.mov

Actually, what they show in the teaser and demo does not look superior to me. The device looks "cooler" but that's it.

Charles2222 -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/1/2006 2:41:48 PM)

I have a good gauge on my limitations. I know that when I start jogging after being absent a long time, to take it easy at first, and I mean easy. Those wrist motions, mainly, are going to flip some people out. People don't normally use their wrists that much, and I know. Take for example this exact moment, my right wrist is hurting somewhat. The reason is that not only are things as I said earlier, but it's also the end of the day at work. If I were at home I would be taking just plain ol' change of scenery breaks so that's probably enough at this point in my life where it wouldn't affect me like this at home, but at work, there's nothing in this place but these computers in the middle of the night. In tonight's case it's even worse because I am by myself.

You see, it's like this Les. We heroes out here put our wrists on the line so you fraidy-cats will know what will happen to you in aonther 10-20 years. In fact, I have a hero clause with my employment terms here [;)].

BTW, they call it a Wii because Wii is the sound your wrist will make after using it so long (tissue inflammation). You know, like the sound a balloon makes when you rub one? Wii, that's what will happen to your wrist. [:-] I chose that emoticon for a reason. You see how cross that fellow is? That's you looking at yourself in the mirror after you didn't take ol' C22's advice. It's also the mascot emoticon for the Wii as you better get used to using that ol' wrist [:D]

[:-][:-][:-] 1-2-3 Do the Wii [:-][:-][:-]

Veldor -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/2/2006 2:48:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

Actually, what they show in the teaser and demo does not look superior to me. The device looks "cooler" but that's it.

Perhaps, but then again with the P5 you move your index finger in a trigger pressing motion and it will register since it individually tracks all finger motion.. The Wii, too my knowledge, cannot track individual finger movement/bending etc.

That sounds pretty superior to me, at least in that way. Both devices suffer from the issue of being of only moderate aid if the actual game developer doesn't specifically consider the input device when developing the game. Right now most Wii games seem to make reasonable or better use of the motion controllers, but im not so sure some of the more "ported" games are going to nor every Wii game certainly.

And the P5 Glove could eventually be used for graphics development and/or other uses as the History Channel video suggested. I'm not aware of it currently being used for anything other than gaming though.

Kuokkanen -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/4/2006 10:01:44 AM)

I remember reading news where it says that Wii can run games of old Nintendos and maybe Game Cube. Has anyone tried Perfect Dark or something with Wii yet?

Marc von Martial -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/4/2006 12:11:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

I remember reading news where it says that Wii can run games of old Nintendos and maybe Game Cube. Has anyone tried Perfect Dark or something with Wii yet?

It's an official feature to run old games on the Wii.

BlackVoid -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/5/2006 4:42:23 PM)

I dislike consoles in general, but I am thinking about getting a Wii. It would be nice to have a golf match in front of the TV instead of watching some silly series. I also spend a lot of time in front of the computer and getting some exercise along with some entertainment sounds pretty good.

Kuokkanen -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/6/2006 11:06:15 AM)

quote:

quote:

So have you tried any older games yet? How old games are supported, and what consoles (Game Boy?)?

Marc von Martial -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/6/2006 11:19:33 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

So have you tried any older games yet? How old games are supported, and what consoles (Game Boy?)?

No, the Wii is not out here in Germany yet. I think they start selling it today.
All info I have is from reviews and the products website.

JeF -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/6/2006 2:15:57 PM)

quote:

quote:

As far as I know, hardware is highly shared between GC and Wii.
You can use the traditionnal GC Controllers and use existing memory cards.

See this review.

JeF.

Marauders -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/7/2006 10:10:32 AM)

There already is a Star Wars lightsaber game out there that does this.

Expect it to become part of Xbox and Playstation with add-on controllers if it becomes the new thing.

Marc von Martial -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/7/2006 10:19:04 AM)

I preorderd one yesterday, they are shipping in Europe on the 8th [:D] (hopefully.

ravinhood -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/7/2006 2:25:38 PM)

You ordered a Wii Marc?

Marc von Martial -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/7/2006 2:38:56 PM)

Yes, what else [;)]

UndercoverNotChickenSalad -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/7/2006 8:39:46 PM)

People don't normally use their wrists that much, and I know.

I bet SLAAKMAN does.  He aint been laid in over 3 years.

Marauders -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/8/2006 3:08:13 AM)

I like the Playstation 3.

I'm not going to play games on it; I just want the Blue Ray player subsidized by gamers. [:D]

ravinhood -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/8/2006 3:25:49 PM)

quote:

Yes, what else [;)]

I just didn't think we'd ever agree on anything thas all. ;)

Marc von Martial -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/8/2006 4:02:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

quote:

Yes, what else [;)]

I just didn't think we'd ever agree on anything thas all. ;)

Yes, it scares me too.

ravinhood -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/9/2006 4:56:42 AM)

I still don't like Vista though . >:)~

Oleg Mastruko -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/9/2006 2:33:06 PM)

I had opportunity to try Wii for couple minutes in the office (I work as editor in computing magazine publishing company so we get interesting stuff to test from time to time + tons of boring stuff of course). I have to say I don't remember when any piece of hardware we tested managed to get so many people from my office + innocent bystanders crowded in the lab room wanting to try it out. Even the hardcore non gamers got interested and started thinking about buying one.

In retrospect, getting non gamers interested is probably the biggest success for Wii. But I don't think this is something for us here, demanding hardcore gamers as we are. 

The controls are novel and fun, they require space though. Controls are also very imprecise. Basically they are fun to wield thru the air but compared to any other control I know they are piece of crap. Playing tennis or bowling from the Wii sports pack it seemed to me it does not really matter where or how you "hit the ball" the game will do it's thing as it sees fit, pretty randomly. I felt I have very little control (compared with what I can achieve with mouse, keyboard, gamepad or pretty much anything else)

In the long run, speaking not as "casual gamer" or someone who never played games before, but as hardcore gamer I am, I don't think this toy would have staying power for us demanding veterans. Striking the air while watching ugly drawn kiddy-ish sprites on the TV do their thing (pretty much unrelated to your air-striking) could get boring pretty fast for anyone who takes his gaming seriously. Besides, the game lineup for this toy is very underwhelming. I think people deciding to buy this instead of X360 or PS3 would regret it after couple weeks. Sure I'd love to have one, but I'd never buy it, I'd love to get it as "corporate xmas gift" or something LOL

Oleg Mastruko -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/9/2006 2:49:01 PM)

This should give you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OMCwwTjvuM

I expect Chicken Salad to comment on the physical exercise aspect of this video [:D] Seems like fun way for weight obsessed girls (meaning: all of them) to lose some pounds.

But as gaming pros will notice - there is absolutely no subtlety or nuance to this: no matter how you strike the air in front of you, game will work the same. What is important is that you move the controls and you do that vigorously - how you move them is not important at all (you might as well be in another room staring at the wall)

Kuokkanen -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/12/2006 12:09:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

What is important is that you move the controls and you do that vigorously - how you move them is not important at all (you might as well be in another room staring at the wall)

Did you try out how games of previous consoles work on Wii? And how did that move the controls and vigorously work with Golden Eye or Perfect Dark?

Oleg Mastruko -> RE: Wow I'm Impressed with Wii (12/12/2006 1:41:22 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

What is important is that you move the controls and you do that vigorously - how you move them is not important at all (you might as well be in another room staring at the wall)

Did you try out how games of previous consoles work on Wii? And how did that move the controls and vigorously work with Golden Eye or Perfect Dark?

No I didn't, we tried only couple of games that come bundled with the console (at least that is my understanding, that you get Wii sports bundled with the console?).

Somewhat suited for sports games, Wii controls are notoriously un-suited for FPS games, as many reviews around the net already show. Yesterday I read a nicely and descriptively written review for CoD3 on Wii, which concludes game is nigh on unplayable on Wii with it's controls being totally inappropriate for FPS games (very imprecise and too random). I can't find the URL to the said review though [>:]

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI