How I got Brockleigh's CFL Roster into my game database... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Public Beta Forum

brb321 -> How I got Brockleigh's CFL Roster into my game database... (12/8/2006 8:12:44 PM)

Hey everyone. I have been successful on taking Brockleigh's CFL Roster, which is in the unsorted files at FBMAX.com, and puting them into my own database. I used Access 2000 and Excel for this task. I would recommend saving a copy of your excisting database somewhere else before you try this.

- The first thing I did was reset the league I wanted to use. I then ran the draft and training camp. The game will fill the rosters with it's tempoary players.

- After that, go into your database, open the 'players' database and get the LeagueID #. Write this down. If you have run the draft and training camp, you can delete all the players in the database by 'select all records' in 'Edit', and then 'delete all records' in 'Edit'. The database saves automatically, so you can close. Next, go into the 'Teams' database. I would recommend printing this so you can have the team IDs if you need them.

- Next I opened Brockleigh's CLF database and opened it Access. I opened the 'Players' database, hit 'select all records' in ''edit', and then 'copy' in 'edit'. Now you can delete this database by using the same directions in step 2.

- Open up a new worksheet in Excel. Paste the database into Excel. Here you can make the appropriate changes, like LeagueID, and to match up your TeamID 3's with the TeamID of your players. It is easier in Excel because you can make changes to several entries at a time by using the copy and paste feature in Excel. When you are complete, 'copy' the entire database.

- Go back to your original database, open the'players' database, and 'paste' it in.

- Open MF, go to league Games, and open your League. Check to see if your changes to effect. Good luck.

Let me know if you need help. Thanks to Brockleigh for the CFL Roster

Brockleigh -> RE: How I got Brockleigh's CFL Roster into my game database... (12/10/2006 7:23:45 AM)

Excellent, brb321. Good to see that the Rosters are actually useful.

Quick question to the floor: I've ditched MSOffice for OpenOffice. I've read somewhere that I might not be able to do what brb321 has described above with OpenOffice because it's missing a key or something. Is this true? Is there another tool I can use outside of Access to utilize the database?

David Winter -> RE: How I got Brockleigh's CFL Roster into my game database... (12/10/2006 8:35:59 AM)

quote:

- The first thing I did was reset the league I wanted to use. I then ran the draft and training camp. The game will fill the rosters with it's tempoary players.

- After that, go into your database, open the 'players' database and get the LeagueID #. Write this down. If you have run the draft and training camp, you can delete all the players in the database by 'select all records' in 'Edit', and then 'delete all records' in 'Edit'. The database saves automatically, so you can close. Next, go into the 'Teams' database. I would recommend printing this so you can have the team IDs if you need them.

I really don't think this is a good idea.

The reason being is that the depth charts are not being updated. The computer assigns depth charts during training camp with the players it thinks are on the roster. The training camp also creates depth chart 'slots' (1st string, 2nd string, etc..) Even if it's a human controlled team, the computer will take a first crack at the depth charts so there is at least something there.

If you run a training camp, then import a bunch of different players the depth charts are no longer synced up. When you go into a quick sim game, it can't load the players the depth charts are telling it to load.

I believe something like this is what is causing the QuickSimGoKickoff crash reported in another thread.

I've looked at adding some additional code so that the computer will double check whether or not a player on the depth chart is actually in the roster, but that begins to slow down the works. If it gets too bad for speed, I'll have to remove that functionality.

If you can find a way to also import the depth charts, that would help.

brb321 -> RE: How I got Brockleigh's CFL Roster into my game database... (12/10/2006 3:10:06 PM)

quote:

If you can find a way to also import the depth charts, that would help.

That's a good idea. I will give it a try and see what happens...

garysorrell -> RE: How I got Brockleigh's CFL Roster into my game database... (12/10/2006 3:59:27 PM)

I also use these rosters, but all I did was drop the mdb file into the maxfb folder, create the Teams_CFL folder for the team folders and then had to change playbooks since I didnt download the ones the teams were already using.
It imported and works fine....Alouettes have already beaten the riders twice :-)

marcntx -> RE: How I got Brockleigh's CFL Roster into my game database... (12/10/2006 4:07:31 PM)

To get a roster file to work, don't you just need to upload the LGE database file and then the TEAMS folder that contain the graphics?  I don't understand why the teams were exported, unless the goal is to add the teams to an existing league.   

MjH -> RE: How I got Brockleigh's CFL Roster into my game database... (12/10/2006 4:09:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brockleigh
Quick question to the floor: I've ditched MSOffice for OpenOffice. I've read somewhere that I might not be able to do what brb321 has described above with OpenOffice because it's missing a key or something. Is this true? Is there another tool I can use outside of Access to utilize the database?

I didn't try the procedure you mentioned, but I was able to access and update the databases using OpenOffice. I put together the instructions for setting up OpenOffice to access MF databases, and they are in the unsorted directory on www.fbmax.com. The file is: MaximuFootballWithOpenOffice.zip.

garysorrell -> RE: How I got Brockleigh's CFL Roster into my game database... (12/10/2006 5:04:21 PM)

marcntx
Thats what I did, in this case, and all seems fine. Not sure what all this other stuff is about.

Deltadog -> RE: How I got Brockleigh's CFL Roster into my game database... (12/10/2006 6:17:23 PM)

In this case, you could just use Brockleigh's leage, but this procedure is valuable if you have the players in another database or perhaps on a spreadsheet and not in the league database. (that is if we can come up with a way to import the depth charts also) Maybe when the auto depth chart build option comes back, this will not be an issue.

brb321 -> RE: How I got Brockleigh's CFL Roster into my game database... (12/10/2006 7:29:06 PM)

I guess the best reason I did all this work was to get the actual CFL players, which I did not have. There appears to be other methods that work okay, but I was able to fix my depth chart problem until the new patch comes out...

Brockleigh -> RE: How I got Brockleigh's CFL Roster into my game database... (12/10/2006 10:34:48 PM)

I've tried the MaximumFootballWithOpenOffice document, and I run into problems right off the hop:

The ODBC Data Sources Administrator isn't listing any data sources to select.

For me, I'd have to alter the League ID number in the importing file as I'm cureently running two CFL Leagues, one that I'll be keeping completely user controlled so I can update the league Rosters as the real teams do in real life, and the second one that will be my "career" league that I'll be doing most of the fooling around with.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI