How To Store (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865

LewFisher -> How To Store (12/16/2006 10:45:30 PM)

I downloaded FoF but the zipped folder is 738MB and will not go on a CD-R disk and a CD/RW disk also will only hold 700MB. Do I need to store it on a DVD disk?[:(]

Airborne82nd -> RE: How To Store (12/16/2006 10:56:06 PM)

I think that's the general concensus.  As of yet, I have been unsuccessful backing it up.  I have a DVD drive, but it will not read either of the 2 types of disks I bought--DVD+R and DVD-R.

cambronne -> RE: How To Store (12/16/2006 11:31:34 PM)

I had the same problem and went and bought a flash drive for $20.
I strongly recommend it.

LewFisher -> RE: How To Store (12/16/2006 11:56:54 PM)

Thanks, so far for the tips. However, when I purchased FoF per download I never figured this would be such a problem. I don't mind payimg for a DVD disk (if that works) but it is a but much to have to pay $20 for a flah drive! Perhaps Matrix has a solution (like sending us a disk when available).[&:]

captskillet -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 12:04:58 AM)

If your comp has a memory card reader it fits nicely on a 1GB SD card!

LewFisher -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 12:30:42 AM)

The point is why should I (or anyone ) have to deal with DVD, flash disks or such just to store the game ? If I would have know this was going to be a problem, I would have waited for the disk version to come out[:(]

Furthermore, it would have been nice if Martix would have warned us of the situation with potential storage problem.[:(]

jsaurman -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 12:34:51 AM)

Well, I would recommend using any good zip utility to split it into a 700 meg zip file, plus a second disk with the remainder.   WinZip or any other similar program should be able to handle splitting it up...

There are also online "file storage" websites that give you space to store large files.

You could also split it into parts and email it to yourself. Most email programs won't handle 738 megs, but they might handle it in 20 meg chunks which would equal 37 seperate emails. You would need a large mailbox to hold it though. I know this one is not very practical, but I'm just saying there are plenty of options.

JIM

Hertston -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 1:06:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LewFisher

The point is why should I (or anyone ) have to deal with DVD, flash disks or such just to store the game ?

For much the same reason that we started using CD-ROMs and not floppies. Things move on, and the amount of data gets bigger. Most retail releases are on DVDs these days, and DVD burners are standard on new PCs.

quote:

Furthermore, it would have been nice if Martix would have warned us of the situation with potential storage problem.[:(]

While not giving a 'warning' as such, the file size is listed in the download stats that you can see before ordering. I know this sort of thing is annoying, but you'll need a DVD burner sooner rather than later, so might as well get one now.

LewFisher -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 1:29:43 AM)

While not giving a 'warning' as such, the file size is listed in the download stats that you can see before ordering. Iknow this sort of thing is annoying, but you'll need a DVD burner sooner rather than later, so might as well get one now.

Actually, I own a flash drive and my computer has a DVD burner. On one thread, it says one guy has a DVD drive but is unable to transfer the date. Did you have that problem?

As far as the "checking the download data" true, but that is like reading the fine print in a legal document. I still feel Matrix know that it would not fit on a CD/R disk and they could have been clear about the status of the download.

Crimguy -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 1:49:19 AM)

Two possible solutions for those without a DVD burner.

1)  99min cd's.  They do sell 99minute-capacity cd's that, IIRC, hold 800mb.  They're a bit more expensive, and not all CDRW's can utilze them.

2)  Some software allows you to "overburn" cd's. Is capable with any media with varying success.

Connecticut14th -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 2:38:58 AM)

its still kinda BS, as after paying 49.99 to get the game, my CD-R's dont do the trick, and its advised i buy a Zip Drive to save the copy of the game, it's robbery, any veteran can find a friend in Korea to send a game CD for free, but the Matrix outlook is  "buy better equiptment"

LewFisher -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 3:05:47 AM)

Yeah, that's my point. I would not have minded if Matrix would added a disclamer stating " will need a DVD drive, flash drive, or use special Zip utilities to save this game" to hard media. Some guys don't own or can afford to upgrade to a DVD drive or flash drive.  I guess one could, as earlier stated, rezip the game into two zip files, but what a hassle just to save a game.[8|]

Any official take on this from Matrix?

Erik Rutins -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 5:39:51 AM)

Hi guys,

No one at Matrix is saying "buy a flash drive", that's advice from other gamers above. Actually, we already posted earlier and said that we heard this and would see if there was a way we could split the installer so that those without the ability to burn such a large file could get it in two parts. If you also look at some of the older threads, folks have posted info on some utilities that allow you to split the file yourself before burning it to two discs.

Regards,

- Erik

AU Tiger_MatrixForum -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 6:51:52 AM)

If anybody can post a link to one of those old posts I would appreciate it. I did a few searches and came up dry.

jsaurman -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 8:08:33 AM)

Seriously gentlemen, we are all grown adults here.  Matrix shouldn't have to hold your hand on this.  It clearly states 738 megs as the size.   You didn't read it.   Now suck it up and deal with your mistake instead of whining like spoiled children.  Sorry to be harsh, but this shouldn't be an issue.  Spend the extra ten minutes, split it into two zip files, burn it onto two CD's and be done with it.  The time you spend here complaining, is time you could have spent playing the game.   End of thread.

AU Tiger_MatrixForum -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 8:43:06 AM)

For those us children who don't know how to split the file, could you please enlighten us? I would be delighted to learn how.

jsaurman -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 1:16:02 PM)

I'd be happy to enlighten you.  All you had to do was ask.
Go to download.com, type in the word "zip" in the search box then hit enter.   Then choose "Free" from the license type and hit the "Filter" button.
Now choose whichever program seems to fit your needs, I look at the number of downloads and the rating stars to help me make my decision.
I think IZArc is a good bet.  Download it and install it. 
Now open the program, click on the "Tools" menu, then choose the option "Create Multi-Volume Set", now it will ask you for the name of the file you want to split, which in my case is "ForgeofFreedom-setuprelease-v121DR.zip" and it will ask you what you want to name the new split file.  I entered "Forge of Freedom Spanned".   Make sure you indicate the size you want the chunks, change that box to say 700 mb.
Then push "OK" and it will just split the file into two new chunks.  Mine came out named "Forge of Freedom Spanned.z01" which was 700 mb, and "Forge of Freedom Spanned" at 38 mb.   I can now burn them to CD, and I'll also burn the IZArc file to the second CD, so I have the tool needed to reconstruct them back into one file if ever needed.
Very simple, and only took me about 15 minutes total, even though I had never used IZArc before.   Once you have done this sort of thing with one program, they all are pretty much the same.
Hope this helps everyone.   Any questions?  Ask away.

JudgeDredd -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 3:44:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jsaurman

Seriously gentlemen, we are all grown adults here. Matrix shouldn't have to hold your hand on this. It clearly states 738 megs as the size. You didn't read it. Now suck it up and deal with your mistake instead of whining like spoiled children. Sorry to be harsh, but this shouldn't be an issue. Spend the extra ten minutes, split it into two zip files, burn it onto two CD's and be done with it. The time you spend here complaining, is time you could have spent playing the game. End of thread.

I completely agree with this whole heartedly. Not to people who cannot burn to a DVD, but to the whining part.

Seriously. I presume people buying a game can read. Then it should be clear that the file they are going to download is over the "standard" CD size. And I say "standard" because CDs can go to 800MB. Therefore what's the issue.

Secondly, as Erik has stated, they already posted that they would look into the issue of providing a two part install file (doing more than they need to, in my books).

Thirdly, they (again, Matrix) have already stated on these boards that anyone who has the download version can upgrade to the boxed version with manual in the near future, for this one time only...again, more than they need to.

As for the other "poster" who allegdely had a problem writing the file to DVD. That is his own doing or his systems fault. There is no problem writing 800MB of data to a DVD drive...it just doesn't happen.

Seems to me, there is simply no pleasing some people, or some people simply cannot read.

As jsaurman said, apologies to the poster if this seems harsh, but it seems to me Matrix are going above and beyond their duty on this release.

Anyway...at least you got the game...so keep smiling and enjoy the game...that's what it's all about after all.

Crimguy -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 4:32:50 PM)

I'll renew my suggestion to go spend $30 on a stack of 800mb cd's (cheaper if you want < 50 of them).  They're great to have.  Particularly if you want to make a cd and don't have enough room in a standard 700mb cd for all the songs you want.

TheHellPatrol -> RE: How To Store (12/17/2006 11:50:39 PM)

[:D]Just bought this for me as an early Xmas gift, thanks to whoever brought up the previously unknown (to me) word: "flashdrive"

[image]local://upfiles/12630/587E68A14C164EC1A994110338E74D23.jpg[/image]

nmleague -> RE: How To Store (12/18/2006 12:01:42 AM)

Cant remember what it is called by I have a drive by Seagate that is like a thumb flash drive, but it is a disk about 2 1/2" in diameter.  It holds about 5.5 gig and if I recall cost in the $60 dollar range.   You turn it slightly and a USB connector comes free that you just plug into any USB port and the drive just hangs there.

LewFisher -> RE: How To Store (12/18/2006 2:56:46 AM)

Well, I seemed to provoke more of a response that I had anticipated. Let me sum up my thoughts.

!. I was not aware there were 800MB CD/R disks (I had called a couple of places and all they carry are the 700MB versions).

2. Thanks for the detailed instructions on how to obtain and use the zip to make multi zip files.

3. I was not aware Matrix will allow us to upgrade to the boxed version (my option) .

4. Lastly, I realize my posts seems abit shrill (considering I do have a DVD burner and a flash drive) but I just assumed there would be a simple way to store without having new technology. I learned there was.

TheHellPatrol -> RE: How To Store (12/18/2006 3:01:42 AM)

Well, i learned something too: not all 800MG discs may work with your drive, something different than a 700MG apparently? I decided to not bother ordering them special, and as i only have a CD burner i opted for the "flashdrive".

AU Tiger_MatrixForum -> RE: How To Store (12/18/2006 3:37:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jsaurman

I'd be happy to enlighten you. All you had to do was ask.
Go to download.com, type in the word "zip" in the search box then hit enter. Then choose "Free" from the license type and hit the "Filter" button.
Now choose whichever program seems to fit your needs, I look at the number of downloads and the rating stars to help me make my decision.
I think IZArc is a good bet. Download it and install it.
Now open the program, click on the "Tools" menu, then choose the option "Create Multi-Volume Set", now it will ask you for the name of the file you want to split, which in my case is "ForgeofFreedom-setuprelease-v121DR.zip" and it will ask you what you want to name the new split file. I entered "Forge of Freedom Spanned". Make sure you indicate the size you want the chunks, change that box to say 700 mb.
Then push "OK" and it will just split the file into two new chunks. Mine came out named "Forge of Freedom Spanned.z01" which was 700 mb, and "Forge of Freedom Spanned" at 38 mb. I can now burn them to CD, and I'll also burn the IZArc file to the second CD, so I have the tool needed to reconstruct them back into one file if ever needed.
Very simple, and only took me about 15 minutes total, even though I had never used IZArc before. Once you have done this sort of thing with one program, they all are pretty much the same.
Hope this helps everyone. Any questions? Ask away.

Thanks.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI