RE: The Golden Age Draft League (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (3/31/2007 8:56:36 PM)

World Series, game 1, Friday Oct. 4:

[image]local://upfiles/813/85AB7173AC554DDAA4C2C6B490CEB17B.jpg[/image]

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/4/2007 10:54:33 PM)

Game 2, Saturday Oct. 5:

[image]local://upfiles/813/A005AF6AD18B4D3495D7EDB928E53A3E.jpg[/image]

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/4/2007 11:25:23 PM)

Game 3, Monday Oct. 7 (10 innings):

[image]local://upfiles/813/0C22380CE0E041AE888B356BE1920FD0.jpg[/image]

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/5/2007 12:22:37 AM)

Game 4, Tuesday Oct. 8: The Red Sox stay alive and prevent the sweep.

[image]local://upfiles/813/3EB17974D5FE4B10BFBCE3B575211780.jpg[/image]

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/5/2007 1:03:53 AM)

Game 5, Wednesday, Oct. 9: The Sox make it three games to two. Back to Pittsburgh for Game Six on Friday.

[image]local://upfiles/813/DCC2DEBBEB434AE6AA1C9CE68219556E.jpg[/image]

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/5/2007 1:33:00 AM)

Game 6, Oct. 11: Virgil Trucks pitches a complete-game shutout and THE PITTSBURGH PIRATES ARE 1946 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!! [sm=happy0029.gif]

[image]local://upfiles/813/F54A2864073141598F3FA8DF247F95F9.jpg[/image]

Frozen Stiffer -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/5/2007 1:34:10 AM)

Now THAT is what I call a game!

Keep it up, KG!

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/5/2007 1:43:26 AM)

Postscript to the 1946 season: as I expected, Warren Spahn won the NL Cy Young Award , with Johnny Schmitz of the Athletics winning in the AL.

The NL MVP was Ted Williams of the Phillies. The AL MVP was the Athletics' Stan Musial.

What a fantastic start to a career league. Time to celebrate, and then start planning for next season. [sm=00000436.gif]

CBeasley37 -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/5/2007 3:46:18 AM)

Congrats KG !!!

Can't wait to see what kinda numbers Spahn can put up next year.

Good luck in 47'

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/5/2007 4:04:03 AM)

Planning for 1947: the present major-league roster--

[image]local://upfiles/813/64B3AA822904444FB59B3BF73035404E.jpg[/image]

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/5/2007 4:05:16 AM)

The present minor-league roster:

[image]local://upfiles/813/1D1C230EE103422684DA013E14812ACD.jpg[/image]

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/5/2007 4:35:09 AM)

(Thanks for your comments and encouragement, guys. It's appreciated.)

October - December 1946. A short-lived celebration. As GM/ dugout manager of the defending champions, I've really got to start analyzing what the team needs to stay on top in 1947.

The amateur draft will be soon, and I don't have the scouting reports for off-season ratings changes yet.

Some tough decisions are gonna have to be made. A few veterans who helped us in spot roles will have to be let go, and a few younger guys shipped back down to the minors for further seasoning.

I AM thankful that the nucleus of the squad is very young, so weeding out the minors isn't a primary concern.

The thing is, finishing 104-50 makes the expectation level very high, and every move I make will be under the media microscope.

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/5/2007 6:17:26 AM)

A New Season -- 1947

Amateur draft completed, and on the face of it, the Pirates look even stronger than last year. All are right-handers. My picks:

1. 1B Joe Adcock, age 20
2. RP Clem Lambine, age 21
3. C Gil Hodges, age 23
4. RP Frank Smith, age 19
5. SP Carl Scheib, age 20

Labine, Hodges and Smith were immediately placed into the major-league roster. Adcock and Scheib were assigned to AA. Pete Gebrian and Ken Gables were reassigned to AAA. C Don Wheeler and several others were released. So far, I've made no moves in the trade market.

As of now, the starting rotation will be Warren Spahn, Virgil Trucks, Don Newcombe and Early Wynn. Bob Lemon will move to the bullpen. Despite going 20-7 in 1946, he simply gave up too many BBs.

A few changes are expected in the batting lineup. Duke Snider will move to CF full-time and bat 4th, with Enos Slaughter in LF (batting 3rd) and Richie Ashburn in RF, batting in the 8th slot. Gil Hodges will platoon with Yogi Berra at C and in the 5th slot. Red Schoendienst remains in the leadoff spot. 3B George Kell will bat 2nd, and SS Buddy Kerr 6th. 1B Ted Kluszewski is 7th in the order.

Spring training is just around the corner.

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/5/2007 7:22:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CBeasley37

Congrats KG !!!

Can't wait to see what kinda numbers Spahn can put up next year.

Good luck in 47'

Look at Warren's ratings for 1947. His velocity has actually decreased slightly, but in stuff, control and endurance he has improved. He's learning how to pitch, not just throw heat. He's just now entering his prime. Warren was my number one draft pick in '46, and he is definitely a fan favorite in Iron City.

[image]local://upfiles/813/5685FE6DA9AD483BB0B40BE247B1BFC4.jpg[/image]

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/11/2007 5:33:04 AM)

Washington DC, Tuesday April 14, 1947: President Harry Truman threw out the first pitch to Senators' C Walker Cooper, and the season begins.

Unfortunately, the visiting Yankees thrashed the Senators 13-4.

Chicago, April 15: the defending champion Pirates open on a winning note at Wrigley Field, downing the Cubs 4-1. Warren Spahn earned the victory, Woody Abernathy got the save, and Joe Beggs took the loss. Bucs' 3B George Kell went 4 for 4 with 2 RBI.

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/23/2007 7:59:07 AM)

Chicago, April 16: Virgil Trucks carried a shut-out until the bottom of the 9th, but he gave up a run. Nevertheless, he completed the game and the Bucs win 5-1. Virgil gave up 8 hits, walked 3 and struck out 3. Kirby Higbe took the loss.

In the AL , the Browns' Sid Hudson pitched a no-hitter at Sportmans Park against the Tigers. The score was 2-0.

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/24/2007 4:18:48 AM)

A wild one at Wrigley. Don Newcombe gave up 5 runs in 2 innings, knocking him out of the game. The Pirates responded with 1 run in the 6th, 3 in the 7th, and 6 in the 8th. The Cubbies scored 1 in the 7th and 3 in the 8th. The Pirates eked out a 10-9 victory, with Clem Dreisewerd getting the win and Bob Lemon earning a save.

Gil Hodges, in his first start as a Pirate, hit a HR, as did Duke Snider. The Berra/Hodges L/R platoon at C could be a formidable combination. This leaves Dixie Howell in limbo. He wants to be traded, and I'll try to oblige him. He's too talented to be a bench-warmer.

So, after today's games, I called around and decided on a deal with the Giants. Dixie was traded to NY in exchange for 32-year-old LF Ralph Hodgin. He's a good left-handed batter, and will shore up the bench quite well. The Giants' GM was happy with the deal.

Now, I note that ALL of my outfielders are lefties. I need a good right-hander, so my telephone number notebook is kept close at hand.

We open the season by completing the sweep.

Pittsburgh, Friday April 18. In the home opener, Early Wynn gets a complete-game 9-2 win over the Reds. Wynn struck out 3, walked 2 and gave up 6 hits.

April 19. Warren Spahn is having some early-season control problems. He started having trouble in the 6th, so rookie Clem Labine was brought in. Labine promptly gave up 3 runs, and the Pirates lose their first game of the year 8-5. Dizzy Trout got the win and Claude Passeau earned his first save for the Reds.

A bright note for the Pirates is their number-two batter, 25-year-old 3B George Kell. He has hit safely in each of the first five games, and is batting .524 with 3 doubles and 6 RBI. Kell won the Pure Slugger Award for thirdbasemen in 1946.

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/26/2007 8:09:58 AM)

Pittsburgh, April 20. In game 1 of the doubleheader, the Reds win a 12-inning dogfight 4-3. Paul Erickson got the win and Clem Labine took the loss.

In game 2, more extra-inning drama. In the bottom of the 12th, with one out and Red Schoendienst on 2nd, Gil Hodges singles and drives him in. Pirates win 4-3. Mace Brown earns the victory and Eddie Smith takes the loss.

Monday April 21 is an off-day.

St. Louis, April 22. The wind was blowing out to right at Sportsman's Park, and both teams took advantage of it, getting a total of 29 hits, including 3 HR. With the Cardinals leading 3-1 in the top of the 7th, the Pirates exploded with 5 runs. Bob Lemon came in to relieve Early Wynn in the bottom of the 7th, and pitched three strong innings to earn the save for Wynn. The Pirates added 4 more runs in the 9th. Final: Pirates 10, Cardinals 3.

With the Dodgers beating the Phillies, the 6-2 Bucs took 1st place with a half-game lead over the Phils.

St. Louis, April 23. Warren Spahn earned his first CG victory of the season as the Bucs totally dominated the Redbirds 13-2. Howie Pollet took the loss.

Pittsburgh, April 24. The Cubs come to Forbes Field and get shutout 4-0. Virgil Trucks completed the game, allowing 8 hits and 2 walks while striking out 6.

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/28/2007 7:05:21 AM)

Pitt manager KG Erwin: "I keep juggling the lineup as team needs dictate. We have no prima donnas on this club. At present, the batting order is this:"

[image]local://upfiles/813/F8CB8020B4F84F7883F8D04C6A3AB90C.jpg[/image]

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/28/2007 7:35:41 AM)

Pittsburgh, April 25. Don Newcombe got the win and Bob Lemon got the save as they combined to shutout the Cubs 1-0. Enos Slaughter drove in Gorge Kell in the 1st to provide the game's only run.

The defending AL champion Red Sox dropped to 7th place, with a record of 3-8. The Indians are in 1st place at 7-2, leading the Athletics by a half-game.

Cincinnati, April 26. Early Wynn goes 3-0 with a complete game 2-1 victory over the Reds.

Frozen Stiffer -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/28/2007 10:15:25 PM)

It really looks like your decision to move Lemon down to the bullpen has really paid off! Keep up the reporting, KG! Your style makes it feel like it's really happening!

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/29/2007 1:23:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frozen Stiffer

It really looks like your decision to move Lemon down to the bullpen has really paid off! Keep up the reporting, KG! Your style makes it feel like it's really happening!

Thank you kindly. Lemon has 3 saves so far, so the bullpen may be a permanent spot for him. As for Early Wynn, he has completed 2 of 3 starts (2.25 ERA). Virgil Trucks is also starting strongly (2 CG, 1.08 ERA, 14 Ks). The guy who's surprising me is Warren Spahn. He's starting slowly, and has issued 11 walks in 22.1 innings.

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (4/29/2007 6:38:54 PM)

Cincinnati, April 27. Doubleheader Sunday. Spahn pitches a 5-1 complete-game victory in game 1. Warren gave up 6 hits and 1 walk while striking out 4. Ellis Kinder took the loss.

In game 2, Trucks went six innings and earned the victory in a 14-5 rout. Clem Labine finished the game but didn't earn the save as he gave up three runs in the 7th. The Pirates scored 12 runs in the 7th. The 12-2 Bucs extended their winning streak to 8, while the 5-10 Reds have dropped four in a row.

In Chicago, the Cardinals' Howie Pollet no-hit the Cubs in a 6-1 victory.

Monday is an off-day. The Pirates next travel to Philadelphia for a three-game series against the 2nd place Phils.

The Pirates also filled the need for a right-handed OF by trading rookie RP Frank Smith to the Yankees for CF Johnny Groth. Groth will platoon with Duke Snider and bat 5th against lefties.

Philadelphia, Tuesday April 29. Don Newcombe defeats Joe Dobson and the Pirates win 6-2. Enos Slaughter goes 2 for 3 with 3 RBI and brings his average up to .404.

April 30. Early Wynn goes to 4-0 with a complete-game 5-1 victory over Larry Jansen and the Phillies. Early allowed 9 hits and gave up 1 walk while striking out 4.

April ends with a 10-game winning streak for the Pirates (14-2) and leading the Cardinals by 4 games. The Dodgers and Phillies are four-and-a-half behind. The Cubs had the worst record at 4-11.

In the AL, Cleveland (10-4) leads the Yankees by 1, with the Browns 2 games back. The 1946 champion Red Sox are 6-10, and tied for 6th place with the Tigers and White Sox.

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (5/2/2007 2:15:52 AM)

Quote from Pirates manager KG Erwin, taken from an interview with Pittsburgh radio broadcaster "Rosey" Roswell : "Our starting pitching is the class of the league, in my opinion," and, adding with a wink and a smile, "I've had to break up a few card games in the bullpen. Collectively, these guys [Spahn, Wynn, Trucks and Newcombe] have completed 7 of their 16 starts so far. With luck, they will all stay healthy. Fortunately, I still have Bob [Lemon] as a proven 5th starter, if I need him."

Asked about promising minor-league prospects, Erwin said: "We've got a young catcher who's tearing up AA with his bat. His name is Toby Atwell. He's hitting .486, and minor-league director Roy Hobbs expects good things from him. We've got a couple of pretty good-looking pitchers in the farm system, too. The problem is, we have nowhere to put them right now, as our lineup is pretty solid."

Addendum: after this conversation, KG, in his GM role, traded 38-year-old RP Mace Brown to the Reds in exchange for 18-year-old pitching prospect Chuck Stobbs, who was assigned to A-level ball. Also, 23-year-old P Ted Gray was released from Class A.

Pete Gebrian was called up from AAA to take Brown's slot in the bullpen, and 18-year-old LHP Mickey McDermott was signed to a Class A minor-league contract.

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (5/2/2007 6:25:58 AM)

Philadelphia, May 1. Warren Spahn had a 5-0 shutout going into the 8th, but he lost steam and gave up 2 runs. Bob Lemon preserved the win and earned his 4th save. Warren struck out 9, and gave up 6 hits and 2 walks. 1 of the runs charged to him was unearned as George Kell committed a rare error.

The Pirates win their 11th straight victory 5-2.

New York, May 2. The Giants end the Pirates' win streak with a 5-3 victory. Bob Savage got the win, and Bob Lemon took the loss. Gil Hodges homered for the Bucs, and Jorgensen, Culberson and Boone each got HRs for the Giants.

New York, May 3. Dave Koslo earned the victory as the Giants win again, 5-2. Don Newcombe took the loss.

Brooklyn, May 4. The Dodgers defeated the Bucs 4-3 in 14 innings. Luis Aloma got the victory, Bob Lemon the loss.

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (5/4/2007 1:46:09 AM)

(Quick game set-up note: I'm using a different pic for Fenway now. The one I chose for 1946 was totally anachronistic, as I realized when posting the WS game results. That big-screen scoreboard display and modern skyline was obviously out of place. Also, certain team logos changed. As much as possible, I'm using historical jersey logos. Yeah, maybe it's a bit obsessive-compulsive, but I want everything to look appropriate for the times. Here's what Fenway should've looked like: )

[image]local://upfiles/813/F14E6511BA7548FBAC419D6D6FE44424.jpg[/image]

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (5/4/2007 2:55:39 AM)

Brooklyn, Monday May 5. Warren Spahn (now 5-0, 1.49 ERA) pitches a complete-game 3-hit shutout of the Dodgers. The final was 6-0. Duke Snider hit a HR. Bob Muncrief (0-3) took the loss.

Boston, May 6. The boys from Beantown refused to be intimidated by the big bad Bucs, and win it 5-4. Charly Schanz got the win, and Carl Erskine earned the save. Virgil Trucks took the loss.

Boston, Wednesday May 7. Don Newcombe triumphed over Johnny Vander Meer and pitched a 4-hit 1-0 CG shutout. Newcombe walked 3 and struck out 2. The key play occurred in the bottom of the 9th, when, with 1 one out, Billy Cox tripled. Johnny Mize hit a deep fly to left, but Enos Slaughter threw out Cox at the plate. That was the game-saving play. Sid Gordon flew out to right to end the game.

Boston, May 8. Red Schoendienst and Richie Ashburn get a day off, being spelled respectively by Eddie Stanky and Johnny Barrett. Early Wynn and Clem Labine combine to again shutout the Braves 6-0. Wynn got the victory, and Labine pitched 3 effective innings to earn his first save.

The Bucs have a rare Friday off-day, as we travel back to Pittsburgh.

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (5/10/2007 2:29:29 AM)

Starting on Saturday May 10 we have a ten-day homestand.

Pittsburgh, May 10. In a battle of southpaws, Spahn went the distance, defeating the Cardinals and Bobby Shantz 3-1. Warren threw 95 pitches, 70 of them strikes, and ended up with 4 SO and 2 BB while allowing 6 hits. The Redbirds committed two fielding errors. The victory made Spahn 6-0, with a 1.41 ERA.

May 11. Sunday double-header . Trucks gets the win and Lemon gets the save as the Pirates take the first game against the Cardinals 3-1. Ted Kluszewski also hit his first HR of the year.

In Game 2, Newcombe lasted 5 innings, but the Pirates bullpen blew up, allowing 8 walks, and the Cardinals win 4-3. Bob Lemon took the loss, and Monte Kennedy earned the victory.

Monday was an off-day.

Tuesday, May 13. The Phillies win it in the 10th. Clem Labine gave up the winning run, and Joe Hatten got the victory. Final: 4-3.

Wednesday, May 14. This one had its share of drama. Warren Spahn cruised into the 9th, but after 130 pitches, he ran out of steam and put two runners on base with one out and the Pirates leading the Phillies 2-1. Lemon came in to save it, but he walked the bases loaded. Clyde Kluttz hit a fly out to right, and Joe Garagiola attempted to score. Rifle-armed Richie Ashburn gunned the ball to Yogi Berra and Garagiola was out at the plate. A beautiful defensive play to preserve Spahn's 7th victory and Lemon's 6th save.

In the AL, the Yankees beat the Browns 6-5. The New Yorkers have now won four straight and move to within a half-game of the first-place Indians.

The Pirates (21-8) now lead the Dodgers by 3 games, and it just so happens that the Brooklynites next come to Forbes Field for a 3-game series.

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (5/12/2007 6:28:30 AM)

Pittsburgh, Thursday May 15. The Dodgers pull within two games of the Pirates with a 3-1 win. Dick Fowler got the win and Bob Muncrief earned a save. Virgil Trucks (4 -2, 2.82) took the loss.

Friday May 16: This one went to 11 innings. George Kell was the hero of the game, as with 2 out and Ashburn on second, Kell singled and brought in the winning run. Pirates win it 6-5. Ken Gables got the victory, and Bob Muncrief took the loss.

In the AL, the Indians drop their 5th straight, giving the Yankees a 1 game lead.

Saturday, May 17. The Pirates pull another rabbit of the hat, as in the bottom of the 9th, with one out and runners at the corners, Enos Slaughter drove in Red Schoendienst on a hit & run play. Woody Abernathy, in relief of Early Wynn, was awarded the victory. Lefty Hoerst took the loss. Bucs win 4-3, and now lead the Dodgers by four games.

KG Erwin -> RE: The Golden Age Draft League (5/13/2007 12:31:25 AM)

Pittsburgh, Sunday May 18. Double-header against the 4th place Giants.

Private journal of Pirates manager KG Erwin: " I keep tweaking the lineup, trying to come up with a perfect combination. The team has changed. Yogi Berra is in a slump --don't know what his problem is. The team leaders are Slaughter and Schoendienst. The Dodgers, Giants & Phillies have all gotten better, so for us to repeat as champions will end up being a dogfight."

Game 1 went to 10 innings, but the Pirates win it 5-4 as they loaded up the bases and Richie Ashburn doubled to bring in George Kell for the winning run. Clem Labine earned the victory, and Jack Kramer took the loss.

In game 2, Bob Lemon started his first game of the season, but Ken Gables earned the shutout victory and Clem Dreisewerd the save as the Bucs win it 1-0. The Pirates are now 25-9 and hold a 5 game lead over the Dodgers.

Monday is an off-day.

Tuesday, May 20. The Braves come to town for a single game, and the Pirates win 4-3 in 11 innings. With one out, Richie Ashburn successfully pulled off the hit & run, and Buddy Kerr scored the winning run. Bob Lemon got the victory, and Ken Johnson took the loss.

Wednesday is a travel day, as the Bucs head to St. Louis for a 4-game series.

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI