Is this game for me? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

Brockleigh -> Is this game for me? (12/20/2006 5:24:32 AM)

... and I'm sure everyone is gonna say "Yeah, yeah!" but here goes.

I'm a regular on the Maximum Football forum, and have absolutely loved that game so far. So much so that my wife is not too happy with the developer right now.

What I love about it is the ability to absolutely control every last aspect of the rules the playcalling, the set-up of the teams, the 3rd party support from members of the MaxFB community, everything. Football is my first love, I know both the Canadian and American games inside and out, and this game quenched my thirst for all things football.

I also like baseball quite a bit (I stop short of saying love because I have a hard time enjoying the sport as it is with the WAY over-paid billionaires that populate the sport), and am looking for a baseball game that can do for me what Maximum Football has done for my gridiron hunger.

Most of my baseball gaming experience has been MLB games on the PS2, and I quickly become bored of them. The one that I enjoyed the most was Hardball 5 for the Playstation One. Although it was flawed in many ways, having the old school teams in it made it very enjoyable. That, and something about having ability to control various aspects of the game without the game depending on controlling those aspects really appealed to me, and I'm still kicking myself about selling that game.

I've read a few posts on this forum and I think this game might be what I'm looking for. Certainly puresimmer actively improves the game the same way David Winter does for MaxFB, and that's a huge plus, but outsides of that:

What are the main pluses and minuses of the game (be honest)?
Is there the capability of 3rd party support (like users creating and distributing custom uniforms, rosters, etc.) and if so, how well supported is the game?
Can I adjust my own level of involment in the game's process (I'm not looking for a game that requires me to micro-manage every facet, but still I'd like the option)?
Is there a website I can check out outside of Matrix, as the Matrix PureSim homepage is a little bare-bones?
... and of course anything else anyone wants to raise.

Thanks, guys, and I look forward to your response.

KG Erwin -> RE: Is this game for me? (12/20/2006 6:14:19 AM)

Where do I start? The customability of this game is nothing short of amazing. Let me give you a personal example. I wanted to recreate MLB baseball in the post-war era from 1946-60, with the real ballparks and the real players. I have it set up. For most of these guys, I can also see their faces when they are batting/pitching. If I wanna be there, I can be there, hearing the crowds, and even following the path of the ball when it's hit.

The players themselves do NOT move. Not needed. The play descriptions and following the ball is enough. The game physics DO take into account ballpark attributes and weather. This point must NOT be forgotten.

The effects of playing in Forbes Field in April can be much different from Yankee Stadium in October.

However, you can choose to simulate games OR play out games as the manager in the field.

Between the basic Pure Sim setup and player-created additions I can put myself in just about any historical era I want.

Do you want to manage player contracts & buy free agents? Yep, you can do this. Do you prefer the reserve clause-era ? You have that choice. Wanna move teams between seasons? Yep. Want to expand the leagues? Yep. Want to choose between any real players between 1871-2006 , or a completely fictionalized roster? Yep. Choose historical ballparks? Yep.

So, if you're in doubt, play the demo. This gives you a basic feel of the format. After just a short time of playing, it should feel as comfortable as a glove. The community is eager to help, and you may often find the game designer right here to offer tech support.

I have never seen anything like it in any other gaming community. One love. That's the best way I can describe it.

Deltadog -> RE: Is this game for me? (12/20/2006 8:00:25 AM)

This game is text based and not graphics based as it Max Football. The database is pass word protected and therefore is not editable as are the playbook, profiles, and league databases with Max Football. Since it is text based, there are no editable uniforms. Before I started playing puresim I looked for a baseball game like BBpro which was similar to the Fbpro, but the only graphics based baseball games appear to be arcade only. What I like about Max football (besides the fact that it is open to development of plays, uniforms, etc.) is that it can be played CPU vs CPU or CPU vs coaching) Graphics baseball games do not allow this, but text based games do. Other text based baseball game have nothing but text and that I do not like. What sold me on puresim was the ball flight provision.

As KG said try the demo, I think you will like it. Support for this game is as good if not better than Max Football. Both authors listen to player and are intend of creating the best product that they can.

Sandman62 -> RE: Is this game for me? (12/20/2006 3:56:38 PM)

Custom uniforms and faces can be added to the game actually. Here is a uniform template I found on another site and I simply insert a face from the DEMO copy of Facegen. I like to play fictional teams so this works well for me. I do have the templates including hair modules and can make these types of uniforms myself but for my current league I found a set of 16 that looked good and I am using them. This image is 1.5 times bigger than the game uses but I keep it at this size and use if for my own custom write ups about my players and seasons. This game can be whatever you want it to be. A good historical replay with real players, a very good career based historical similator with fictional players or even a fictional universe with real players. I hope this helps.

[image]local://upfiles/21547/07488D873C3D4E72B6960812120B92C0.jpg[/image]

I was looking at creating custom uniforms and logos for fictional game players that requested them but after doing a set and realizing it took about 3 hours to create just the unis and logos (not including any actual players) I realized that it would not be feasible. I may change my mind in the future or simply post the unis, players and logos I create for my own leagues on a site some where....

My advice is just try the DEMO if you can't get into it then just don't buy it - I personally was hooked after the download.

Sandman62 -> RE: Is this game for me? (12/20/2006 4:16:46 PM)

Here is the team logo for the Atlanta Knights:

[image]local://upfiles/21547/FEA229D5B2AE4662B3049117D13DD147.jpg[/image]

Brockleigh -> RE: Is this game for me? (12/20/2006 6:05:50 PM)

Hey folks...

It's good to see this game so ardently supported by it's members.

Quick question before I download the demo: The system requirements say I need Internet Explorer 6.0

I refuse to use any Microsoft program outside of Windows XP, and am currently using the latest version of Mozilla Firefox. Will this be sufficient?

Sandman62 -> RE: Is this game for me? (12/20/2006 6:13:55 PM)

The game uses IE components and technology. You do not need to use IE as your main browser, you just need to have it on your system to use with the game. Most games that use html technology will require that IE be on your system, even though it is not used as a browser per se. If you have window xp on your system and have not removed IE then the game will work fine. I actually use FIREFOX as my default browser while on the net.

Brockleigh -> RE: Is this game for me? (12/20/2006 6:17:10 PM)

Perfect. Thank you.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI