RE: Disease (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865

Queeg -> RE: Disease (12/29/2006 9:09:36 PM)

On reflection, I think I like the disease model because it indirectly models another important real-world factor: the fact that real-life commanders couldn't keep their entire army sitting/marching in one big lump in one spot all the time. In real life, the generals of the ACW were always hoping to catch the enemy strung out - to attack the head or tail of the army before it could concentrate. In most games, however, armies have no head or tail. They just march around in one giant stack. Worse, in most games, they can just stay in that one giant stack forever. That completely destroys the opportunity for maneuver.

I like the fact that FOF forces you to disperse your units until the decisive moment. That's as it should be, and opens all sorts of tactical opportunities.

Berkut -> RE: Disease (12/29/2006 11:38:51 PM)

Well, for the moment, in PBEM, me and my opponent are playing with disease turned off. I don't play against the AI at all, so what can or cannot be accomplished against it isn't very intersting, IMO.

Actually, I think a big part of the problem is not just the casualties - it is the disposition hit. When you are trying to put together an offensive, and along comes this  random thing that promptly crushed your preparations for several turns...?

It jsut means that both sides build a ridiculous number of camps. I would rather see the radical disease resutls and the 20k men a turn camps both reduced.

Twinkle -> RE: Disease (12/29/2006 11:44:55 PM)

Is the effect of diseases really lowered during winter months as it is stated in the manual, because it sure doesn’t seems like that from my pbem games...

The Hospital building explicitly states that it halves the number of disease casualties... my experience is that this effect is not achieved until a number of hospitals are built that affect a particular area, is it so and why?

Berkut -> RE: Disease (12/29/2006 11:51:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Queeg

On reflection, I think I like the disease model because it indirectly models another important real-world factor: the fact that real-life commanders couldn't keep their entire army sitting/marching in one big lump in one spot all the time. In real life, the generals of the ACW were always hoping to catch the enemy strung out - to attack the head or tail of the army before it could concentrate. In most games, however, armies have no head or tail. They just march around in one giant stack. Worse, in most games, they can just stay in that one giant stack forever. That completely destroys the opportunity for maneuver.

I like the fact that FOF forces you to disperse your units until the decisive moment. That's as it should be, and opens all sorts of tactical opportunities.

You are talking about an operational issue.

Armies in the ACW can and did concentrate into one FoF sized province all the time. And stay there for months, in fact.

Berkut -> RE: Disease (12/29/2006 11:53:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twinkle

Is the effect of diseases really lowered during winter months as it is stated in the manual, because it sure doesn’t seems like that from my pbem games...

The Hospital building explicitly states that it halves the number of disease casualties... my experience is that this effect is not achieved until a number of hospitals are built that affect a particular area, is it so and why?

You know what would be nice? And I know I've said this about several differnt things, so sorry if I am "beating a dead horse" again...

But more information! "Disease strikes the Army of North Virginia!" then a huge list of every single brigade, and what they lost. A good example of a report that tells you a lot, but almost nothing useful. I don't really need a list of every single brigades losses, I need a list of factors that influenced the outbreak to begin with!

Twinkle -> RE: Disease (12/29/2006 11:59:57 PM)

quote:

100k+ men in an area the size of a FoF province could and is quite dispersed...

Queeg -> RE: Disease (12/30/2006 12:19:37 AM)

quote:

100k+ men in an area the size of a FoF province could and is quite dispersed...

Understood. But FOF encourages you to disperse more broadly. A good thing, in my view. Ideally, FOF would have more provinces. But as the map now stands, I like they way the disease model actually encourages you to use the map and the rail connections and hospitals. To think and plan a bit instead of just "My perpetual stack will beat your perpetual stack."

And, of course, you can turn disease off completely if you choose.

Queeg -> RE: Disease (12/30/2006 12:24:58 AM)

quote:

I'm curious about this myself. I first learned about the effects of disease and the importance of hospitals by reading through the AARs, and I got the impression that winter months are the worst. And my game experience seems to confirm that. Does the manual have it backwards?

Queeg -> RE: Disease (12/30/2006 12:27:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Berkut

quote:

You are talking about an operational issue.

Agreed. I like the fact that the disease model raises such operational considerations.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI