The demo hangs up when loading the battle (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Tech Support

Elwro -> The demo hangs up when loading the battle (12/23/2006 1:22:59 AM)

I installed the demo. When I press "Battle" in the main menu, a loading screen appears with the "Loading cleanup" message. It stays there indefinitely and nothing happens save for the music playing in the background. I can't alt-tab my way out, alt-f4 does not work and neither does alt-ctrl-del. Hard reset is the only option.

I looked at the log file. It ends like this:
"2006-12-22 15:00:13: Sprite does not exist: c:\alexander\matrix games\alexander the great demo\Media/Buttons/more info G.png
2006-12-22 15:00:13: ******************************"
And it's true, save for the strange slash/backslash confusion the "more info G.png" file really doesn't exist in that directory.

Apart from that I have no idea what causes the problem. Don't tell me to upgrade my drivers since Gothic III and other new games run just fine.[:)]

My specs:

Athlon 64 3600+
1 GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
Windows XP SP2
DirectX 9.0c
.NET installed with the demo (1.1)

I'd be grateful for any help.

edit: DirectX version

Elwro -> RE: The demo hangs up when loading the battle (12/23/2006 7:20:07 PM)

From another thread...
quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Did you install the DirectX version that came with the demo? That includes Managed DirectX, which most folks don't have - even though the general DirectX version may be the same as what you already have. If you're not sure, reinstall it from the /redist sub-folder under the demo and you should be set. Also, please do post a DxDiag for us in that tech support thread.
After reinstalling the newest DirectX AND running the mdxredist.msi file everything runs fine, thank you very much! I'd have sworn I installed everything the game asked me about...

The funny thing is that now dxdiag seems to complain. There's no point in posting the whole thing since the game runs fine. But, here's an excerpt from dxdiag.txt right after installing DiretX 9.0c:

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

And here's the corresponding section from the current dxdiag.txt, after installing mdxredist.msi:
------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: The file system.dll is missing! You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

And the part about missing system.dll is bogus, for some unknown reason there are two system.dlls in the "DirectX Files" list, one of which is flagged as "missing". Just a curiosity; I don't mind it since everything runs fine now.

Thanks again, Erik!

edit: I'm unable to manually insert quotations properly...

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI