Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Freedom205 -> Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (12/30/2006 2:14:22 AM)

Hey all,

Looking for a naval combat sim of the Jutland or Russo-Japanese era and dont know of any. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Mike

Honda -> RE: Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (12/30/2006 2:20:50 AM)

I seem to remember Dreadnaughts[:)]

MarcA -> RE: Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (12/30/2006 2:43:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Hall

Hey all,

Looking for a naval combat sim of the Jutland or Russo-Japanese era and dont know of any. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Mike

Here are some links. I haven't played any of these. The last one is a review of Distant Guns which seems to have excited lots of people

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/NavCamp/Tsushima/tsushima.html

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/NavCamp/Jutland/jutland.html

http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/2006/08/distant-guns-russo-japanese-war-at-sea.html

alanschu -> RE: Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (12/30/2006 4:24:10 AM)

I had fun with Distant Guns. 

Terminus -> RE: Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (12/30/2006 4:50:37 AM)

Me too. For a VERY short while...

ChezDaJez -> RE: Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (12/30/2006 6:57:44 AM)

I have Jutland from HPS Sims and I like it.

The graphics are quite dated but the AI is very good. It plays in real time.... no turns to speak of. You can speed up the time to 8X IIRC. The biggest problem with this game is that it is even more difficult to locate and examine a specific ship or TF than it is in WitP. The interface is somewhat clunky and takes some getting used to but the game does recreate that feeling Beatty must have had of "What the hell is going on?!"

Chez

Mike Scholl -> RE: Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (12/30/2006 7:19:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

The graphics are quite dated but the AI is very good. It plays in real time.... no turns to speak of. You can speed up the time to 8X IIRC. The biggest problem with this game is that it is even more difficult to locate and examine a specific ship or TF than it is in WitP. The interface is somewhat clunky and takes some getting used to but the game does recreate that feeling Beatty must have had of "What the hell is going on?!"

Chez

You are kidding, right? The same AI that sends it's entire fleet steaming full speed towards you so that you meet first a bunch of DD's, then CL's, then CA's, and finally the BB's---all steaming by themselves?
I thought it did a lot of things well..., but the AI was a dissappointment in my book.

jwilkerson -> RE: Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (12/30/2006 8:42:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Hall

Hey all,

Thanks

Mike

If you don't care much about graphics, there is one called "Raider Ops" ... It might have a new name something like "Strategic Naval Gunnery" ... it is a better sim than it is an eye candy game ... but you have to sign an agreement when you buy that you will support the game yourself and that you have no expectations about receiving any support from anyone else. And the price is $100 USD IIRC, so there are some barriers. I took the plunge and liked the game. But it kept dying after 30 minutes due to "security issues" and when I contacted the "owner" he pointed out he didn't have to support me and it was up to me to fix it .. I wasn't too happy. Haven't played it since. But for 30 minute runs, it was pretty good. From a gun effects accuracy perspective, probably the best I've seen. But the graphics are nothing like Distant Guns :) If you're serious about playing such a sim and are willing to get on their forum and get help from other players and work through the issues (I wasn't) then this might be the game for you!

Sardaukar -> RE: Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (12/30/2006 3:01:05 PM)

IIRC, you can get Great Naval Battles V (it's WW I) free from

http://www.the-underdogs.info

ChezDaJez -> RE: Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (12/31/2006 12:29:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

Chez

You are kidding, right? The same AI that sends it's entire fleet steaming full speed towards you so that you meet first a bunch of DD's, then CL's, then CA's, and finally the BB's---all steaming by themselves?
I thought it did a lot of things well..., but the AI was a dissappointment in my book.

I haven't played the grand campaign, only some of the smaller scenarios. The AI seemed to work fine. Course, its been awhile since I played it but I don't think I've senile since then... well, maybe I have.

Chez

Terminus -> RE: Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (12/31/2006 2:55:30 AM)

If so, you probably don't remember...[;)]

Nikademus -> RE: Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (12/31/2006 6:35:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

IIRC, you can get Great Naval Battles V (it's WW I) free from

http://www.the-underdogs.info

GNB Volume V was one of the worst attempts at prying some money from a dead product ever created. A true turkey. One would be better off downloading Gary Grigsby's old "Battlecruiser" game from the same site. Its more accurate despite the primitive graphics. (GNB V's graphics were beyond awful and not any more accurate than the gun stats anyway)

Terminus -> RE: Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (12/31/2006 2:38:54 PM)

So... You didn't like it, huh?[:D]

BrucePowers -> RE: Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (12/31/2006 5:09:23 PM)

There a couple of very good rule sets out there for tabletop miniatures

Sardaukar -> RE: Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (1/1/2007 3:18:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

GNB Volume V was one of the worst attempts at prying some money from a dead product ever created. A true turkey. One would be better off downloading Gary Grigsby's old "Battlecruiser" game from the same site. Its more accurate despite the primitive graphics. (GNB V's graphics were beyond awful and not any more accurate than the gun stats anyway)

Well..just like free legal advice...worth what one pays for it...[:D][;)][:D]

Radames -> RE: Any good WWI Naval sims out there? (1/1/2007 11:01:21 PM)

See http://www.naval-warfare.net/.

Warship Combat : Dreadnoughts and Battleships has tactical battles covering the period (from 1890). Free demo download available.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI