the blitz (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865

General Lee -> the blitz (12/30/2006 6:36:26 AM)

I've been reading alot of Harry Turtledove lately so I've decided as the CSA to mount an offensive into Ohio, hoping to split the country, my question is will this make any difference or am i just whistling dixie?

jimwinsor -> RE: the blitz (12/30/2006 6:42:40 AM)

Sure it'll make a difference; Ohio has a fair amount of economic production; and severing the North in two like that will essentially block the USA's ability to reinforce from one theatre to the next.  Two natural strategic advantages.

General Lee -> RE: the blitz (12/30/2006 6:56:56 AM)

will it block resources from the west reaching the east? I'm not sure exactly how resources are pooled, and I should mention that England is an active combatant on my side.

jimwinsor -> RE: the blitz (12/30/2006 7:10:42 AM)

I see what your saying.  Yeah, the game pools all resources together from the various cities, no seperate pools are maintained in the event a country gets "split," although there are special rules for if and when the Union controls the Mississippi, IIRC.

General Quarters -> RE: the blitz (12/30/2006 3:25:23 PM)

After Manassas, Beauregard proposed, with Johnston's backing, to take the army through Pittsburgh and Erie and cut the Union in half. Had the South be able to do this -- and HOLD it -- it certainly would have had a huge impact on the economy and politics as well as logistics. Perhaps the game should include some bonus for the South, or penalty to the North, if it is able to do this.

Nick R -> RE: the blitz (12/30/2006 6:04:06 PM)

I have done this by first taking Missouri and then Illinois. It is very effective. My National Will is 6 and North's is -2 and my score is 13 his is -6 I believe.
See my other post in "Union Tips" for how I focus my resources.

Mike Scholl -> RE: the blitz (12/30/2006 6:17:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Quarters

After Manassas, Beauregard proposed, with Johnston's backing, to take the army through Pittsburgh and Erie and cut the Union in half. Had the South be able to do this -- and HOLD it -- it certainly would have had a huge impact on the economy and politics as well as logistics. Perhaps the game should include some bonus for the South, or penalty to the North, if it is able to do this.

The "minor problems" being that the South could barely feed its Army at Manassas..., and that marching off over the mountains to Western Pennsylvania would leave the still-superior-in-numbers Union forces in Washington with nothing between them and Richmond and a shorter distance to go... So while the bedraggled and starving Southern Army staggers down the hill towards Pittsburg, the Union takes Richmond and "hangs Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree". Great idea! Wonder why they didn't try it?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI