What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

sapper_astro -> What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/7/2007 5:25:57 PM)

I would like people here to suggest any strat/Wargame ideas that you would really like to see made, and what elements would be important to you in them.

I have many ideas for games, but one that I have already mentioned in passing on this forum is that of a Strategy game set in Feudal Japan in the lead up to the Tokkagawa Shogunate.

Hertston -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/7/2007 5:46:11 PM)

Hmmm...

A strategy game based on Renaissance Italy 1490-1530 ish. With a fully developed diplomatic model (which nodody has really done to date) together with the usual war and economic stuff that could be great fun, especially with suitable Machiavellian multiplay!

A decent, dedicated, Vietnam strategy game, covering the whole conflict (at least from the start of US involvement).

The 2by3 Eastern Front game actually appearing at some stage.

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/7/2007 6:00:37 PM)

Me, while I love the Civilization IV game for what it is, what I would love to see, is someone do the same game basically, but make it so the time spans somehow made sense.

One move of a unit, covers a distance that is so utterly regulated, so utterly arbitrary, that is looks utterly fake in the end.

Voyages of discovery taking hundreds of turns, and as a result hundreds of years, well the men that start the voyage would die of old age, you wouldn't even need to fight them after 30 turns, they'd be unable to actually do anything substantial.

Thus, I dream of a world builder, where certain missions actually made sense.

And this goes equally for the real time using games too. They are just as fake in the way they are run.

Kuokkanen -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/7/2007 7:40:40 PM)

Operational level game, where player can choose target on hex what to attack against. Of course this should be much easier with artillery while other units would hit their heads on front line defense (like infantry). There might already be game like this. If so, I would like to know name of it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper_astro

Strategy game set in Feudal Japan in the lead up to the Tokkagawa Shogunate.

I don't know who Tokkagawa Shogunate is, but you might try out Shogun: Total War

sapper_astro -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/7/2007 7:51:15 PM)

I played Shogun to death back in the day....but that wasn't quite what I had in mind. More along the lines of deep diplomacy, strategy and dynasty mixed with an abstracted/Not so detailed as Shogun war system so to speak.

Shogun was the pinnacle of the TW games for me, however apart from the battles, the rest of the game was quite shallow. I am after a reversed trend now.

Warfare1 -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/12/2007 11:45:12 PM)

Some ideas for turn-based strategy games:

1) The Roman Empire from birth to death - the whole shebang... would be great to play.

2) Imperialism game from 1830 to 1913.

3) A History of the World game. Build an empire through economics, politics and warfare...

bostonrpgmania -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 12:02:49 AM)

Battlefront (SSG)'s operational map + Combat mission's tactical battle=my dream comes true

KG Erwin -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 2:19:09 AM)

The Vietnam War hasn't been covered very well at all, IMHO. I remember a Microprose game for the C-64 called "Vietnam", and I thought it was quite good. As a matter of fact, I still have it (but I no longer own a working C-64). It covered several battles, from Dien Bien Phu to the 1972 Easter Offensive. This is what sparked my interest in the operations of the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). As I recall, destroyed NVA & VC units spawned cadres, and could reform -- I thought it well demonstrated the difficulty of maintaining control over an area that we didn't physically keep occupied.

Terminus -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 2:20:00 AM)

Oh yeah, that one was excellent, but so were most Microprose games...

KG Erwin -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 2:27:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I'm glad you remember that one, Terminus. A nice printed manual, lots of historical info included. I miss playing it.

Jevhaddah -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 2:49:17 AM)

quote:

The Vietnam War hasn't been covered very well at all, IMHO. I remember a Microprose game for the C-64 called "Vietnam", and I thought it was quite good. As a matter of fact, I still have it (but I no longer own a working C-64). It covered several battles, from Dien Bien Phu to the 1972 Easter Offensive. This is what sparked my interest in the operations of the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). As I recall, destroyed NVA & VC units spawned cadres, and could reform -- I thought it well demonstrated the difficulty of maintaining control over an area that we didn't physically keep occupied.

Get yerself a C64 Emulator, I still play a lot of old games on my PC using various emulators [:D]

Cheers

Jev

Terminus -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 3:01:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

quote:

I'm glad you remember that one, Terminus. A nice printed manual, lots of historical info included. I miss playing it.

At one time, Microprose games were about the only ones I played. I still have a number of those manuals which I've kept because they are of such high quality...

Sardonic -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 3:28:51 AM)

I would like to see a game with the same depth as VG Vietnam on Vietnam.

Should be easy to consider since the head of Matrix helped design VG Vietnam.

There IS an interest in the period. A huge interest.

Ursa MAior -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 9:08:49 AM)

A game, no matter what age, where fog of war is real, and your biggest adversary is the chaos. A report that would say we have heavy losses, we are retiring instead 2nd Kure SNLF lost 12,5 men 1,2 guns and 0,15 M92 tankettes to AT fire of 164th US RCT. Current morale is 35.534 fatigue 23 and has 23 AVs If you know what I mean.

Less control, more unpredictability. Like in a real battle. Less physics more psychology. Sort of computerized Piquet.

As of games EiA:NW and an age of sail (with ironclads if possible cuz it would attract more people). War in Russia 4 aka Eastern front would be nice too.

m10bob -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 3:06:20 PM)

Did I mention AGE OF RIFLES?[:D]

Terminus -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 3:44:46 PM)

A few times... or 37...[;)][:'(]

Moltke71 -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 6:16:59 PM)

Given the military innovations seen in them, I can't understand why the Wars of German Unification (1864-1870) haven't been done.

Terminus -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 6:26:44 PM)

I'd expect it's because they're not as well known as WWII or the ACW...

Moltke71 -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 6:42:39 PM)

quote:

That's no excuse.

m10bob -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 6:54:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bismarck

Given the military innovations seen in them, I can't understand why the Wars of German Unification (1864-1870) haven't been done.

It could certainly be done in.....AGE OF RIFLES[8D]

Terminus -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 6:56:14 PM)

quote:

quote:

That's no excuse.

In marketing terms... you bet your ass it's an excuse!

Moltke71 -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 7:31:42 PM)

Terminus,

Too true, unfortunately.

m10Bob,

Altough the original AoR engine would need work on handling Prussian open order formations and correcting the Chassepot's values, you're right on a tactical level. The true brillance of Moltke, however, was operational.

ravinhood -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 7:54:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warfare1

1) The Roman Empire from birth to death - the whole shebang... would be great to play.

3) A History of the World game. Build an empire through economics, politics and warfare...

I like those two. You can have #2, never cared for the Victorian age except for "Zulu Wars" and "ACW".

m10bob -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/13/2007 10:41:55 PM)

quote:

Terminus,

Too true, unfortunately.

m10Bob,

Altough the original AoR engine would need work on handling Prussian open order formations and correcting the Chassepot's values, you're right on a tactical level. The true brillance of Moltke, however, was operational.

von Molke and Frederick were legends...but then , I feel that way about von Steuben auch......[;)]

Flannel -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/14/2007 2:45:21 AM)

As a gamer both board and computer(30 years) I would like to see some in depth naval games and have just ordered a submarine game 'Silent War' (Compass Games.com) which covers the American subs in the Pacific. It had the highest rating ever on Boardgamegeek and a 'brill' review in the 'Wargamer' and Consim Games. This type perhaps, is one Matrix could look at.
Other games such as 'Alesia', 'Punic Wars', 'Crimea' there are so many era's such as the Campaigns of Alexander.

Flannel

Hertston -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/14/2007 3:06:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flannel

Other games such as 'Alesia', 'Punic Wars', 'Crimea' there are so many era's such as the Campaigns of Alexander.

Hmmm... got me thinking. Maybe a suggestion better suited to the "what old games should Matrix dig up next" thread [;)], but how about a remake/re-issue of the I-Magic Great Battles series which were ports of the GMT boardgames? I'd jump at buying a re-hash of the 'Collectors Edition' (Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar and the editor) that was fully XP and Vista compatible and with a suitable graphics make-over.

KG Erwin -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/14/2007 3:41:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flannel

Hmmm... got me thinking. Maybe a suggestion better suited to the "what old games should Matrix dig up next" thread [;)], but how about a remake/re-issue of the I-Magic Great Battles series which were ports of the GMT boardgames? I'd jump at buying a re-hash of the 'Collectors Edition' (Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar and the editor) that was fully XP and Vista compatible and with a suitable graphics make-over.

I STILL have this installed on my PC -- the only game that I know of that shows dead bodies (and dead horses) on the battlefield, besides John Tiller's US Civil War Battleground games.

rhondabrwn -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/14/2007 4:34:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warfare1

2) Imperialism game from 1830 to 1913.

I'll vote for #3, if it includes video clips from the Mel Brooks version (History of the World, Part I).

[:D]

rhondabrwn -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/14/2007 4:53:12 AM)

Seriously, now...

I would like to see a "Civilization" type game, done with a HUGE detailed map of the world (like 10 times bigger than Civ II), accurate graphics (not the animated cartoony type), and real military units with command, organization, and logistical support built in.

In other words, a world game that plays as easily as Civilization II, with colonization, economic development, cultural and scientific research, but with the military detail of TOAW or BII.

When I say "plays as easily as CIV II" I mean a technology tree that isn't as intimidating to manage as in HOI Doomsday and it's kin. A game that captures the sweep of world history without getting bogged down in the detail.

I love the concept of Europa Universalis, Victoria, HOI etc but, darn it, they are just not that much fun to play. A little too abstract, too many pop up windows, too much going on too fast... I don't know... I've been trying to get into Victoria Revolutions, but just keep bogging down. I want something realistic that feels more like a traditional wargame, but with that added level of strategic complexity.

That's why Civ II remains a game that can still hook me for hours on end even when I tire of it's successors. It just has the right "feel" and that's what I would like to see in a new game. One that focuses on real military tactics and not just flashy graphics and animated tanks and soldiers marching across the map.

gunny -> RE: What Strat/Wargame would you like to see done? (1/14/2007 12:09:13 PM)

I would like to see a game featuring squad level play right down to individual fire teams and soldiers. The battlefield would hold a platoon plus, in linked 500m grids to form an AO.
The era would be vietnam. The maps would be 3D with eye pleasing rivers, swamps and foliage, highlands, paddies, grass hut villages and elephant grass.
A finite platoon of soldiers would patrol from small fire base in an Area of Operation consisting of linked grids. Defending the fire base while patrolling the maps would be the ongoing mission. Prestige points would be spent on fast air support and replacement troops. Should the player opt not to patrol the AO, then the enemy will mass an NVA battalion for an all out assault on the firebase. Gameover.[;)]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI