Unit Error, Siege is way off (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865

christof139 -> Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/7/2007 6:30:36 PM)

A Big Boo-boo!!!!!!!!!!! Hood's Texas Bde. appeared as a Cav. Bde.!!! Is this an error, because it most definietely is wrong!!! Please make Hood's Texas Bde. an Infantry Bde. as it actually was.

Also, moving in to siege a city, Siege Arty. is one turn behind my main force. and I lose over 16,000 troops to just over 100 of the enemy's in the first siege turn and the enemy is in a city and not a fort. THAT IS CRAZY AND VERY UNREALISTIC!!! No, not, nichts, nein and heck no!!!

Chris

Hard Sarge -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/7/2007 6:37:49 PM)

how many troops are in that city ?

Erik Rutins -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/7/2007 6:40:25 PM)

I'd also have to ask how many troops were in the garrison, what was the disposition of your forces, your armament, leadership, etc. I've been through a lot of sieges and 16,000 vs. 100 is a new one on me, so I have to assume there was some kind of disparity that I don't see in my games.

Regards,

- Erik

christof139 -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/7/2007 6:49:30 PM)

There was 1 Union Bde. in the City of Cattanooga. They must have used Chattanooga Choo-choo train bombs against my poor Confeds. [X(]

I have not yet recovered and am in disarray, but have moved another Dicvision in and my Siege Arty. however, I want about 14,500 or so of my troopies that were wiped from the face of the planet back, and that won't happen. [:@]

Hard Sarge -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/7/2007 6:53:52 PM)

it look like Hoods Bde is listed as Cav, you can go into the file and change it to Inf if you want, it is a notepad deal

well, as Erik Says, something else must be going on, or you ran into mean Union Bde, I have never seen those kinds of losses vs a Fort or a City

christof139 -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/7/2007 6:57:32 PM)

HS,  Ok, thanx. Do you know what file it is to change for Hood's Bde.??  I have to start doing some minor tweaking.

Yes, that is the first time I had anything so drastic and nasty happen in a siege!!! It flipped-me-out, and I almost deserted to the Union!!!! Better rations over there anyway.

Chris

Hard Sarge -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/7/2007 7:09:49 PM)

look in data/ACWspecunits

now what all the numbers and what not mean, I am not sure

to be honest, I am not sure if that is showing it to be Cav or Arty ?

or even if what I am looking at means that or not

there may be some info in the mod area also ???

Gray_Lensman -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/7/2007 8:22:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: christof139

HS,  Ok, thanx. Do you know what file it is to change for Hood's Bde.??  I have to start doing some minor tweaking.

Yes, that is the first time I had anything so drastic and nasty happen in a siege!!! It flipped-me-out, and I almost deserted to the Union!!!! Better rations over there anyway.

Chris

It's in the AcwSpecUnits.txt file located in the /data folder

Near the bottom of the file it reads:

87 Hood's_Texas_Brigade 2 29 0 0 1 0 17

change it to read:

87 Hood's_Texas_Brigade 2 29 0 1 0 0 17

That should do it.

Paper Tiger -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/7/2007 11:21:22 PM)

14,500 from one brigade, that would be an artillery brigade with top line weapons. Done that before to really mess with the AI dropped a couple of 6pdrs I think (could have been Napoleons can't remember) (upgraded from infantry with Art) into a city that was about to get seiged, result 6000+ damage caused by each in the first turn the two infantry caused another 3k and that was half the seiging army gone :-)
Imagine if the 6pds had been one of the better weapons 15K plus per unit.

Gray_Lensman -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/7/2007 11:32:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paper Tiger

14,500 from one brigade, that would be an artillery brigade with top line weapons. Done that before to really mess with the AI dropped a couple of 6pdrs I think (could have been Napoleons can't remember) (upgraded from infantry with Art) into a city that was about to get seiged, result 6000+ damage caused by each in the first turn the two infantry caused another 3k and that was half the seiging army gone :-)
Imagine if the 6pds had been one of the better weapons 15K plus per unit.

wrong thread post?

Twinkle -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/7/2007 11:46:36 PM)

No, he explained how he reduced a siege army by placing an artillery brigade in a fort...

Gray_Lensman -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/7/2007 11:52:13 PM)

Doh, getting old here. It made no sense till I reread the thread.[sm=terms.gif]

christof139 -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/8/2007 12:29:24 PM)

HS, Gary, Twinkle, and PT,

This is what happened: I was attacking a Union Art. Bde. I discovered, in a fort in the Cumberland River. The Union Arty. Bde. had 2,000 men, but I don't knwo how many guns that represents, as I have not even looked at the manual yet.

I saved the game and went through this scenario a few times to determnine what happened. Then I played regularly and left 'that!!' fort alone, until I can bring up siege siege arty. which is being employed elsewhere for a few turns. Then, I will get 'that!!' con-sarned Yankee fort. It's one the Yanks built near Ft. Donelson.

It seems that when the Yanks capture a province they always build another fort, even if there are one or two forts in the province already. Forts are eay and somewhat fun to capture without using siege arty. when they contain no additional garrison units, in which case they just capitulate in a turn or two or three, and then you have a nice, new fort for yourself.

I like forts, as I live in Detroit, and even a fortified Manor House can come in handy. Many nice and great people here, but sometimes the scurvy ruffians and hooligans can be obnoxiously pestiferous, even when they haven't been imbibing at Sibley's Party Tent (what a great name for a Tavern!!).

Thanx for the info. on what files to look in to change somethings.

Chris

Hard Sarge -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/8/2007 2:43:54 PM)

still odd though, as I thought the unit in the fort only got one round of fireing (unless it is mulip seiges)

will give it a look when I can set something like that up

(I have done the same thing, make a garrison into a Arty unit and then leave, and it didn't do those kinds of numbers)

christof139 -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/9/2007 2:46:02 AM)

I don't know but I got creamed. However, i think the total casualty figures in the report may be high, as I sometimes eventually lose a whole bde. and some are attritted, but they get filled with replacements and/or the total casualty figure is high and wrong.

Beats me.

Chris

Gil R. -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/10/2007 3:44:28 AM)

Sorry, that was my mistake, making Hood's Brigade cavalry. I'm not sure how it happened. We'll fix it for the next patch. In the meantime, just mod it by putting a "1" in the infantry column and a zero in the cavalry column, and remove the "17" from the attributes column (since Quality Horses isn't useful to infantry). If you want, you can give them a new attribute, perhaps Signal Corps (5), Pioneers (8), Baggage Train (9), Medical (11), or Scouts (12).

christof139 -> RE: Unit Error, Siege is way off (1/10/2007 11:28:05 AM)

Hi Gil,

OK and thanx for the info. Someone else also posted how to make the Cav. to Inf. change, but I haven't done it and will just wait for the patch, then I can diddle with things after the 2nd patch.

I haven't read the manual so I am learning what certain attributes do to enhance units, and I have gleaned some info. from recent posts. I started reading some of the manual yesterday but was tired and went to sleep.

I recieved an email from DR stating that my hard copy of the game is shipping, so I should get a printed manual with that.

It will be fun reading the rules.

Thanx, Chris

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI