Thinking of taking the plunge (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

iaidoka2 -> Thinking of taking the plunge (1/9/2007 4:06:30 AM)

Im thinking of buying a copy of WiTP even though I am not a grognard and know very little about the War in the Pacific simply because of the enthusiasm I see in these forums.

I know the learning curve is likely to be quite steep but can anyone who wasn't a grog (do you become one once you buy WiTP because the game forces you?) and knew little about this theatre comment on what the game was like for them when they first bought it. The only wargames I am really familiar with are HTTR, COTA and TAOWIII. I have a couple of other Matrix titles like COG but do not really play them.

Secondly, there seems to be buckets loads of mods floating around. What do people recommend as the must do modding when you first get WiTP?

Thirdly, I noticed some people run a standard version and a modded version, is there any problems with registry entries and the like or do you have to do something more creative than just install two versions of the game (computer noob syndrome here).

Thanks in advance.

Artmiser -> RE: Thinking of taking the plunge (1/9/2007 4:48:17 AM)

That picture looks familiar you by chance post on the Stony Road forum?

New to the game also myself but heres a link that helps a bit.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1274014

Art

BossGnome -> RE: Thinking of taking the plunge (1/9/2007 4:50:50 AM)

I have been playing this game going on 4 years, and loved it. I must admit, at first the game is a little daunting. First of all, the main campaign is simply unlike anything you have ever experienced. It is so massive it is unbelievable. The first time I loaded it up I looked around, then immediately shut it off and took a deep breath. However the learning curve is not horrible. you can start with small scenarios, like the marianas, or guadalcanal, and the tutorial is also quite good. Moreover, more complicated concepts, like fiddlingg with the japanese industry, are completely optional. When I started my campaign 3 years ago (I am now in end June 1943), I almost did not touch my Jap industry for the first 6 months. Afterwards, I slowly began to get the hang of it, and by now my industry is pretty much custom built to my needs. This game's learning curve is surprisingly easy actually, considering you'll be playing the same game-possibly vs the same guy!- for something like 5 years![:D]

iaidoka2 -> RE: Thinking of taking the plunge (1/9/2007 6:13:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artmiser

That picture looks familiar you by chance post on the Stony Road forum?

New to the game also myself but heres a link that helps a bit.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1274014

Art

Sadly I have to admit I shamelessly stole it from somewhere but can't remember where now.

Thanks for the comments guys. The WiTP forums are almost bloody impossibly to search they are so large now!

Grotius -> RE: Thinking of taking the plunge (1/9/2007 7:58:37 AM)

I can't answer your questions on mods, because the only mod I've ever used is Andrew Brown's map mod, which basically changes the map in more historical ways. Mostly I play "vanilla" WITP. In my current game vs the AI, I'm using Subchaser's prettier version of the stock map, which is simply the stock map with a bit more info. Personally, I'd recommend playing with the "stock" game for a bit until you get a feel for what you do and don't like about it. There's plenty of gaming goodness in the stock game!

Coupon -> RE: Thinking of taking the plunge (1/9/2007 8:11:39 AM)

The first turn is a b i t c h, but it then gets much easier.

TheElf -> RE: Thinking of taking the plunge (1/9/2007 10:23:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: iaidoka2

Im thinking of buying a copy of WiTP even though I am not a grognard and know very little about the War in the Pacific simply because of the enthusiasm I see in these forums.

I posted this in the other "window shopping" thread:

Best way to get a feel for the game is get up early one morning, brew some good coffee, and begin to read an AAR (After Action Report), preferably one that the author posts full of screenshots. Not only will you get a feel for the scope and strategy, but you will get to see alot of in game screens with explanations as to what you are seeing. If the AAR is well written and illustrated you will be sucked into an alternate history of the War in the Pacific and might even learn something.

I recommend VSWG or Fuerer Kriegs AARs. Purely due to their style of AAR writing. There are others.

If you want to get a peek and some great strategy, high experience combined with great humor(name-calling in Aussie, and dancing banana's and Stormtroopers) check out the longest running rivalry between Raverdave and the Banana Boy (Luskan)himself in Aussie Affair III - This time it's personal. A great read if not well illustrated.

VSWGs has ended, but is several pages long and VERY well illustrated. Fuerer Kriegs is older and ongoing though slowly it seems at the moment.

Just beware that they both use many art mods, very easily obtainable, but nonetheless not representative of the product out of the box.

Links:
Fuerer Kriegs 3 x 3 Emperor's Champs
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=908799
VSWG vs. Gary - The Allied Perspective
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1187748
Aussie Affair III - This time it's personal
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1286106

tsimmonds -> RE: Thinking of taking the plunge (1/9/2007 1:14:37 PM)

quote:

Thirdly, I noticed some people run a standard version and a modded version, is there any problems with registry entries and the like or do you have to do something more creative than just install two versions of the game (computer noob syndrome here).

Just make sure you do the second install to a different folder, and also give helpful names to the shortcuts created during the install, as only one of the games will run from the start menu.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI