TCP/IP Appeal (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Crown Of Glory Support

macsporan -> TCP/IP Appeal (1/10/2007 12:05:57 PM)

I am very disappointed that COG cannot be played online. I am tempted to ask for my money back.

With tears in my eyes I implore the designers and programmers to as a matter of urgency repair this game so that it can be played as it deserves to be played and deliver to us Napoleon freaks the pleasure that it promises. [&o]

I would not object to the 'detailed battle' part was deleted for online play as long as online play with 'quick battle' was possible.

As well as this it would help expedite "Empires in Arms" and for God's sake make sure it can be played online.

Erik Rutins -> RE: TCP/IP Appeal (1/18/2007 5:42:45 PM)

I discussed the status of CoG as far as mutiplayer support with Eric. I know that we played LAN games of this many times at conventions and that there was a regular weekend Internet TCP/IP group for a while, so I was surprised to see the recent comments on TCP/IP play.

Eric told me that there are two remaining issues he is aware of. The first is a problem with reinforcements in detailed combat during multiplayer games. This issue was resolved for Forge of Freedom and as soon as support for that release slows down, that fix will be back-fitted to CoG. The second is the diplomat issue. This is not something Eric has been able to duplicate and it only seems to affect some games and not others.

Neither of these seem to be "game-killers" to me, so if there's something else going on, please let me know and I'll make sure it gets to his attention for a post-FoF look.

Regards,

- Erik

macsporan -> RE: TCP/IP Appeal (1/23/2007 10:16:39 AM)

Thanks for your reply.

It seems that the experience of my friends and I is rather different to yours. Why this should be so I cannot tell.

We made five separate attempts to play TCP/IP. For the first thee none of the joiners could even join as the host's IP address refused to appear.

It took one of us, a qualifed network engineer, five hours of work to even get this to happen.

On the two occasions we tried to play players were kicked for no reason and quick battles (which we used for preference) froze thus crashing the whole game.

When first we posted about this we learned that this was a common experience and that the game was unplayable.

This has been our experience also: hence this appeal.

I am grateful for the tremendous amount of work you guys have put into this excellent game, but I assure you I am not making this up either.

Could you please investigate this matter further and get back to me.

Thanks once more,

Mac

macsporan -> RE: TCP/IP Appeal (2/12/2007 5:49:33 AM)

I must say that I am extremely unimpressed with Matrix Games. [:@]

I don't think I'll be buying any more of their games as their standard of customer service is very poor.

First of all the release buggy, unplayable games and then they fail to fix them despite numerous attempts.

Then they then pretend there isn't a problem.

When the nature of the problem is pointed out they hide themselves in silence.

I would say that the leadership of this company is incompetent, arrogant and deserving of bankruptcy.

I found my copy of COG going cheap in a reject bin. Now I see why.

By the way, I'd like to be proved wrong about Matrix. Any takers?

Erik Rutins -> RE: TCP/IP Appeal (2/12/2007 7:41:36 AM)

I posted earlier that as soon as the next Forge of Freedom patch is wrapped up, Eric will take a look at these CoG reports again. The fact is that there has been active TCP/IP play of COG in the past. I've watched it played with 4+ players at conventions for hours at a time. There was a weekend TCP/IP game running here on the forum for months.

For any critical TCP/IP issues in the current version, we will investigate and fix them, but the developers are currently being kept very busy by their newest release and simply don't have the time to take another look at this until the second FOF update is done.

ericbabe -> RE: TCP/IP Appeal (3/7/2007 3:14:09 AM)

The Microsoft DirectPlay 4.0 libraries we used to implement the TCP/IP library has known stability issues.  Unfortunately the later versions of DirectPlay are so different from 4.0 that porting to them is beyond the capabilities of our budget.  I know many people who do play COG over TCP/IP with great success, and I myself have played hundreds of hours over our LAN without any serious issues.

Grand_Armee -> RE: TCP/IP Appeal (3/7/2007 8:30:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

The Microsoft DirectPlay 4.0 libraries we used to implement the TCP/IP library has known stability issues.  Unfortunately the later versions of DirectPlay are so different from 4.0 that porting to them is beyond the capabilities of our budget.  I know many people who do play COG over TCP/IP with great success, and I myself have played hundreds of hours over our LAN without any serious issues.

So, I can safely infer that you can't afford to fix it, and those of us that cannot enjoy a multiplayer TCP/IP are S. O. L.?

macsporan -> RE: TCP/IP Appeal (3/15/2007 6:19:58 AM)

Dear Ericbabe,

I know seven people who can't play this game, at all. Are you saying that it's our fault?

Are you a matrix apparatchik of some kind?

If so what part of "it doesn't work please fix it" don't these people understand?

I don't give a rats how much it costs them. That is not my problem.

People who release dodgy software that you can't play over the internet should be sued in my opinion.

Fix it. Fix it. Fix it.

If you are not a matrix apparatchik why are you defending their incompetence?

Mac.

Erik Rutins -> RE: TCP/IP Appeal (3/15/2007 6:52:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: macsporan
If you are not a matrix apparatchik why are you defending their incompetence?

What is this "matrix apparatchik" stuff? The previous statement still holds:

quote:

For any critical TCP/IP issues in the current version, we will investigate and fix them, but the developers are currently being kept very busy by their newest release and simply don't have the time to take another look at this until the second FOF update is done.

The second FOF update is not yet done, though at this point it's very close. Eric is correct that ripping out the current TCP/IP code is not going to happen, but fixing any remaining issues should be possible. FOF TCP/IP for the second update is working fine in multiple tests, so hopefully the same fixes will carry over to COG.

Regards,

- Erik

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI