Generals (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865

hotdog433 -> Generals (1/12/2007 12:32:41 AM)

is there a way in the upcoming patch that the generals at the start of the game could be already assinged to the appropriate theatre

Gil R. -> RE: Generals (1/13/2007 2:29:13 AM)

You're referring to the Standard scenario, I take it?

This is more difficult than you'd think. First, there are 1000 generals. But assuming that we just do this for the 25-percenters and 100-percenters, we'd have some choices. Would we put the generals in the theater where they made their name or had their highest command, or where they first were promoted to general (assuming they weren't one already in 1861). More importantly, generals will appear in whichever province we assign them in the Commanders.txt file, but what happens if that province is already in enemy hands? If we make western generals appear in Memphis and Memphis is taken, should they pop up there anyway? To have them pop up elsewhere -- i.e., tell the computer to look for another city that's not yet captured -- would require additional programming. Since generals can get to any province that isn't west of the Mississippi River within two turns I'm not sure it's worth the programming, much as I recognize that it would be preferable to have generals appear in the appropriate theaters.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Generals (1/13/2007 4:59:12 AM)

Gil,

Those are definitely considerations, I agree. I think however that the main request is to just have the starting generals that show up on Turn 1 already pre-assigned to the appropriate theater and co-located with their commands rather than leaving the player to decide where to assign them.

Regards,

- Erik

hotdog433 -> RE: Generals (1/13/2007 12:46:37 PM)

yes sorry just the starting generals but i think the dates need to be reworked for some of the generals i just think that it is a bit out at the moment and it would have to be were they made there name as there rank is not always a way to judge them

rook749 -> RE: Generals (1/13/2007 5:42:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

You're referring to the Standard scenario, I take it?

This is more difficult than you'd think. First, there are 1000 generals. But assuming that we just do this for the 25-percenters and 100-percenters, we'd have some choices. Would we put the generals in the theater where they made their name or had their highest command, or where they first were promoted to general (assuming they weren't one already in 1861). More importantly, generals will appear in whichever province we assign them in the Commanders.txt file, but what happens if that province is already in enemy hands? If we make western generals appear in Memphis and Memphis is taken, should they pop up there anyway? To have them pop up elsewhere -- i.e., tell the computer to look for another city that's not yet captured -- would require additional programming. Since generals can get to any province that isn't west of the Mississippi River within two turns I'm not sure it's worth the programming, much as I recognize that it would be preferable to have generals appear in the appropriate theaters.

Either Scenario, Standard or July. I would have two starting locations for each side - for the Union Annapolis or Springfield and for the CSA Petersburg or Atlanta.

Also it would be nice if where possible, at the start of each scenario generals started in a province with the command at that time.

Rook

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI