Newbie but an oldie (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Tex Vindictive -> Newbie but an oldie (1/16/2007 5:40:08 AM)

Hello All, I'm Vinny and am I gamer.
Been gaming for years on the PC with multiplayer only. My gaming group, Texclan.com, mostly plays FPS and sport games, but I've been looking for game like this for awhile. Coming across the site for Matrix and this forum I think I found the kind of games I've been looking for. My question to you people is what game do you suggest as a beginner. I've played these kind of games before, but not multiplayer, so I would like your help to game with the community. Texclan also has a Ventrilo server for voice communication. So if we hook up for some good games, we can good voice communication while playing. Look forward to your help.

bostonrpgmania -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/16/2007 8:07:27 AM)

I think the most important issue is which theater you are interested in. West front or East front etc.
Knowledge about the battlefield will enhance your immersion factor a lot
That issue aside,
I would like to recommend either Korsun Pocket or Battles in Normandy
It is not difficult to learn and it is very interesting as a PBEM game

KP is now very cheap so probably you could start with it
(I paid 70 CAD when it was avaiable at retail.)

Tex Vindictive -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/16/2007 6:16:19 PM)

bostonrpgmania,
Does Korsun Pocket or Battles in Normandy have a lot of player for multiplay? I'll have to read the forums for info, but thank you for you input.  

iaidoka2 -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/17/2007 1:07:12 AM)

Check out the SSG forums at http://ssg.com.au/forums/index.php for people playing pbem games.

Skeleton -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/17/2007 1:27:23 AM)

TOAW 3, hands down. It is the type of game that takes some time to become decent at (as in months), but it is beyond easy to jump right in. As for "multiplayer", by this do you mean human to human? If so, TOAW 3 (along with War In the Pacific) are really the cream of the crop, imho. These two are the best money I have ever spent on pc games. Hope my opinions were of some help to you. Good luck, whatever your choice ends up being.

Adam Parker -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/17/2007 2:02:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tex Vindictive

Hello All, I'm Vinny and am I gamer.
Been gaming for years on the PC with multiplayer only. My gaming group... mostly plays FPS and sport games... My question to you people is what game do you suggest as a beginner.

Hi Vinny. A beginner's level multiplay war game will be hard to find on the PC. It depends on how many players you have.

My first sugestion would be PC Diplomacy by another company (I can't place the link here due to policy). It is a genuine MPG. Then there's always Risk 2.

For Matrix games I'd try Flashpoint Germany. A very easy to learn game (scheduled to be expanded by a second title covering the Mideast). A side's movement is based on a type of "action points". Therefore you could have 3 players per side taking control of a battalion or company and fighting with each other for access to those movement points.

Another suggestion would be Tin Soldiers Alexander and Tin Soldiers Julius Caesar. Beautiful looking games with the ability for players to split command.

After that, the next choices from Matrix would be more advanced war games such as Forge of Freedom or War in the Pacific.

I genuinely would suggest that you guys look at some great multiplay board games too, which are heavily played using Vassal, ADC2 or Cyberboard. www.consimworld.com is a great site to locate PC and board games you'd like to explore - including Matrix!

Adam.

Oleg Mastruko -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/17/2007 4:56:22 AM)

Gary Grigsby's World at War seems like an ideal game to start Vinny.

There is Gary Grigsby's World at War "plain", released couple years ago, and also World at War - A World Divided, improved new version with diplomacy and some other new options thrown in.

It is relatively simple game that can be played in multiplayer either using PBEM or TCP/IP so it seems like it should suit you just fine.

Tex Vindictive -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/17/2007 5:04:40 AM)

I D/L'd the demo For Liberty and 1848. I know turn based games. I use to play Ghangis Khan back in the day all the time(if you remember that game). I noticed with Liberty and 1848 you can play email or IP. I think my next questions are do any of these games have a server list of people available, or do you need to hook up with someone IP to IP? If its IP I can understand that. But no one in my gaming group are into playing turned based games. We play a lot of FPS (RVS, BF2 2142 and so on) but they're all brainwashed on playing World of Warcrack this winter. So I'm only want to play multilayer(human to human[:)]) and looking where to hook up if there's no server list. Feel free to stop by our Ventrilo server(18+please)ventrilo://storm.typefrag.com:3909/servername=Texclan Gaming. Maybe a little 1848 in the evenings. [:D] But for now I'm goiung to play some Lib + 1848 and learn how this interface works in the games.

Tex Vindictive -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/17/2007 5:09:40 AM)

I put a few channels in Vent for turned based games. Hope to see you there.

Rooster -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/17/2007 5:48:25 AM)

Any of the Airborne Assault games would be a good choice.  They have a high level of realism, but also afford a simple to use command structure, i.e. give orders and let your computer subordinates plan and execute.  Afterall, your the GENERAL da@# it!  [:D]

Rooster -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/17/2007 5:56:22 AM)

Hey. WAIT just a minute there pardner.

First you've got to take my picture off your website!

http://www.texclan.com/e107_plugins/autogallery/autogallery.php?show=Tex%20Clan%20Pics%2FTEX_Shadow.jpg

[:D]

Kuokkanen -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/17/2007 10:37:39 AM)

Why no one has mentioned Steel Panthers World at War? SPWAW is tactical level game where scale is 50 meters per hex, vehicles are moved individually and infantry pieces varies from 1 man (sniper) to 12 (squad). If you're interested more tactics than strategy, SPWAW would be your choice, it's best on business and it's available for free.

Would you like to know more?

Tex Vindictive -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/17/2007 9:05:36 PM)

Any Axis + Allies play, or is that the company to mention here?

bradfordkay -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/17/2007 9:33:42 PM)

Axis vs Allies??? May as well play Candyland! I thought that you were talking about real wargames here...

Tex Vindictive -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/17/2007 10:38:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

May as well play Candyland!

hahahahahaha [:D]

Ok, who's up for some Chutes and Ladder IP to IP?

Adam Parker -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/17/2007 10:47:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

Gary Grigsby's World at War seems like an ideal game to start Vinny.

Doh that's a hell of a Matrix MP PC game. Would you rate it beginner level or intermediate?

I look forward to many more posts from you Oleg now that you're blonde [:D][X(][:D]

Rooster -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/18/2007 4:17:40 AM)

I used to be in a chutes and ladders clan.  We rocked.  [:D]

Tex Vindictive -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/18/2007 4:00:23 PM)

I played 1848 last night with one of my clan guys. We enjoyed it. So we're looking for other games. I don't know if I ever saw Matrix games at Best Buy, but I'm going to look today. I think that World at War looks good. 
Game Well.

a white rabbit -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/19/2007 5:10:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marcus the leper

TOAW 3, hands down. It is the type of game that takes some time to become decent at (as in months), but it is beyond easy to jump right in. As for "multiplayer", by this do you mean human to human? If so, TOAW 3 (along with War In the Pacific) are really the cream of the crop, imho. These two are the best money I have ever spent on pc games. Hope my opinions were of some help to you. Good luck, whatever your choice ends up being.

..wot 'e said re t3..

..i've followed the series since its start, s'cool..

Tex Vindictive -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/20/2007 12:01:04 AM)

Is the PBEM a server hook up for players?

Hertston -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/20/2007 1:19:37 AM)

quote:

Nope, its PBEM.. you just e-mail your opponent the file after completing each turn. Don't worry, nothing else would be practical anyway (although hotseat is an option).

Tex Vindictive -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/21/2007 12:08:40 AM)

Play By EMail ok,
I went looking for Matrix games. No stores have them. Best Buy, Micro center. I guess I have to buy a game on line. Don't know if I want Liberty, Forge, or WAW.  Liberty has a complexity that's intermediate, but it has a game editor and I can make maps with more complexity. Forge seems to have the most postings in the forums out of the 3 which I would think more people are playing it. World at War can play up to 5 people, but how many times will more then 2 will play. Well I'll be looking for playing partners in a day or so when I pick one of the games. Then I get one of the other games, Then other and so on and so on.

Game Well

tc237 -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/21/2007 5:55:03 AM)

Isn't Conquest of the Agean multi-player?
You might give that a try Tex.

(from Philly?)

Hertston -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/21/2007 7:55:34 AM)

quote:

Don't know if I want Liberty, Forge, or WAW. 

I suspect what you really want is WitP and/or TAOW3, certainly in terms of multiplayer, but it might take a few years to realize it [;)]

a white rabbit -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/21/2007 12:57:12 PM)

quote:

..nahh, you just get addicted to playing real people, and after 18 months togethr, thru births, deaths, separations n stuff, welllll, you make real friends..

a white rabbit -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/21/2007 12:58:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

Nope, its PBEM.. you just e-mail your opponent the file after completing each turn. Don't worry, nothing else would be practical anyway (although hotseat is an option).

..apart of course, from the mel explaining that.....

Hertston -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/21/2007 2:41:27 PM)

Edit: Oh, forget it...

Tex Vindictive -> RE: Newbie but an oldie (1/21/2007 6:00:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tc237
(from Philly?)

Yep. That's why I want FL, the whole Valley Forge thing.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI