Wondering (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports

Alan_Bernardo -> Wondering (1/16/2007 11:04:28 PM)

Are any of these AARs-- very few of which are finished-- going to be started up again?

I enjoyed them emensely, but am disappointed that most of them have been finished. They all started grandly enough. Then they fizzled, seemingly disappearing.

Alanb

Dadaan -> RE: Wondering (1/17/2007 2:38:11 AM)

I've been wondering the same thing. You could always start your own!!!

Alan_Bernardo -> RE: Wondering (1/18/2007 4:24:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dadaan

I've been wondering the same thing. You could always start your own!!!

I could start my own. But if I thought I couldn't finish it I don't think I'd even start one. Still, while appreciative of the AARs that are here, I see one pair of players started two games and have yet to finish one.

That's too bad. I'm sure many of us enjoyed these accounts. They are usually quite instructive.

Alanb

genie144 -> RE: Wondering (1/19/2007 6:58:08 PM)

I am in complete agreement.  Does anyone ever finish this game???  Even Gil and Jchastain haven't completed theirs...

Sam

General Quarters -> RE: Wondering (1/19/2007 9:26:35 PM)

I suspect Gil sorta has his hands full right now. Have you seen all those generals bios he has been orchestrating and editing?

Gil R. -> RE: Wondering (1/20/2007 4:02:04 AM)

I'd like to continue, but first I was busy, then jchastain was busy, then I was busy, etc. I'm as curious as you are to see the outcome.

It's true that bios have been taking up a lot of my time, but most of it has been spent trying to replace my Toyota after someone who was speeding on any icy curve plowed into it while it was parked in Eric's driveway.

Alan_Bernardo -> RE: Wondering (1/20/2007 4:14:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

I'd like to continue, but first I was busy, then jchastain was busy, then I was busy, etc. I'm as curious as you are to see the outcome.

It's true that bios have been taking up a lot of my time, but most of it has been spent trying to replace my Toyota after someone who was speeding on any icy curve plowed into it while it was parked in Eric's driveway.

That reminds me of two years ago, on Martin Luther King Day, when some guy ran a red light at an intersection and clipped my front end as I try to avoid the collision. The impact tore the front passenger side of my Miata to bits. When I exited my car after the crash, the old gentleman was appolegetic, saying that it was his fault, being preoccupied with cleaning his windshield on the snowy afternoon.

But when the cops came and began to take statements, he suddenly began to imply that the accident was my fault. I was about to plant another age mark on the elderly gentleman's face, when the policeman stepped in. After some discussion, it was finally determined that he ran the light, plowing into me.

After all this it took me nearly a year to get all the insurrance straight, and I still had to pay, out of pocket, for the fee of the rental I had to get.

Anyhow, I can understand those who are actually in the process of working on the game not finishing an AAR. But the casual player should end what he began. All this is of course nothing new: of all the AARs ever started, I'll wager that 70% of them are never finished, which is a shame. Going too fast too quickly results in dropping out before the finish line is reached, is my take on all this.

Maybe once the patch is out we'll get some new AARs. I enjoyed the ones here with supreme satisfaction and glee. I don't know about anyone else, but I learn fastest when I go through a lot of AARs. They are like extended tutorials, enjoyable to read and highly instructive.

Alan

Drex -> RE: Wondering (1/21/2007 1:53:08 AM)

I've found the AARs to be the "true" tutorials. Without them I think we'd be fumbling in the  dark.

Gil R. -> RE: Wondering (1/21/2007 2:01:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alan_Bernardo

After all this it took me nearly a year to get all the insurrance straight, and I still had to pay, out of pocket, for the fee of the rental I had to get.

Luckily for me, that doesn't seem likely, since I wasn't even in the vehicle when it was hit, which makes the situation a whole lot more clear-cut.

Hard Sarge -> RE: Wondering (1/22/2007 4:43:54 PM)

the AARs from the beta side are HARD to keep going, most times when a new update comes up, it kills the old files, and we have to start over

and while working on the current update, while no one wants to admit it, we got warts, so most times, until we get the warts cleaned up, we don't want to show what is going on, and as there is new stuff in there too, we not sure what to show, as it may not be there when the patch is released

for the players, the HARD ones are when there are two people working on it

besides, things come up, RL and other things

Rabbitman -> RE: Wondering (1/23/2007 1:02:47 PM)

I want to put my hand up, to get my digital arse kicked aap style....well when I get this game anyway.

Alan_Bernardo -> RE: Wondering (1/24/2007 3:03:22 PM)

quote:

the AARs from the beta side are HARD to keep going, most times when a new update comes up, it kills the old files, and we have to start over

I can understand this.  But why you would even consider starting an AAR when you knew it couldn't run on for long doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

quote:

besides, things come up, RL and other things

This is really no excuse.  Real life things generally upset things for a while, with things returning to normal eventually.  Start to finish should be the motto.  If there's a good chance that finishing something isn't going to happen, then the best thing to do is to not to even start. 

Having said all this, I don't make any claims that everything I've started I've finished.  Things do happen.  Overall, though, more things that are started are never finshed.  Take a look at Wars.  Easily started, hardly ever finished. 

All in all I'd like to see more AARs.  Maybe they will start reappearing once the new patch is released.

Alanb

EUBanana -> RE: Wondering (1/24/2007 3:52:54 PM)

Well, I played it all the way through against the AI as the CSA (and won, not bad for a second attempt :D), but the game takes a large number of turns, writing up an AAR on it would be quite tough.

I have seen the CSA victory screen though!

General Quarters -> RE: Wondering (1/24/2007 5:29:32 PM)

I would not subscribe to a rule of 'never start unless you are sure to finish.' It is frustrating when the AAR does not continue, but I have learned a lot from reading them. I would not want people to avoid starting one out of fear they might not finish.

jonreb31 -> RE: Wondering (1/24/2007 8:50:06 PM)

I'd really love to start up my AARs again and finish them but ShootMe has disappeared without a word. He probably has a lot of college work to deal with so it's understandable.

If anyone wants to start another AAR with me I'm always free, and determined to post every detail about it. [:)]

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Wondering (1/27/2007 6:45:03 PM)

Sorry about the accident.[:(] I once accidently backed over a older fellow. I felt really bad about it. It was in a hotel parking lot. I got sued over that one. Lucky it was only minor injuries.[:(]
quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alan_Bernardo

Luckily for me, that doesn't seem likely, since I wasn't even in the vehicle when it was hit, which makes the situation a whole lot more clear-cut.

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Wondering (1/27/2007 6:47:32 PM)

The game can't be any loner than Witp-pbem. I played the same fellow in one game, a year and a half. So I do like the longer games. More time to readjust to bad mistakes.[:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI