Artillery and Supply (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room

lojishen -> Artillery and Supply (1/20/2007 10:57:15 AM)

It seems that 2 or 3 turns into a major batle, that 120% supply artillery is turned into a 1% artillery that is practically flashing red.

Is it worth setting the artillery to mobile for 5 or 10 turns, and trying to keep the supply number in the 20's or 30's by alternating mobile and dug in status, or do you just keep firing them at 1% untilt he battle is over?

The manual says that a unit will suffer desertions when in red supply state, but has anyone ever noticed 150mm howitzers wandering off from their artillery unit?

Other than that, I'm not sure of why you might try to manage your artillery so they stay in better supply status. Does anyone else have any ideas?

It seems that they regain supply at a constant rate. Is this true? For example, if the hex they are in supplies 4 percentage points of supply this turn, it will most likely supply 4 points the next turn.

Thanks for any insight you can provide on this. To sum up, the two main questions are: 1) Is there any disadvantage to firing your artillery continuously while at 1% supply status?, and 2) Do all units regain supply at a constant rate (assuming constant conditions in their current hex with no movement or firing) or do they regain more supply as the unit's general supply status improves? Of course, any general insight on how best to manage artillery would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Monkeys Brain -> RE: Artillery and Supply (1/20/2007 11:39:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lojishen

It seems that 2 or 3 turns into a major batle, that 120% supply artillery is turned into a 1% artillery that is practically flashing red.

Is it worth setting the artillery to mobile for 5 or 10 turns, and trying to keep the supply number in the 20's or 30's by alternating mobile and dug in status, or do you just keep firing them at 1% untilt he battle is over?

The manual says that a unit will suffer desertions when in red supply state, but has anyone ever noticed 150mm howitzers wandering off from their artillery unit?

Other than that, I'm not sure of why you might try to manage your artillery so they stay in better supply status. Does anyone else have any ideas?

It seems that they regain supply at a constant rate. Is this true? For example, if the hex they are in supplies 4 percentage points of supply this turn, it will most likely supply 4 points the next turn.

Thanks for any insight you can provide on this. To sum up, the two main questions are: 1) Is there any disadvantage to firing your artillery continuously while at 1% supply status?, and 2) Do all units regain supply at a constant rate (assuming constant conditions in their current hex with no movement or firing) or do they regain more supply as the unit's general supply status improves? Of course, any general insight on how best to manage artillery would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

First to clarify something, no units desert while in red only units that are out of supply (encircled) desert over time.

Look at 100 % supplyed arty, you will see something like Anti Personnel attack 7... After a few turns when it get's to 1% supply you will see that attack is now 4 (!).

Now, I think that is better to have some arty then no arty so don't worry too much about supply of arty, maybe to bring some HQ's beside them but they won't help much. It's simple they lose supply in attack and in defense and as they support or attack directly more time in one turn they tend to lose much supply.
You can sometimes rest them when some combat is finished. Like FiTE after capture of Kiev I rest that arty somewhat before I repair railroads etc to get them to Zaporozhe or Kharkov, or Sevastopol (Sivash).

Catch21 -> RE: Artillery and Supply (1/20/2007 4:37:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lojishen

1) Is there any disadvantage to firing your artillery continuously while at 1% supply status?
2) Do all units regain supply at a constant rate (assuming constant conditions in their current hex with no movement or firing) or do they regain more supply as the unit's general supply status improves?

Of course, any general insight on how best to manage artillery would be greatly appreciated.

1) Over and above the obvious loss of effectiveness in getting to 1% supply, I don't believe so since it doesn't get any worse. FWIW most players I think generally do use arty either offensively in their turn or defensively with it dug in or on TR- on the grounds that if they have the ammo they might as well use it. There are obviously exceptions to the rule and rare occasions where I'll rest arty deliberately- one example might be when I know an attack coming in will be all armour and my arty won't really make much of a difference.
2) All units start with a baseline supply replenishment rate used to adjust all units' supplies (unless out of supply) in the bookkeeping phase. But this can be modified by a number of factors. It's a difficult topic to get your head around starting out, but here's IMO the best place to do it- http://www.wargamer.com/toaw/scenplay/strategy.htm and read up on the supply section, though there's lots of other good advice there also.

Hope this helps.

lojishen -> RE: Artillery and Supply (1/21/2007 1:40:41 AM)

Thanks for the replies.  Great link!!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI