Questions on flanking penalty (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

Veers -> Questions on flanking penalty (1/25/2007 1:53:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeys Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: mantill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeys Brain

So your unit attacks but get shot up due to disengagement shot and then defends in the same turn with passive equipment also. So you attack but also get attacked with them getting flank attack.

part of TOAW magic.

I have brought some enlightenment here hehe.

Mr Brains

While what you say is true if you look a little further down the manual you will also see what I said was true as well. From the TOAW manual

In units attacked from any two, or more, non-adjacent hexes in
the same Turn, passively-defending equipment (such as Artillery)
will be forced to participate directly in combat. The attacks
need not be combined. One unit can “pin” from one direction,
while another executes the “Flanking” Attack. If a unit that attacked
earlier in the Turn is itself later attacked, the original Attack
is considered a “defense” for this purpose. This means that
if a unit attacks to the south, but is itself later attacked from the
north, it will suffer the Flank Attack penalty. Likewise, a unit that
attacks into two, or more, non-adjacent hexes will suffer a Flank
Attack from the defensive fire of the defending units. Units that
split into sub-units and attack into two or more non-adjacent
hexes will cause the parent unit (and any subsequently re-split
sub-units) to be subject to Flank Attacks if the sub-units recombine
afterwards on the same Turn that the sub-unit Attacks are
made. Once a unit has its flank “turned,” all further attacks in that
Turn against it, or by it (in the case of Defensive Fire against Attacking
units), will be a Flank Attack until it retreats (defenders)
or advances (attackers)
. Units are not subject to the Flank Attack
penalty immediately after any movement out of the hex from
which they were attacked, or attacked out of.

This is just splendid :(
I apologize. I was talking about TOAW COW not this piece of garbage software called TOAW 3.(and I mean it).

Interesting they revised the manual but somebody HAD to tell them to write the manual so that EVERYBODY UNDERSTANDS not just author himself (I presume James Mathews).

For God sake what means attacks into two non adjacent hexes? Then made diagram. I can barely understand that and I play TOAW for eons. And in fact, James wanted to ilustrate thing that happened to me. I think that when you attack at one hex and other enemy has pinned you 90 degrees or 180 degrees you can get attacked BY THAT UNIT and I think suffer flanking attack (not sure if then both units will give you flank spanking I admit but one for sure, logically).
And I think that it will not happen ALL THE TIME, which they forgot to write as well. Blah.

Same this subunit paragraph - is everything in TOAW 3 manual explained that way? Jesus Christ. When manual is wrote you must write so that last idiot understand that.

(and any subsequently re-split
sub-units) to be subject to Flank Attacks if the sub-units recombine
afterwards on the same Turn that the sub-unit Attacks are
made.

what this means is lot's of bollocks I guess. Because flanking attack is made on the attacking PHASE not afterwards AFTER YOU RECOMBINE your unit. I think that this is FALSE.

I am glad that I didn'd bought this piece of **** called TOAW 3 and I will stay on COW.

edit lol:

Units are not subject to the Flank Attack
penalty immediately after any movement out of the hex from
which they were attacked, or attacked out of.

So here comes dummy noob and want that you explain this? What means immeadiately? If I turn flanks again on some unit is that immediately or what? LOL LOL but again I admit this I don't understand. Poor noobs I say.

This is from Larry Fulkerson's excellent FitE AAR in the AAR section. Not wanting to clutter it up, I have moved it here.

First, Monkey Brain, that's an AAR, and a very good one, you'd do well not to clutter it up unnecessarily.
Second, cursing and swearing in the thread is totally unnecessary, and unwanted, I, and I am sure others, would appreciate it if you could tone it down a bit.
Third, please, learn how to make yourself coherent before you start rambling on about someone else's coherency.

Thank you,
Wyatt T. Courtney

P.S. Sorry for continuing this here, James and Ralph, but this one really got under my skin.

Monkeys Brain -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/25/2007 2:09:46 AM)

OK [sm=00000613.gif][sm=Crazy-1271.gif]

JAMiAM -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/25/2007 2:22:03 AM)

Hate to tell you this, Monkey Brains, but the flanking penalty was unchanged from TOAW-CoW, to TOAW III. Go back to CoW, if you wish, but you are not going to escape that behavior of the game engine.

As far as writing for the lowest idiot, I'm not sure that is the best idea. As TOAW is a fairly complex game, and one that simply does not appeal to the lowest common denominator, I assume a certain minimum amount of intelligence, and English literacy, on the part of the reader. If English is not your primary language, then you can always appeal to some of the highly talented, multi-lingual members of the community to translate into your native tongue, the passages that you are having difficulty with. I would suggest a bit more courtesy in your pleas though, than what you've shown in the quoted section above. That is, if you want any results.

If the problem is other than your English literacy, I'm not sure that I, or anyone else, will be able to help much...

freeboy -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/25/2007 2:25:51 AM)

These forums are to be some of the most helpfull around.. full of those who will go "the extra mile" so while u seem frustrated.. try asking nicely and u would be amazed at how far these nice folks can be...

JAMiAM -> Flanking attacks. (1/25/2007 2:38:20 AM)

I changed the name of the thread. As a general rule, I don't think it's appropriate to name other members in thread titles. If anyone feels a poster is being offensive, then please PM me, with the thread/post url's, and I'll look into it. Likewise, if you think something of dire importance has gone below the radar of the moderators here, then PM me. Thanks in advance.

Veers -> RE: Flanking attacks. (1/25/2007 3:05:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

I changed the name of the thread. As a general rule, I don't think it's appropriate to name other members in thread titles. If anyone feels a poster is being offensive, then please PM me, with the thread/post url's, and I'll look into it. Likewise, if you think something of dire importance has gone below the radar of the moderators here, then PM me. Thanks in advance.

Right'o. Sorry, James.

Monkeys Brain -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/25/2007 11:38:03 AM)

quote:

Hate to tell you this, Monkey Brains, but the flanking penalty was unchanged from TOAW-CoW, to TOAW III. Go back to CoW, if you wish, but you are not going to escape that behavior of the game engine.

As far as writing for the lowest idiot, I'm not sure that is the best idea. As TOAW is a fairly complex game, and one that simply does not appeal to the lowest common denominator, I assume a certain minimum amount of intelligence, and English literacy, on the part of the reader. If English is not your primary language, then you can always appeal to some of the highly talented, multi-lingual members of the community to translate into your native tongue, the passages that you are having difficulty with. I would suggest a bit more courtesy in your pleas though, than what you've shown in the quoted section above. That is, if you want any results.

If the problem is other than your English literacy, I'm not sure that I, or anyone else, will be able to help much...

Hm, I have maybe used a little bit not very nice words but again it's not problem with my English literacy. Manual needs to be written no to additionaly confuse people. But, they will get to you not to me - noobs. I bet 5$ that 90% don't understand this flanking penalty and you just said that they don't have enough intelligence, or writer didn't explained this good enough (I bet on latter).

Nothing further to add, except that maybe I can work on my ban on these boards. Well, that is also nice from time to time. Or maybe I will need to civilize myself. This post was nice, no insults and I guess no need for fanboys to stand to defend the foundations etc. Gee, revenge of the angry fanboys in theater near you.

Veers -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/25/2007 7:59:43 PM)

Wyatt "The TOAW III Fanboy" Courtney
[:D][sm=Cool-049.gif][sm=00000924.gif]

Monkeys Brain -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/25/2007 8:14:01 PM)

[sm=00000924.gif]

freeboy -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/25/2007 9:42:48 PM)

two hex not adjacent.. ie if your troops are in a line then the enemy cannot get two non adjacent hex... it is like a 120 angle in the hex or more.. do not know if that helps... sometimes u have to play the game, ask ? and read manual.. I find more info this way. remember that artillery and HQ are not treated the same in the penelty..

Monkeys Brain -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/25/2007 10:27:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

two hex not adjacent.. ie if your troops are in a line then the enemy cannot get two non adjacent hex... it is like a 120 angle in the hex or more.. do not know if that helps... sometimes u have to play the game, ask ? and read manual.. I find more info this way. remember that artillery and HQ are not treated the same in the penelty..

how artillery and hq are not treated the same?
btw, i understand flanking attacks...

freeboy -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/25/2007 11:51:16 PM)

seems that hq can move almost all the time without risk of attack, artillery too.. hq in a hex gives that benifit to other units, so if you are either retreating , or manuvering, if you move an hq int oa hex with other troops they can then move with either reduced or no risk, I am not 100 % sure if it is no risk or reduced.. seems most of the time u are getting the benifite and troops stacked with HQ are imune from attack when moving.. other than air attack, bloody stukas!

SMK-at-work -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/25/2007 11:52:13 PM)

I think he means that artilley and HQ's using their artillery function do not contribute to determining whether the attack is flanking or not, regardless fo where they are shooting from.

freeboy -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/26/2007 12:35:07 AM)

ok, I am lost..

SMK-at-work -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/26/2007 12:50:28 AM)

assume that 1 hex of enemy is being attacked by 1 hex of your troops - this is clearly not a flanking attack.

Now add another unit to the attack from teh opposite side of the enemy hex as the first one. 

This is a flanking attack - you are attacking teh enemy unit from 2 different directions.

However now consider that the 2nd unit is an artillery unit aiding the attack - it is still adjacent to the enemy but on the far side of the enemy hex from your ground troops making the attack.

This artillery unit does not convert the attack to a flanking attack, because all it is doing is bombarding, not attacking "on the ground".

Hope this helps.

freeboy -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/26/2007 1:09:46 AM)

I thought we where talking about opertunity fire.. oh well

Zort -> Op fire (1/26/2007 1:21:17 AM)

Talking about penalties and bonuses, I don't see in the manual what those equate to.  Is there anyway to know what these are?

Monkeys Brain -> RE: Op fire (1/26/2007 2:19:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zort

Talking about penalties and bonuses, I don't see in the manual what those equate to. Is there anyway to know what these are?

I will reveal to you one bonus. Listen carefully lol

One good bonus is to see your percent of RECCE. More the better, because if you have more than enemy unit then:

All unit strengths are increased by the unit's reconnaissance capability on the first round of combat. Reconnaissance capability has no effect on subsequent rounds. Example: If a unit has a anti-personnel strength of 15 and a reconnaissance capability of 30%, its effective anti-personnel strength on the first round of combat would be 19.

SMK-at-work -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/26/2007 3:35:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

I thought we where talking about opertunity fire.. oh well

oops....sorry....

Graymane -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/26/2007 4:12:04 PM)

Man, someone put up a screenshot for the rest of us mere mortals =)

JAMiAM -> RE: To Monkey Brain (1/26/2007 6:53:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

assume that 1 hex of enemy is being attacked by 1 hex of your troops - this is clearly not a flanking attack.

Now add another unit to the attack from teh opposite side of the enemy hex as the first one. 

This is a flanking attack - you are attacking teh enemy unit from 2 different directions.

However now consider that the 2nd unit is an artillery unit aiding the attack - it is still adjacent to the enemy but on the far side of the enemy hex from your ground troops making the attack.

This artillery unit does not convert the attack to a flanking attack, because all it is doing is bombarding, not attacking "on the ground".

Hope this helps.

I'm pretty sure, but not 100% positive, that adjacent artillery and HQ units do trigger the flanking penalty, since they are then treated as making limited attacks by the engine. I would need to set up new tests to absolutely confirm it, before it could be stated as gospel. Non-adjacent artillery and HQ units are treated differently, as they are making bombardment attacks, and so they definitely don't trigger the penalty.

JAMiAM -> RE: Op fire (1/26/2007 6:58:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zort

Talking about penalties and bonuses, I don't see in the manual what those equate to.  Is there anyway to know what these are?

The penalty is that the "passive defender" items of equipment in a unit that has had its flank turned, are now subject to direct fire AP and AT fire, instead of being sheltered from it. Passive defender equipment is never sheltered from bombardment losses though, and it will take losses from that type of fire, along with all the other soft targets in the hex (and given enough brute firepower, some armored targets, as well).

Zort -> RE: Op fire (1/26/2007 7:16:33 PM)

Jamiam, thanks. Having an idea on what and where penalties/bonuses are achieved is great.

Telumar -> Turned flank (1/27/2007 12:19:57 AM)

quote:

The penalty is that the "passive defender" items of equipment in a unit that has had its flank turned, are now subject to direct fire AP and AT fire, instead of being sheltered from it.

Just to get a bit clearer about when a unit's flank is turned and what effects there are:

[image]http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7039/flanksvs4.jpg[/image]

In picture one, unit A executes a normal attack on combat round one.

On combat round two, unit B executes an attack from a non-adjacent (to unit A's position) hex. As i understand it at this point the defender's flank is turned and passive defender equipment is now subject to direct fire from unit B.

On combat round three, units A and B attack simultaneously, and as i understand it, the defending unit's passive defender equipment is now subject to direct fire from both attacking units.

On the fourth combat round all three units attack. My question would be: Is the defender's passive defender equipment now also subject to unit C's direct fire, or are only the two non-adjacent units A and B getting the flank "bonus"?

ralphtricky -> RE: Turned flank (1/27/2007 12:59:34 AM)

If a unit's flank is turned, it's turned and any attacks go against passive equipment as well, so C would also get the benefit. In other words, in this example, after round 2, it doesn't matter who attacks, they will be flanking.

Telumar -> RE: Turned flank (1/27/2007 1:06:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

If a unit's flank is turned, it's turned and any attacks go against passive equipment as well, so C would also get the benefit.

Thank you, Ralph.[:)]

ralphtricky -> RE: Turned flank (1/27/2007 1:18:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

If a unit's flank is turned, it's turned and any attacks go against passive equipment as well, so C would also get the benefit.

Thank you, Ralph.[:)]

The other piece is that as far as I know, if the red Unit attacks Unit B in the first half on the turn, and Unit A attacks on Round 1, then the red unit is subject to the flanking penalty in that case too. It attacked through a hexside which set it's facing to that direction.

If the red Unit attacks Units A and B in the first half on the turn, then the red unit is subject to the flanking penalty in that case too, and it doesn't matter which direction the attack came from.

Veers -> RE: Turned flank (1/27/2007 2:26:27 AM)

quote:

Orig: Ralphy

....as far as I know...

Is this a good thing to be hearing form the guy that is editting our beloved game??? [:D]

quote:

Orig: Ralphy
If the red Unit attacks Units A and B in the first half on the turn, then the red unit is subject to the flanking penalty in that case too, and it doesn't matter which direction the attack came from.

IS the red unit subject to flanking during his attack?? Or only when he is attacked next round?

Zort -> RE: Turned flank (1/27/2007 4:16:39 AM)

Thanks, so if A and B attack in the first round do they get the flanking bonus on round two?

JAMiAM -> RE: Turned flank (1/27/2007 4:27:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veers
IS the red unit subject to flanking during his attack?? Or only when he is attacked next round?

If Red is player one, and attacks each of A & B, in turn, then his first attack is not subject to the flanking penalty. His second one, during his player turn is.

If Red is player two, and was attacked only by A during P1's player turn, then when he attacks B during his player turn, he will suffer the flanking penalty.

The flags are reset during the ABP.

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI