RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865

GenGrunt -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (3/6/2007 9:31:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

Hi Gil,

I assume u mean excluding 5 star too, right?. Just stating the obvius, i guess. Then again that has to be programmed too [:)]

Actually there were no 5 star generals in the civil war, The Union Army's highest rank was Lieutenant General (3 stars) and the Union Armies were commanded by senior Major Generals. The Confederate Army the highest rank was Full General (4 stars) and they also created a 3 Star rank for Corp Commanders (Jackson and Longstreet were both 3 stars)

http://www.militaryfactory.com/5_star_generals.asp

Walloc -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (3/6/2007 11:43:23 AM)

Hi,

No, but i was refering to in game. Its both possible and fairly doable to get one in game.

That said, i think the rank of generals in game is more symbolic than should be taken at face value.
Grant as 3 star general was GiC of all US armies. McClellan was that at 2 star. To make a difference in game at the different powers generals got during the war, 5 level of star's has been included. That doesnt necesarrily means 5 star's in real life, but what a 5 star general means is powers a general could have. Like Grant did as GiC.
Gil/Eric feel free to correct me if im way off base.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

christof139 -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (3/6/2007 3:24:39 PM)

Idea, not necessary, but just an idea. Have the general ranking as such:

1) Silver eagle or Oak leaf denoting Colonels. Can command Bdes. only.

2) Gold One-Star denoting Brigadier Generals, can command Bde. or Div.

3) Gold Two-Star denoting Major Generals, can command Bde., Div., or Corps.

4) Gold-Three Star denoting Lieutenant Generals, can command Bde., Div., Corps, or Army.

5) Gold Four-Star denoting Full Generals (none for the Union and only a couple for the South, although Grant could be placed here for convenience and playability), can command Bde., Div., Corps, or Army and will take command over allother Genrals in a Container.

Chris

Gil R. -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (3/6/2007 6:49:36 PM)

Walloc, you're right -- the 5-star is essentially an abstraction, and not a misguided claim that there were 5-star generals back then.

cristof139, it's an interesting idea, but not something we can implement anytime soon. If you add it to the Wish List thread (so it doesn't get buried) we'll consider it for FOF down the road.

jkBluesman -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (3/6/2007 6:56:36 PM)

McClellan never was in command of all Union armies. He commanded more than just the AoP but was strapped of his in the eve of the Peninsular Campaign given rights as Lincoln installed Pope. Halleck directed the armies more or less together with Lincoln until Grant became commander of all Union forces.

christof139 -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (3/6/2007 7:08:43 PM)

quote:

Idea, not necessary, but just an idea. Have the general ranking as such:

Doesn't matter IOTW. Chris

Walloc -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (3/6/2007 7:43:05 PM)

Hi,

Well according to my sources. Officially, McClellan was GiC of US army from 1st Nov 61 to 11 March 62. Taking over from W. Scott and Halleck taking over after on 23 July 62. Like u say that doesnt that mean that he had the same freedom as Grant later did, why in the context of 5 star I only mention Grant. Non the less he was GiC of the US army in that brief perioide as a 2 star general. My point being that the rank/title a general had didnt necesarrily carry over in the powers he had. Why I saw, as Gil confirms rank in the game is an abstraction.

If that wasnt clear my bad.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

General Quarters -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (3/7/2007 1:17:49 AM)

Horn's Army of Tennessee reports that, while Ky was still neutral, Buckner trained the Home Guad into the most disciplined, cohensive fighting force outside the US army regulars. That should suggest Disciplined and perhaps some othe traits.

christof139 -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (3/7/2007 1:55:18 AM)

quote:

Horn's Army of Tennessee reports that, while Ky was still neutral, Buckner trained the Home Guad into the most disciplined, cohensive fighting force outside the US army regulars. That should suggest Disciplined and perhaps some othe traits.

Thanx for that tidbit!!! I just recieved Horn's book and another about the AoT Arty. today in the mail. Wanted to buy them when they were new, but the $$ stopped me and etc., so I have them now fro much less $$.

Now, I can use that Kentucky info. for my TalonSoft mods of Murfreesboro.

Buckner was a pretty good leader.

Chris

Gil R. -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (4/5/2007 1:16:26 AM)

Getting back to an earlier discussion, Eric has programmed the patch now so that 1) 4-star and 5-star generals do not teach Heroes or Dreaded and 2) special abilities are only taught to units with a quality of 4.0+. These are excellent changes, since there's no longer a chance of poor units having excellent abilities. It also allows Heroes and Dreaded to be assigned to generals a bit more liberally. Already, I've given it to Forrest. Any more suggestions for which generals should get these two?

I should add that generals now spend more time early in the game raising units' quality than teaching them abilities, which is another great improvement. So essentially, we have units that start off pretty bad gaining in quality through combat and training, and after a while they're good enough to learn special abilities from generals (or to gain them through combat, which I believe can happen to a unit of any quality). This new, improved system more realistically models the way both sides' armies became more effective over time.

Drex -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (4/5/2007 3:01:44 AM)

Chamberlain should teach Heros.

Gil R. -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (4/5/2007 3:03:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drex

Chamberlain should teach Heros.

He's already down for that. We must have seen the same movie.

Drex -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (4/5/2007 6:39:25 AM)

Also Bartlett

Gil R. -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (4/5/2007 6:50:25 AM)

Good idea. I just gave him "Heroes."

jkBluesman -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (4/5/2007 1:59:11 PM)

What about Gibbon or Meredith as leaders of the Iron Brigade?

jkBluesman -> RE: Generals' Teachable Special Abilities (4/6/2007 2:03:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Good point about Longstreet and "Woodsman." Who else from the Wilderness should get that?

Richard H. Anderson?

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI