Error message on new maps..... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support

walshindustries -> Error message on new maps..... (2/14/2007 8:14:38 PM)

Any clue as to why I get the message: "Rectangle Provided was Invalid" whenever I try to play the new COI maps/operations? All of the older historic balttles play fine but cant seem to get the new "Fuger's Campaign" to work. Any ideas or suggestions?

Beeblebrox -> RE: Error message on new maps..... (2/14/2007 9:22:23 PM)

Yes, sorry that you have this problem.  This is the first time this has appeared with CoI since development started, though there have been many experiences in the past with the original releases and modern PC's, and community productions.

The first map of Fuger's Ostliche Wut should be ver8.

Could you try and create a custom scenario using this Map and see if it will open in the battle editor?

You can find all the Operations that are contained in the FOW Grand Campaign in the "Historical Operations" List.  These versions are stand-alone Operations, and can be played independantly of the Grand Campaign.

Smolensk Sector is the first.  Try some of the others and see if you get the Invalid Rectangle problme with them.

The other Operations are:

Operation Odin
Tactical Withdraw
Korps Abteilung
Counter Attack at Trigubovo
Battle of the Wolf
The Bear and the Viking
Struggle in Fastov
Hell's Gate
Lvov-Sandomierz Offensive
Ersatz Operations
Heeresgruppe Sudukraine

Thrash -> RE: Error message on new maps..... (2/14/2007 9:25:13 PM)

great, next bug

Beeblebrox -> RE: Error message on new maps..... (2/14/2007 9:38:54 PM)

Next bug? 

Well I suppose it's the one that all versions of Close Combat seem to be plagued with, and obviously CoI is no exception; occasionally it attracts imbeciles.  God knows why.  It's good game, but that's life I suppose...

walshindustries -> RE: Error message on new maps..... (2/14/2007 10:18:00 PM)

Thank you for you quick reply.

I tried all of the Operations with the following results.... Some worked, others give me the "rectangle" error message.

Smolensk Sector (NO)
Operation Odin (NO)
Tactical Withdraw (NO)
Korps Abteilung (YES)
Counter Attack at Trigubovo (YES)
Battle of the Wolf (YES)
The Bear and the Viking (NO)
Struggle in Fastov (NO)
Hell's Gate (YES)
Lvov-Sandomierz Offensive (NO)
Ersatz Operations (NO)
Heeresgruppe Sudukraine (NO)

Tried to use ver8 map in Scenario Editor, was able to set up and save the scenario; but it would not open in Play mode. Continue to get the error message "Rectangle Provided was Invalid".

Also, Fuger's Grand Campaign in Historic Campaings yields the same unsavory results.

Marc von Martial -> RE: Error message on new maps..... (2/14/2007 10:23:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thrash

great, next bug

Stop pissing around in threads where people ask for help. If you want to troll around and bitch do it in your own thread.

Beeblebrox -> RE: Error message on new maps..... (2/14/2007 10:34:57 PM)

and thank you for the detailed feedback!  Appreciated.

The Campaign uses ver8 as the first battle.

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing?  It's a pain in the *** but you never know, it could fix it.

I am assuming that these files are the same as all those who play without problems, so I think we also need to look at the system.

Check that your Video System Software/Driver and DirectX 9, O/S are as up to date as possible.  DirectX is one of the biggest problems the original CC games have running on more modern PC's.  Commonly, DirectPlay has to be disabled, but this should not happen with CoI.

I could make available a replacement copy of ver8.  If that works ok, then something has gone screwy with the installer/installation or there is a Graphics handling problem somewhere.  Also, you could zip up your installed copy of ver8 (I'd need all of them, i.e. ver8.*) and get it to me? I can see if it works on another system  One way or another, I am sure we can resolve this.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Error message on new maps..... (2/15/2007 12:08:20 AM)

I agree, try a reinstall making sure all background programs are disabled and see if that helps. If not, please post a DxDiag.

walshindustries -> RE: Error message on new maps..... (2/15/2007 3:29:11 AM)

Thanks for your help so far. I tried the uninstall/re-install but yield the same results. I did all of the updates, too...
I was able to get the problem to disappear by reducing the resolution of the game in the "options" setting. But because I normally run
2560 x 1600 on a 30" HD display without any problems, running on a lower res just isn' the same. I am attaching the DxDiag file here. Please have a look and let me know if anything jumps out.

Thanks and best regards, congrats on the new release!

Jim Walsh

Beeblebrox -> RE: Error message on new maps..... (2/15/2007 4:40:35 AM)

What's the highest resolution that your system will run CoI? 

Marc von Martial -> RE: Error message on new maps..... (2/15/2007 11:33:38 AM)

IIRC (from my own experience with this error message 8 or so years ago), it was also connected to 16bit vs. 24bit. I think back then I was running my monitor at 16bit, switching to 24bit fixed this problem. But that is from a really faded memory. Worth a try anyway.

walshindustries -> RE: Error message on new maps..... (2/15/2007 9:01:33 PM)

All maps are now working if the res is set to no more than 2048 x 1536. However, all of the older games and several of the newer operations like Hell's Gate, Battle of the Wolf etc. (noted above) all work in the higher resolution (2560 x 1600) Please advise if you have any fixes up your sleeve. I
must admit the high res on a 30" monitor is a completely different experience over the lower res game--not just in detail, but in world view as well.

Thanks for your efforts.
Best regards,

Jim Walsh

Beeblebrox -> RE: Error message on new maps..... (2/15/2007 10:00:25 PM)

All CC releases use 16 bit color, regardless of how your PC is set up.  It will switch during the launch of the game, and switch back on Exit.

2047x1536 is the highest resolution I have seen reported so far.  I do not think that upgrading any re-releases to accomodate bigger resolution will happen, but it is certainly on the agenda of subsequent releases.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI